Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle salvage guide?
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExtraParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:45 pm    Post subject: Beetle salvage guide? Reply with quote

hey guys, if this already exists id appreciate being pointed in the right direction, i tried to search around for it but came up short.

Anyhoo, theres a bug sitting at my local tow yard and its gunna get crushed so i can likely get it for free. I have a bus, but i dont know anything about bugs really, or rebuilds, so i was hoping you guys could tell me if theres anything to look for to determine if its just plain unsalvagable. Im capable of rebuilding an engine to some degree im sure, and willing to kinda build it from the ground up, but i guess im talking more like structural integrity more or less as im no welder. Im not concerned with making it look pretty, i just wanna make it go, stop, and turn safely.

Also if someone knows about California title stuff, like i wouldnt be surprised if i had to try to pull one from the ethos, cuz who knows what corner of the woods this thing was pulled from and as its getting junked, i kinda doubt whoever had it removed provided any paperwork.

Ima go check it out tomorrow after work or thurs morning but i just kinda want to feel a little more prepared before i go.

Thanks.
OldSchoolVW's Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle salvage guide? Reply with quote

Ask the tow yard what kind of paperwork they can provide if you strike a deal. (They're going to want something for it.) Most likely a Bill of Sale is all they'll offer. Get the VIN off of the tunnel under the rear seat and ask the DMV if it is still in their system. If yes, they'll know who was the last registered owner and if any back registration fees are owed (that could be a deal killer). If it's no longer in the system, the DMV will tell you what it will take to generate a new title in your name. May be more bother and cost than you want to deal with ... unless you really want to save it from the crusher.

Post some photos of it if you can. There are lots of sharp eyes on The Samba that will let you know if it has potential as a driver project or if it's best hope of living on is as a donor car.

"Following distance is proportional to IQ."

'63 Beetle Sedan
'69 Beetle Sunroof
'70 Beetle Sedan
'73 Type 3 Fastback

Last edited by OldSchoolVW's on Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle salvage guide? Reply with quote

Being that it’s in California, I’d suspect that there’s some sort of “clean air tax credit” value attached to the car assuring that it ultimately gets crushed.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ExtraParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle salvage guide? Reply with quote

OldSchoolVW's wrote:
Ask the tow yard what kind of paperwork they can provide if you strike a deal. (They're going to want something for it.)....

...Post some photos of it if you can. There are lots of sharp eyes on The Samba that will let you know if it has potential as a driver project or if it's best hope of living on is as a donor car.

Yea the free part is just cuz its a super small town in the middle of nowhere and my buddy is good friends with the owner, he thinks he could snag it for free, we'll see.

Im gunna go check it out after work to scope the vin so i can see what kind of back reg there is or hopefully isnt. My phone camera sucks, but ill see if i can make it work.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle salvage guide? Reply with quote

Don't expect to get it for free. If it has been impounded by a tow company there may be laws requiring them to auction it off to cover legal impound fees. IF it's getting crushed it has value as scrap metal.
ExtraParts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle salvage guide? Reply with quote

Welp. Looks like reg is only gunna be like 150ish. Looks like it was last registered in 2000. The newer plate on the rear got me no results, but the older one with a different number on the front got me that. All other results generated match what im lookin at so im inclined to believe there wont be any curveballs when i speak with a human.

Its hard to check out the inside cuz its full of garbage, but besides structural like i dont care about the current interior. Its got the front seats and they dont look too poor from what i can see, dash is better than youd think looking at the rest of it, theres practically no pan in the back and its got plenty of rust, but i dunno, its a 67 and i think it looks pretty cool with its verrry fullllll patina. I couldnt get the engine bay open as its locked and basically on the ground... Any other deal breakers i should look for before i show interest?

Pictures look like crap, maybe ill have someone come with me next time who owns a capable phone.
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle salvage guide? Reply with quote

It's hard to know for sure without pictures, but from you description, that car is many thousands of dollars away from being a reliable driver. Rusty floor pans can likely equal rusty heater channels, which, if you don't weld, will be expensive to farm out.
Having not been on the road in 24 years means it's going to need absolutely everything gone through.

There's a very good chance you can buy a running, driving Beetle for less than you can get an old rusty project back on the road. But if you're up for the challenge, it's always cool to see another car brought back from the dead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: