Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
crukab wrote:
I'd like to make it to 67 to retire and collect S.S.,

Do the math, I did and started SS at 62. With careful investing i'm doing better than waiting to 70, which is the max you can get.

I did the math and i'd be 84 before waiting was better. First off, I have to live that long. Secondly, I rather have the money now, when i'm healthy enough to enjoy it. I assume when i'm in my mid 80's my only real expense will be healthcare.

I'm just saying that waiting is NOT ALWAYS the best investment.

8 years is long time to wait for a 33% lift for the next 15 years.

There is an inflation protection that has some value, but that number of age 84 probably doesn’t include the gains on the money you didn’t have to spend pulling ‘early’ SS.

By the time I reach 84 health care will be nationalized, or at least it will be in the States I want to live in. It’s inevitable the high -producing states will go their own route, tell the Fed to FU and get out of Medicare
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Professionally? Since the house is already paid for, my thought was within a few years of paying off the shop. However, both properties were just reassessed at 4x their previous value, looks like I’ll be working full time just to pay the fucking government.

If you work on them every day, it’s just another day. If I stay at home, the ever growing honey-do list makes me work with muscle groups that I don’t normally use, that’s when it hurts. I also tend to ache more on days off, so I’m fine coming to the shop & working.

However, I’m growing far less tolerant of stupid questions.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Quote:

However, I’m growing far less tolerant of stupid questions.

___
Quote:

I discovered the cure for this 15 years ago. Charge more

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Quote:
A blob of paint on the plug or fastener when you tightened/ torqued is good.

Great idea....but what generally happens is I forget if I tightened things up AFTER I get it all back together (splash pans, etc) so a blob of paint won't really help as I would have to take it all apart again to see the paint.

I just need to figure out another short term adaptive strategy
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

jspbtown wrote:
Quote:
A blob of paint on the plug or fastener when you tightened/ torqued is good.

Great idea....but what generally happens is I forget if I tightened things up AFTER I get it all back together (splash pans, etc) so a blob of paint won't really help as I would have to take it all apart again to see the paint.

I just need to figure out another short term adaptive strategy

This is what we call “nut & bolt” a car, put a wrench or socket on EVERY fastener that could have been loosened or removed during a job.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I was an accountant not a professional mechanic.
My skills were/are pretty nominal; enough to get it done but not necessarily done well.
At 71 I just do not have the interest in big mechanical work, whether on a car or our home. Thank goodness there are a couple of mechanics who work on air-cooled very close to us.

The march of time and aches and pain make wrenching much less interesting. For all of you that are still working and enjoying, good for you. Glad you can do something that you want.

For me I think by age 75 the bus will be gone and a bunch of the tools will be offered to the family as hand me downs. The spare parts will go with the bus or passed on to Robbie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I just plonked down $1500 for the low rise car lift for my last 10 years of wenching. A two post was close in cost but I just don’t need it. I’ve got a great Indy 15 minutes walk from my house, and if they close up shop I’ll buy it and turn it into a maker space.

It’s good to have a plan.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I just ran into this thread. It's an interesting read about the joys of aging, eh? I'm deep into my 50's. I have been shocked with how differently my body feels today than in my early 50's.
I asked my doctor recently if it was normal to be stiff and achy at this age when I get up from the couch after 20 minutes. He's 62 and responded "Duh". lol
How I also know that I'm older is watching some of my favorite Youtube channels. These guys are in their 30's doing mechanical, machinist or other types of restoration work on homes, cars, etc. I watch the video and think to myself "I'm too old to do a project like that". lol.
The other thing that makes me cringe is watching these younger guys not protecting their bodies. Grinding, sanding and welding without a respirator. Using brake clean or other chemicals without gloves so their bodies absorb the chemicals. Back in our day I don't think we knew the risks of not using PPE. Of course a lot of us smoked 40 years ago too. Ugh...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I just had a serious eye opener! Went bowling with the family yesterday. First time in about 35 years. Holy Crap those balls are heavy! Could not hang on to them with one hand, not enough strength in the fingers and it was instant pain in my wrist! Shocked

Ended up two handing them between my legs like a little kid! That was humbling!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I just ran into this thread. It's an interesting read about the joys of aging, eh? I'm deep into my 50's. I have been shocked with how differently my body feels today than in my early 50's.
I asked my doctor recently if it was normal to be stiff and achy at this age when I get up from the couch after 20 minutes. He's 62 and responded "Duh". lol

Bill - I'm 71 !!! Yesterday I installed an oil catch can in my 1988 Mazda truck, and today I'm going to swap in two spare AC switches on it as the AC electronics have been intermittent a couple of times in the last month, and April Warnecke says 86F today !!!

I have those two used parts, and they are not involved to swap out; I'll mark the removed parts and replaced parts. I need the system to be inoperable (no power to AC compressor) to troubleshoot correctly !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Bill - I'm 71 !!! Yesterday I installed an oil catch can in my 1988 Mazda truck, and today I'm going to swap in two spare AC switches on it as the AC electronics have been intermittent a couple of times in the last month, and April Warnecke says 86F today !!!

I have those two used parts, and they are not involved to swap out; I'll mark the removed parts and replaced parts. I need the system to be inoperable (no power to AC compressor) to troubleshoot correctly !!!

There's another gentleman who posts typically in the bay forum. I won't mention his name. But, I've seen him work in person and he's an animal! You'd think he's in his 30's. I believe he is 75! Very impressive.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I think differently at 64 then I did at 55 that's for sure. I have a lift and now am mostly doing doing customers cars that need tinkering. My father was cutting wood at 86 and still wrenching on his stuff.

I will still do things to Vans, but big stuff I farmout to a local shop, having a lift it's easier to get a freelance mechanic to come to your house.

Until I can't is the answer.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FPGT72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Currently 58, and I plan to retire from "real work" next year. I have no plans however to retire from turning wrenches. In fact I am really looking forward to having more time to do it.

Make no mistake I am MUCH older, with MUCH more mileage and just a little bit of battle damage to the old meat suit. So I do a great deal of sitting during my time in the shop.

I cant tell you how often I will sit there and say, you know after this song I will get back up and put that lawn mower blade back on......ok well perhaps the next song......well.....at least I got the blade off and sharpened.

I go very slow, and I do pay for it if I push, but I don't plan on stopping.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Soon you will realize, like many of us retired folk, that the " destination doesn't matter". The satisfaction and peace you find in your sometimes unnecessary and inexplicably subconscious delay tactics will have you out in the garage often. Activity will be varying between feverishly hammering away to finish by a certain time or unconsciously finding ways to extend the time required to accomplish the task with little to no advancement so you can enjoy yourself. Regardless the world outside will continue to spin into oblivion. Nobody knows,we shouldn't care and it wouldn't matter anyway. Just don't fall to the dark side. smham
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I'm 62 and retired. I find it relaxing to work on my older cars. I won't touch the new ones. Too complicated for me. That isn't relaxing at all.

I recently had a nasty bout with throat cancer and was so happy when I finally had enough strength to go out and tinker with my toys again, even if it was only for 10 minutes or so. As long as I have the strength I will wrench.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

I'm 65 and retired. Will always wrench on my car till I can't lift the wrench anymore. Problem is, the wife thinks I'm still 30 years old ad keeps giving me projects that wipe me out. So I try to hide in the garage as much as I can

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Mrs. Cusser and I consider work around the house, on the yard, taking care of 2 horses, senior softball, me working on vehicles as exercise too. Exercise is not limited to working out at a gym.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: At what age did you stop or plan to stop wrenching? Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Mrs. Cusser and I consider work around the house, on the yard, taking care of 2 horses, senior softball, me working on vehicles as exercise too. Exercise is not limited to working out at a gym.

Yes, some days the most exercise I get is from "car yoga." Laughing
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: