Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Road" tools?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

I guess I’m a little on the overkill side but it’s served me well.
I carry a throttle cable, clutch cable, coil, electronic distributor module, electric fuel pump, hiem joints and a fan belt along with all the tools necessary to change them out.
Oh. A spare tire and jack.
I’ve had to use a belt. Threw it and shredded it due to an over rev missing a gear on hard acceleration.
A hiem joint popped apart once and my sway bar once caught a lip on a parking lot entrance and jammed it to the point that I had to remove it to be able to steer. Bent the crap out of it as well as the lower control arm.
Had I not had the tools I would have been stranded.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

I carry an old Craftsman motorcycle tool roll similar to this -- https://cruztools.com/product/roadtech-m3-metric-tool-kit/

In addition:
    * 12v test light
    * flashlight
    * spark plugs
    * fan belt
    * clutch cable and nut
    * throttle cable and cable end
    * misc. bulbs and fuses
    * 1 qt Engine Oil
    * WD40
    * silicone self-fusing tape
    * roll of insulated wire
    * paracord

If I can't fix it with the above, I'll call for a ride or tow.
Bikerndiver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
slayer61 wrote:
Re-ring your 1776?

You planing on having to replace piston rings on the side of the road?

Just add a cell phone and credit card to your list and you're good.

No Glenn. We don't have a font for sarcasm, Rolling Eyes or I'd have used it there. I have no intention of re-ringing my motor on the side of the road.

I also should have mentioned that the cell phone & credit card are already in my kit with the pocket knife & multi tool.

Mine's pretty much a "city" car, but it does get out to the country now & again.

This trip was over 100 miles (round trip) Shocked and the longest we've taken to date!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like you, my wife and I are new to buggys. Our longest trip was 35 miles round trip. Until I build up a little confidence in the buggy, I see short trips only in our future. I can only drive it once a month right now. But, in June I will be able to drive it daily if I want to and I'll have time to go over it carefully and catch up on any maintenance that might be overdue. Then I'll be ready to drive it more and longer!!!
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: "Road" tools? Reply with quote

Bikerndiver wrote:
slayer61 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
slayer61 wrote:
Re-ring your 1776?

You planing on having to replace piston rings on the side of the road?

Just add a cell phone and credit card to your list and you're good.

No Glenn. We don't have a font for sarcasm, Rolling Eyes or I'd have used it there. I have no intention of re-ringing my motor on the side of the road.

I also should have mentioned that the cell phone & credit card are already in my kit with the pocket knife & multi tool.

Mine's pretty much a "city" car, but it does get out to the country now & again.

This trip was over 100 miles (round trip) Shocked and the longest we've taken to date!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Like you, my wife and I are new to buggys. Our longest trip was 35 miles round trip. Until I build up a little confidence in the buggy, I see short trips only in our future. I can only drive it once a month right now. But, in June I will be able to drive it daily if I want to and I'll have time to go over it carefully and catch up on any maintenance that might be overdue. Then I'll be ready to drive it more and longer!!!

Ours was built from the ground up, by me. I am familiar with every part of my buggy, and I'm at the point that I have complete faith in our buggy... BUT... (there's always a but, right? Wink ) There are a couple of things that I believe are prudent to carry with us after reading all of your comments...

1). A spare fan belt seems like a good idea... after all... it's needed to cool the engine.
2). Even modern cars keep spare fuses... a couple will be added to the "glove box".
3). Scotch 33+ and a bundle of zip ties. Always handy
4). A plug socket & spare plugs? When was the last time I actually fouled a plug??? Prolly not gonna happen Confused

Be safe guys and go out and drive your buggies! The season is coming!

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: