Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Metalblau L35
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
piet&som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Now this car surprizes me some more! I was vacuum cleaning the inside and look what was under the carpet...The spare keys!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Are the wipers wire or flat? Do you think those are the original semaphores? I have an august 53 and there does not seem to be a definitive answer on those two items. Do you have history on the car? Is it original paint?

Beautiful find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zwitterkafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

According to Progressive Refinements, the wire wipers ended on 21 Dec 1953. It would be remarkable if they are still present on this car though, and not since replaced with the '54 - '57 narrow flat arm version.
piet&som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
Are the wipers wire or flat? Do you think those are the original semaphores? I have an august 53 and there does not seem to be a definitive answer on those two items. Do you have history on the car? Is it original paint?

Beautiful find.

No, the wipers are a mix of 54 and 58 style. The semaphore (only one) is the original and does work! The other one is smooth. There's a little blue paint left on it...But what I checked today is the tilted regulator. It has 9J on it so it's the original too. The car has original paint, pretty weathered though. But that's due to bad quality of metallic paints back then.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you. I dont always trust progressive refinements accuracy. However that is definitive on the semaphore. Sigh, something else to look for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piet&som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

RUNKLE wrote:

So, have you peeked underneath those seat covers?

Looks to be a grayish-blue bedfordcord pattern. Not the fishbone like on the doors.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Wow! Another vote here to keep it mechanically sound, replace any deteriorated weatherstrips where needed, a new + & - battery straps, give the brakes a good look over and service (new master and wheel cylinders, rubber hoses, fluid flush), and a thorough cleaning and that's about it! Yeah, what awaits under those covers? Have you fired up the engine yet?

Bill B
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
piet&som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind reactions.
It's exactly what I'm doing now BulliBill. Last week I fired it up after a major check-up meaning valve job, carburator ultrasound clean, new points, ignition timed, fuel pump revision, cleaning the oil pick up sieve, swapped the fueltap, cleaned the tank, new belt, new oil and a general lubrication on moving parts.. After a couple times it fired right up!!
The old oil that I drained was crystal clear and a tiny little water came out. Same with the valve cover. It must have had a major maintanance right before it was put away for all those years.
Only minor point is a dry generator bearing and a funny starter bendix but it's getting better now.
Lots of cleaning to do now indeed!
But it's all the fun.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6KZZoLyatjuzjeP0MwSksw

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Does that mean the seats are not original to the car? They look like they could be in nice condition regardless. Look forward to seeing the progress on this car.
RUNKLE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

piet&som wrote:
RUNKLE wrote:
So, have you peeked underneath those seat covers?
Not yet, my German Shepard likes to sit in it. Very Happy

Fair enough. Very Happy

piet&som wrote:
Looks to be a grayish-blue bedfordcord pattern. Not the fishbone like on the doors.

Well, that was most unexpected.

Type 3
1968 Squareback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

is this a late 53 ? Since it also has 2 bolt hood hinges, I wouldn't be surprised really if it came herringbone/cord from factory. considering the originality of this car, and the seat covers obviously being period correct factory or dealer installed, and the neat cord underneath.... just guessing, but it all seems og to me. Maybe they used up the interior too fast and somebody got a factory replacement incl covers in the late 50s ? anyways, period correct and og to the car. Nice to see the immaculate cord, but personally I'd even put the covers back on. the red is just funky 1950s. Everybody today thinks 1950s were boring and conservative. They were not, necessarily. You could have your 1950s as bright as you wanted, back then. I love this sensational metallic blue 1953 !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

I'm really enjoying this thread so far Very Happy
Motor sounds really good Applause
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Absolutely love that color, this is the first time I've ever seen it. 🤩
piet&som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Who knows what happened with the upholstery, we'll never know. The first owner has long passed away. But it seems a professional job regarding the covers. Could well be installed by the dealer. Anyway, I like it this way. Btw, it's a september made.Rainy day today so I took off the doorpanel...

VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

Wauw, what a timecapsule. Great find Cool
piet&som
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

For the ones who are into extreme originality, There's a small difference in the armature of the heart tail lights. Mmm, interesting they were familiar with the problems in 54 already because the weak point of 53 is made more rugged in 54.. bulb socket broken..
53 to the left.

earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Metalblau L35 Reply with quote

piet&som wrote:
For the ones who are into extreme originality, There's a small difference in the armature of the heart tail lights. Mmm, interesting they were familiar with the problems in 54 already because the weak point of 53 is made more rugged in 54.. bulb socket broken..
53 to the left.

Is the exterior paint original? The interior paint is gorgeous. I wasnt aware of the detail differences for 53 and 54 taillights.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: