Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1st gen Jetta master cylinder reservoir question
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: 1st gen Jetta master cylinder reservoir question Reply with quote

On the cap of the master cylinder, there's a float and a 2 prong electrical plug. I'm guessing it's to alert you when the brake fluid is low before you get too low and get air in the lines.
If that's the case, pushing up on the float would break the connection turning off the light, and hanging down would make the light go on. Trouble is, there's no connection either up or down. And there's no part number anywhere on the cap or reservoir.

Is this how it's supposed to work?

Before I go to a dealer and buy a new one, I want to make sure it works like this

Thanks
Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1st gen Jetta master cylinder reservoir question Reply with quote

You are correct, that is the way it is supposed to work. Open circuit in one position, closed in other. You can always test the circuit by jumping together the two wires at the plug, and see if the brake light comes on.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1st gen Jetta master cylinder reservoir question Reply with quote

I thought that's how it worked. I took the cap off and checked it with an ohm meter and the switch inside the cap is bad. No way that I can see to take it apart and clean it so it'll have to be replaced. Looking online, I see they're reasonable.
Just wanted verification how it operated before I ordered a new one.

Thanks!

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: