Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdxjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

What would be the ultimate VW/Porsche drivetrain transplant for a T1 356A?

I'm looking for quick and reliable B-road performance, and cruising at modern freeway speeds, without (much)increased weight.

This is for a numbers matching , low-mile OG survivor '56 1600 Coupe I've recently inherited from my father. It's been mothballed since soon after I was born in 1968, so no irreversible modification to the chassis!

I know I've got the rivet counting purists' hackles up already, but rest assured, I'm asking with the utmost respect for this very special and sentimental car. My father passed away just before Christmas, and his little 356 has been waiting over 50yrs for it's time in the sun again, but I want a proper driver, not a garage queen.

Of course, the original drivetrain will be refreshed prior to secure storage.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Are you concerned about making it seem or look totally original also? Or are you open to a little "Outlaw" attitude?

If you're willing to leave the 356 tech and want some good power that still works with the car. Just an idea, but I would consider a Typ4 2.0L from a 914 with a Raby DTM kit on it.
I built one for a 912 years ago and it was so much MORE than I ever even anticipated. Costs $1/3 of what any comparable build would cost. Parts are all off the shelf and you can get 110hp fairly easy.
Not just any type4 base is what you want, definitely start with the 2.0 from the 914 or 912E.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdxjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
Are you concerned about making it seem or look totally original also? Or are you open to a little "Outlaw" attitude?

If you're willing to leave the 356 tech and want some good power that still works with the car. Just an idea, but I would consider a Typ4 2.0L from a 914 with a Raby DTM kit on it.
I built one for a 912 years ago and it was so much MORE than I ever even anticipated. Costs $1/3 of what any comparable build would cost. Parts are all off the shelf and you can get 110hp fairly easy.
Not just any type4 base is what you want, definitely start with the 2.0 from the 914 or 912E.

No, not too concerned with appearance once the deck lid's closed.

I'm new to all things VW/Porsche, so bear with me. Is the 914 Type 4 significantly different from the bus Type 4? It's my understanding the bus cases can accept multiple sizes of cylinders to get the desired displacement?

I can get my hands on a Type 4 bus engine without much effort, but the Porsche variant seems a lot harder to come by.
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Lots of parts are ‘the same’ or interchangeable. On the Porsche version the most important part (in my opinion) is the heads.
In stock form the Bus heads would take a bunch of work to get to work anywhere close to what the 914 specs are in stock form.the crank and p/c’s are forged also, so better parts and already made so they can support some extra HP with not much effort. But those can be had aftermarket in nearly any flavor you want.
So- you can absolutely build a great T4 engine using a bus engine for most of it, but I’d use the 914 heads.
Another crazy option if you want to get serious is an Oxyboxer engine.that’s a Vanagon block with the water jackets cut off- so you adapt it from water cooled to air cooled. And with a couple tricks there’s almost no limit to how fat you can build one of those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdxjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Sounds good and thx for the info.

I should be able to source a T4 locally. I know one of my scooter buddies was selling one on FBM for $600 a couple weeks ago. Cyls/pistons are cheap, and 914 repop heads $1500-2500 depending on spec.

Can't find a price on the DTM kit, but like all things Raby it probably isn't cheap. Looks like the rest of the tins are available in kit form as well.

Purpose made off the shelf exhaust looks a bit more elusive, and what to do about the iggy? Convert the car to 12v looks like just swapping out the bulbs?

Lots to learn here. Glad I've got some help.

gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Since you mentioned "drivetrain transplant": I'd suggest (along with the Raby engine) installing a VW Type I swingaxle trans. I believe someone has developed a mount kit allowing this, without any body mods. You'd get the benefit of a more reliable synchronizing system, inexpensive re-gearing, upgraded differential, and you may even be able to squeeze in a Berg 5-speed. (I know Hayden @ WEVO was working on a 356 5-spd, but that used 901 gears, which aren't really an upgrade.) Perhaps talk to Mike @ Rancho about the 356/VW conversion kit ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

As a longterm owner of 356s and air cooled VWs (over 30 years) I would suggest trying out the original drivetrain first and my guess is you will just leave it alone. if your goal is cruising at modern speeds you will find the 356 does just that. I have stock 1600s in both of my cars and have never felt underpowered. I have over 100,000 miles on my coupe of 32 years and 70,000 miles on my cabriolet of 20 years, have driven them both all over the country on long trips and have never felt I needed "more".

I say this only because you mention the OG drivetrain will be refreshed before putting it away. Try the OG drivetrain in the car first and you will see the guys at Stuttgart were pretty good at what they did, even way back in 1956. Another idea is to drive someone else's 356 before making the decision.

Now, if your goal is to have a car with crazy HP and whatnot, then do something different but just know it will be a different car from what was originally engineered. By that I mean that while you can get big HP numbers from a VW engine, it will never have the torque a 356 engine has which is what you will feel seat of the pants in most of your driving. Again, just know it changes everything and if it were the better choice then most 356 owners would just put a VW engine in their car when needing a rebuild, but unless cost is the deciding factor they do not.

Either way, congratulations on a terrific car and family heirloom!

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Seabastion, I’m with you. 62 B Cab owner of 16 yrs & 32k miles, much of which has been Hwy trips. Keeping up with modern traffic, no problem. Had big bore kit installed when engine rebuilt a few yrs back.
Never felt the need for more power, I like your sugestion for OP to drive a well sorted 356 before any major engine changes.
pdxjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
As a longterm owner of 356s and air cooled VWs (over 30 years) I would suggest trying out the original drivetrain first and my guess is you will just leave it alone. if your goal is cruising at modern speeds you will find the 356 does just that. I have stock 1600s in both of my cars and have never felt underpowered. I have over 100,000 miles on my coupe of 32 years and 70,000 miles on my cabriolet of 20 years, have driven them both all over the country on long trips and have never felt I needed "more".

I say this only because you mention the OG drivetrain will be refreshed before putting it away. Try the OG drivetrain in the car first and you will see the guys at Stuttgart were pretty good at what they did, even way back in 1956. Another idea is to drive someone else's 356 before making the decision.

Now, if your goal is to have a car with crazy HP and whatnot, then do something different but just know it will be a different car from what was originally engineered. By that I mean that while you can get big HP numbers from a VW engine, it will never have the torque a 356 engine has which is what you will feel seat of the pants in most of your driving. Again, just know it changes everything and if it were the better choice then most 356 owners would just put a VW engine in their car when needing a rebuild, but unless cost is the deciding factor they do not.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

My intention has always been to get it running again as is first, and enjoy it the way it was intended before making any changes beyond refreshing the stock components. There will be plenty to do just getting it roadworthy; tires/wheels, suspension, brakes, fuel system, etc.

I remember from the time I drove it for a weekend almost 40yrs ago it having plenty of power to get me in trouble. I managed to spin it while hooning around in the hills near my dad's house, thankfully I didn't wrap it around an oak tree.

Unfortunately though, I know myself all too well, and have a hard time leaving things stock. Years of twostroke motorcycle restomods always have me on the hunt for better exhaust, bigger carbs, porting, etc. Despite knowing Yamaha R&D were way smarter than I'll ever be.

I know the sensible path is to leave the 356 alone and buy a Beetle to hotrod. Really, I'm just killing time now as I won't have my hands on the 356 or the $$$ to restore it until the estate and trust are settled, many months from now.

At this point, I'll be overjoyed just hearing it run again for the first time in 30yrs.

wagen19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Slip356 wrote:
Seabastion, I’m with you. 62 B Cab owner of 16 yrs & 32k miles, much of which has been Hwy trips. Keeping up with modern traffic, no problem. Had big bore kit installed when engine rebuilt a few yrs back.
Never felt the need for more power, I like your sugestion for OP to drive a well sorted 356 before any major engine changes.

Hello, I can completly confirm the both last opinions. In this case i would expct, your original 1956 A has the old 519 split case transmission with the 6 only bolts for the end gear. If so better not combine the "weak" box with a high torque engine or a more "brutal" big 200 clutch. I was very positivly surprised when I drove a 356 T6 Coupe, absolute original engine with only 60 hp. That thing made easyly 110 mph on german autobahn. (US speedo) Try a original 356 withe only 60 hp. The original mild cam brigs much torque at low rev. Very good for every day use.
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

pdxjim wrote:
Sebastian Gaeta wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

My intention has always been to get it running again as is first, and enjoy it the way it was intended before making any changes beyond refreshing the stock components. There will be plenty to do just getting it roadworthy; tires/wheels, suspension, brakes, fuel system, etc.

I remember from the time I drove it for a weekend almost 40yrs ago it having plenty of power to get me in trouble. I managed to spin it while hooning around in the hills near my dad's house, thankfully I didn't wrap it around an oak tree.

Unfortunately though, I know myself all too well, and have a hard time leaving things stock. Years of twostroke motorcycle restomods always have me on the hunt for better exhaust, bigger carbs, porting, etc. Despite knowing Yamaha R&D were way smarter than I'll ever be.

I know the sensible path is to leave the 356 alone and buy a Beetle to hotrod. Really, I'm just killing time now as I won't have my hands on the 356 or the $$$ to restore it until the estate and trust are settled, many months from now.

At this point, I'll be overjoyed just hearing it run again for the first time in 30yrs.

Ahh, got it. I have friends like you and they just can't help themselves! Smile

Then perhaps when looking for a different engine make sure it's a torquey one which is the biggest difference between the 356 and our beloved VW engines. As discussed a really cool setup is a Type 4 and there are there are a lot of options.

Again good luck with your car, it's a real gem Thumbs Up

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
As a longterm owner of 356s and air cooled VWs (over 30 years) I would suggest trying out the original drivetrain first and my guess is you will just leave it alone.

I'm another long term VW Porsche owner here, and I mostly agree. Do you want to spend many, many hours and many, many dollars experimenting with modifying the car, or do you want to drive it? A 60 hp engine is well matched to the brakes and suspension of a 356A. These cars are a lot of fun.
I would trust a later engine more than the '56 engine. The connecting rods are notoriously weak. I would try to find a C or Super engine from a 1960 or later car, give it a set of AA 86mm pistons, and install a dual master cylinder and start enjoying driving it.

Last edited by wdfifteen on Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

Looked a little closer to your pictures. You should order a set of engine lid bumpers. Yours are shot and the lid will knock the paint off of the body in no time. They are on back order at Stoddard, but AASE Sales has them in their catalog.

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsche-356-rubber-seals/products/g2j-i61-9i-108694

That's a beautiful car. I have a warm spot for '56 Porsches, so I envy you. I've owned my '56 Speedster and coupe since 1974 and been through a lot with them. After trying lots of modifications I've gone back to mostly stock. The coupe still has the 12 volt system, 1960 Super engine, and 741 transmission that I put in 30 years ago and I've driven it across country more than once. The Speedster has a modified 912 engine, but still has the 519 transmission, which is a terrible combination, but I'm not changing it now. I have installed dual master cylinders and LED lighting in both of them. Have fun with your car!!

pdxjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

wdfifteen wrote:
Looked a little closer to your pictures. You should order a set of engine lid bumpers. Yours are shot and the lid will knock the paint off of the body in no time. They are on back order at Stoddard, but AASE Sales has them in their catalog.

https://www.aasesales.com/collections/porsche-356-rubber-seals/products/g2j-i61-9i-108694

Looks like the bumpers you linked have a bung that fits the holes, but I believe the ones on my car affix with screws?

... and yes, besides the windshield and rear window seals, all the rubber has dried out and perished. The door glass wipers and rear window seals are in crumbles and the hood rubber is hard as a rock. Door seals are ok, but they'll get replaced as well. Does anywhere sells these rubber bits individually? I don't think I quite need the $1700 kit from Sierra Madre.
MoPor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

From a value point of view I would keep it stock. I did have a slightly modified big bore 912 engine in my A coupe and I thought it was a good amount of power for that car.

'58 356A coupe
'00 Boxster S
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

pdxjim wrote:

Looks like the bumpers you linked have a bung that fits the holes, but I believe the ones on my car affix with screws?

That's unusual. Both of my '56s use bumpers just like the ones I linked to. The hole should be about 1/4" in diameter.

pdxjim wrote:
. Does anywhere sells these rubber bits individually? I don't think I quite need the $1700 kit from Sierra Madre.

Aase Sales has individual rubber pieces, but I don't know if they have everything you need. Stoddard also sells individual rubber pieces. The new stuff isn't the same profile as original, but seems to work.

Last edited by wdfifteen on Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
From a value point of view I would keep it stock.

I would keep it stock just from the point of view of knowing what these cars were like when new. Brett Johnson would be all over this car looking for data for the next edition of his Originality book.
I found the photo of the interior very interesting. There has been an ongoing question as to how well the color of the plastic knobs matched the color of the steering wheel and steering column. From the photo, the answer is not very closely.
pdxjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate 356A T1 drivetrain transplant? Reply with quote

MoPor wrote:
From a value point of view I would keep it stock. I did have a slightly modified big bore 912 engine in my A coupe and I thought it was a good amount of power for that car.

This is the plan. Keep it stock and enjoy for this summer at least while building a hot 912 engine for the future.

I'm not terribly concerned with monetary value, although I do very much value originality on it's own merit. Even 70yrs ago, Porsche R&D knew way more than I ever will.

wdfifteen wrote:
I would keep it stock just from the point of view of knowing what these cars were like when new. Brett Johnson would be all over this car looking for data for the next edition of his Originality book.
I found the photo of the interior very interesting. There has been an ongoing question as to how well the color of the plastic knobs matched the color of the steering wheel and steering column. From the photo, the answer is not very closely.

This car has been in a dark garage under a cover for the past 50yrs. I imagine the plastic knobs/'wheel look exactly as they did in 1968.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: