Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split beetle window U channel
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Split beetle window U channel Reply with quote

Hi all,
How is the U channel for the window felt attached on to the window frame? Welded or screwed
Thanks Dave
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle window U channel Reply with quote

do you mean the rearward vertical piece? see screw indicated in this fig
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle window U channel Reply with quote

I was referring to No 32 & the down piece u channel
Thanks Dave
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle window U channel Reply with quote

Pre 50 has M6x15 DIN84 screws at the lower ends AND sheet metal screws (B3.5x12 DIN7511) to metal tabs inside the door.

Post 50 has only M6x15 DIN84 screws and the lower ends.
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Split beetle window U channel Reply with quote

Hi Mika,
Thank you for your information 👍
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle window U channel Reply with quote

i have these original bug U channels , one of em someone has tried to cover it with black velvet , maybe not a bad idea ???? what was originaly on these and what do folks do make em usable and not scratch the glass today .... Mika has new ones , what do folks do to those ???

the upper inner sides have a channel for rubber is that rubber available today ? what do i need to do to make em usable ???

the straight pieces may be NOS , velvet glued over metal U channel , look like it was profesionaly done but ages ago .

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Split beetle window U channel Reply with quote

i stripped em down , used paint stripper first . one had numerous layers of glue and paint .. one was pretty easy to get the rubber out the other was a real BEAR !!! all the rubber was rock hard old n glued in .... had to use a torch to soften things up and pic at the rubber , came out in 6 inch chunks , then a lot of wire brushing n cleaning to get em to this point .......

all i can see is kafer nostagia that has the replacment rubber for these ? its a rubber n felt kit ????? for 100 clams !!!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=404232

just squirted it with some black paint .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: