Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broken fuse box and Relay questions
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Broken fuse box and Relay questions Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I was recently installing a USB plug into my 1969 411 (4 door). I used an old live (+) wire that was previously used for a radio that was no longer installed.

Everything went fine except when I was testing it by connecting my phone via a USB cable, the connection was "flaky" and would cut in and out.

I decided to trace the wiring back to the fuse box and noted that the problem would come and go depending if I pressed on the fuse box.

I thought it may have been dirty/loose connections so I carefully sprayed the connections in the fuse box with some aerosol Electrical contact cleaner and I heard a few "cracks" and the bottom of the fuse box separated!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am assuming that new fuse boxes are no longer available and am in the process of tracking down a good used unit. My understanding is that these fuse boxes were also used in Type 2's.

My next questions relate to the 2 "cans" that are plug into the bottom of the fuse box.

All on my lights etc worked fine prior to this issue but I just want to do the job correctly and plan for any "issues" that may arise during the installation of the new fuse box.

I have the following questions:

1. Headlight Relay - Is there a suitable new replacement that I can purchase for the 411941583?

Is the 111941583 suitable?

2. Turn Signal Relay - Can I use a new 211953215C in place of the original?

Is there anything else I should be doing when I swap out/in the new fuse box?

Cheers
Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken fuse box and Relay questions Reply with quote

The early realys can be difficult to source. You will have to post pictures of the pin outs and numbers on the bottom of the relays where they plug in and then look at the other relays.

For a start:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/115901589012?chn=ps&n...hkQAvD_BwE

Also tip the fusebox up and take a picture of the side where the relay pins plug in. Then we can see how much difference there is in the early fuse panels compared to a later one. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken fuse box and Relay questions Reply with quote

Hi Ray

Here's a few more photos.

I've had a look at the pin outs and compared them and when compared to the new units, there are only a few differences:

211953215C - OLD

49a
KBL

211953215C - NEW

49a
S or P or C

411941583 - OLD

56a
S
F

111941583 - NEW

56a
S
56b (apparently this is the same as F on the old one)

So, whilst the physical locations of the pins may not be the same to enable them to be plugged into the bottom of the fuse panel, am I correct in that the new relays will work with a bit of re-wiring?

Cheers
Greg

PS: I update my other post https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=788814 with some photos of the car as requested.
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken fuse box and Relay questions Reply with quote

The eraly (69-70 but not 71?) fuse boxes are known to break down by age, they used a better material later on.
I replaced my -70 fuse box with a -72, yes there was a few differences (dont remember exactely which) but it was quite easy to easy to work around them.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken fuse box and Relay questions Reply with quote

Thanks Lars

I’ve managed to find a “C” version of the fuse box and will spend some time figuring it out.

Do you know where I can find a wiring diagram for my 1969 411?

Cheers
Greg
Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Broken fuse box and Relay questions Reply with quote

lateral wrote:
Thanks Lars

I’ve managed to find a “C” version of the fuse box and will spend some time figuring it out.

Do you know where I can find a wiring diagram for my 1969 411?

Cheers
Greg

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt4.php

Cool
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
lateral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Broken fuse box and Relay questions Reply with quote

Thanks Lars

I’ve looked at these but I’m having trouble matching it with my actual wiring.

I’ll need to dedicate some time and look again.

Cheers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: