Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fumagalli 13" 5-spoke
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kafer52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Fumagalli 13" 5-spoke Reply with quote

The subject is not a typo. Back when I was in highschool in 1971 I purchased a set of 13 x 5" Fumagalli 5-spoke wheels from J.C. Whitney, using 6.00 x 13 front and wide B60-13 tires on the rear. In all my searching of the Web, I've never seen mention of these existing. I remember placing my J.C. Whitney order for a set of four at $9.98 ea and waiting about 8 months for delivery. When I finally received the wheels, the manufacture date stamped in the back was 6 months after my order date. I had added a thin chrome trim ring and lug nuts to go with the chrome center cap on my 1961 Turquoise Beetle sedan. The photo below is from a 1971 J.C. Whitney catalog I picked up for $5 on Ebay. I had to see if what I remembered about 13" Fumagallis was true or a dream. I figure I may be one of few folks still alive that knows these ever existed. Sure couldn't beat the Whitney prices back then.

I often wonder if I had one of only a handful that were ever sold. When I went off to college, my father sold the car, and a friend later told me sadly that he thought he saw my distinct wheel in a New Orleans junk yard. Now as I finish up my '52 Zwitter F.I. turbo restomod build, I have a set of the 15" Fumagallis front (4.5") and rear (7.0") to relive the nostalgia of my youth. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fumagalli 13" 5-spoke Reply with quote

kafer52 wrote:
The subject is not a typo. Back when I was in highschool in 1971 I purchased a set of 13 x 5" Fumagalli 5-spoke wheels from J.C. Whitney, using 6.00 x 13 front and wide B60-13 tires on the rear. In all my searching of the Web, I've never seen mention of these existing. I remember placing my J.C. Whitney order for a set of four at $9.98 ea and waiting about 8 months for delivery. When I finally received the wheels, the manufacture date stamped in the back was 6 months after my order date. I had added a thin chrome trim ring and lug nuts to go with the chrome center cap on my 1961 Turquoise Beetle sedan. The photo below is from a 1971 J.C. Whitney catalog I picked up for $5 on Ebay. I had to see if what I remembered about 13" Fumagallis was true or a dream. I figure I may be one of few folks still alive that knows these ever existed. Sure couldn't beat the Whitney prices back then.

I often wonder if I had one of only a handful that were ever sold. When I went off to college, my father sold the car, and a friend later told me sadly that he thought he saw my distinct wheel in a New Orleans junk yard. Now as I finish up my '52 Zwitter F.I. turbo restomod build, I have a set of the 15" Fumagallis front (4.5") and rear (7.0") to relive the nostalgia of my youth. Very Happy

Very cool! Totally news to me! Any pictures of the old '61 with the 13-inchers? Thanks for sharing!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kafer52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fumagalli 13" 5-spoke Reply with quote

Here are the only 2 photos ever taken of my Beetle. I was not much into photography, but loved that car. It had a Sun Super Tach I mounted on the dash, sort of psychedelic paisley headliner (my Mom and I installed), 8-track Player w/4 speakers, and a header system with dual mufflers that came out of the two normal body cutouts and pointed to each side. I also had dual small stinger pipes that could replace the mufflers and looked close to stock tips. It was sort of a poor highschool student's "Cal Look" before the term was coined.

I swapped the motor out one weekend with one from my friend's mom's '66 Beetle that was particularly fast. Did the swap Sat/Sun and gave him the car back plus $75 on Sunday evening. Smile The one photo is slowing from 60mph into a turn at an autocross. I was the 8th member of the New Orleans Volkswagen Association (NOVA) and autocrossed at all the events. I was the youngest Club member at 16, and needed a notarized release from my parents to autocross. I remember another Club member that had a cool Beetle w/ a Porsche 356 engine. Another had a Berry Mini-T w/180hp Corvair turbo that I autocrossed once and beat the 45 year-old doctor owner. This all brings back many memories. Very Happy

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fumagalli 13" 5-spoke Reply with quote

Cool! Just look at that rear wheel tuck!
kafer52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fumagalli 13" 5-spoke Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Cool! Just look at that rear wheel tuck!

Thankfully, I had limiting straps or I might have ended up on my head. Laughing
Stock Steve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Fumagalli 13" 5-spoke Reply with quote

kafer52 wrote:
Here are the only 2 photos ever taken of my Beetle. I was not much into photography, but loved that car. It had a Sun Super Tach I mounted on the dash, sort of psychedelic paisley headliner (my Mom and I installed), 8-track Player w/4 speakers, and a header system with dual mufflers that came out of the two normal body cutouts and pointed to each side. I also had dual small stinger pipes that could replace the mufflers and looked close to stock tips. It was sort of a poor highschool student's "Cal Look" before the term was coined.

I swapped the motor out one weekend with one from my friend's mom's '66 Beetle that was particularly fast. Did the swap Sat/Sun and gave him the car back plus $75 on Sunday evening. Smile The one photo is slowing from 60mph into a turn at an autocross. I was the 8th member of the New Orleans Volkswagen Association (NOVA) and autocrossed at all the events. I was the youngest Club member at 16, and needed a notarized release from my parents to autocross. I remember another Club member that had a cool Beetle w/ a Porsche 356 engine. Another had a Berry Mini-T w/180hp Corvair turbo that I autocrossed once and beat the 45 year-old doctor owner. This all brings back many memories. Very Happy

Really cool! Thanks so much for efforting those great old pictures!!
-----
Ich Bin Ein Facebooker: https://www.facebook.com/steve.fromsaac
-----
Join VVWCA: http://www.vvwca.com/
-----
Your source for old school metal tire valve caps: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1416217
-----
Thanks Veterans
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: