Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting to wide five
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

On a 1970 bug, what are factory rear drum options? I was reading that the Thing drum works, but widens the rear track. Does it use the same shoes? I also thought that you could use a 67 drum with a spacer?
Are there any wide five rear disc conversions that don’t widen the track?
https://www.youtube.com/@AirSpooledGarage
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

I used 66-67 bug drums on my irs suspension in the back of my buggy.

CB might offer rear disks with zero offset, I know they do for the front
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

The conversion drums that Cip1 sells, look to be bus drums with the snout machined down? Is that possible?
https://www2.cip1.com/c31-501-615-211ag/
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

NJ John wrote:
On a 1970 bug, what are factory rear drum options? I was reading that the Thing drum works, but widens the rear track. Does it use the same shoes? I also thought that you could use a 67 drum with a spacer?
Are there any wide five rear disc conversions that don’t widen the track?

I was under the impression that rear Thing drums were the same as rear Type 3 (which use wider/bigger diameter shoes and backing plates); someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll learn something today as well).
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I used 66-67 bug drums on my irs suspension in the back of my buggy.

CB might offer rear disks with zero offset, I know they do for the front

This is what I have seen done.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

ALB wrote:
I was under the impression that rear Thing drums were the same as rear Type 3 (which use wider/bigger diameter shoes and backing plates); someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I'll learn something today as well).

The Thing uses Bug brakes parts with wide 5 drums. The rear drums are unique to the Thing, wider than any other Type 1 brake drum but brake internals are the same as the '68 up Bug.

Up front later Bugs can be converted to the wide 5 pattern using '66-'67 Bug front drums.
NJ John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

The Thing drums push the wheel out a bunch. Weird, I guess the drums are just thicker, yet still use the standard late beetle shoes.
I’ll probably go the 67 beetle drum route for the rear and disc conversion for the front. Thanks
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting to wide five Reply with quote

It's a fit, but it's a close fit. This was discussed over in the buggy forum at one point and I included some pictures and my own measurements.

The other thing to consider (no pun intended) is that the all the wide 5 rear drums, except the Thing or aftermarket conversion drums, will have short splines.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: