Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scammers on forums
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Scammers on forums Reply with quote

I am on a small local buy/sell/trade forum that gets hammered with scam accounts and activity.. How does the samba filter all that garbage out? How can I let those moderators know specific strategies or ways to program the site so this does not happen so much?

Any ideas? Thanks!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Scammers on forums Reply with quote

If you see something posted in the Forums, hit "Report" next to the posting.

In the Classifieds, if you see a possible scam ad, hit Report in the ad.

- We have a lot of stuff in place that blocks it.
- The moderators remove it when seen.
- The admins check every new account for possible spammers and remove new spammer/scammer accounts every day.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Scammers on forums Reply with quote

Yes I have used those tools here on the samba in the past.

I'm asking about the stuff you use to block them. The other site I referenced is getting slammed with scam accounts every day.

As far as I can tell, they only have two or three people and removing those posts are their only recourse.

EverettB wrote:
If you see something posted in the Forums, hit "Report" next to the posting.

In the Classifieds, if you see a possible scam ad, hit Report in the ad.

- We have a lot of stuff in place that blocks it.
- The moderators remove it when seen.
- The admins check every new account for possible spammers and remove new spammer/scammer accounts every day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Scammers on forums Reply with quote

Ok, I was confused that you were asking how to help them.

We have some add-ons to this Forum software that let us look at things, some of which I programmed.

The Forums have a user list where it shows all of the new users and it can sort by different things.
We have one sort choice where it shows all new users who are posting web links, either in the Forum text or in their profile.
If it's someone brand new posting a link, this is a red flag that they are probably a spammer.

We also have a lot of web links and certain piece of text blocked so the person can't even post, they just get blocked automatically. This is 100s of links and we add more all the time.
This piece is a Forums add-on where there's a big list you can add/remove from so it compares against that listing.

So a lot of it is a manual process...
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Scammers on forums Reply with quote

i recall about 15 years ago, the Samba was being targeted by Nigerian scammers. I suggested to block all IP addresses from Nigeria. Is that still in place. Is that effective today?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: