Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any road grade too steep for a healthy EVC in 3rd Gear?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vndlfsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:50 am    Post subject: Any road grade too steep for a healthy EVC in 3rd Gear? Reply with quote

Hello,

My wife and I are planning a trip out west and would love to take our 1997 EVC through the Tetons.

The drivetrain is very healthy, the camper has about 138,000 miles on it and I’ve had everything checked over by our mechanic. I also have a scan gauge to monitor transmission fluid temperature.

I also understand that on steep grades my best practice is to use third gear to lock out fourth.

Question is, are there any fellow for users out there who have experience in navigating steep grades? Are there any recommendations as far as avoiding certain grades or can a healthy camper do just about anything as long as you’re monitoring Engine load and transmission fluid temperature?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Any road grade too steep for a healthy EVC in 3rd Gear? Reply with quote

'97 is a VR6, right? If so, then you'll be fine with just about anything we have out here in the West. We have a guy in our local camp group with an '00 EVC and he keeps up with me, even though I've got something like 60hp moh powah.

Just keep in mind that for every 1000ft of elevation gain your engine will lose 3% of power, so at 10k ft your 140hp engine will only be producing 98hp. At the same elevation my engine will be producing what your stock engine puts out at sea level.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Vndlfsn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Any road grade too steep for a healthy EVC in 3rd Gear? Reply with quote

Perfect! I figured as much but thought I would check with some more experienced folks.

We are super excited for our first major trip, the van is running really well if only I could get the cruise control working ha ha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Any road grade too steep for a healthy EVC in 3rd Gear? Reply with quote

yeah you should be great. I can get up the steepest highway grades in the Southern Appalachians at 55mph or so, no problem, with the 5-cylinder- in 3rd, that's right at 4-4100k rpm, which I am 100% comfortable running at. So, the 12valve VR-6 should roll up those grades no problem!
HeyCrutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Any road grade too steep for a healthy EVC in 3rd Gear? Reply with quote

I took my 1997 EVC through a ton of mountain passes last fall - Colorado, Utah, Nevada, and NorCal. The thoughest was the climb up a literal wall deep, deep in Capitol Reef NP (hey, the map said "2WD high clearance," haha).

Watch your Trans temps on the climbs. Use a scan gauge II if you don't already have one to see those. The day I climbed that wall in Cap Reef, the trans got way higher than I was comfortable with, but I was 20 miles and 2 hours into the journey and the wall was the only way out. the portion of Escalante that followed did not disappoint.

Don't be afraid to use 1s and 2nd gear locks as well - I used them a lot last fall just to prevent the trans from going back and forth between gears on some of those steeper climbs (rarely 1st, but def used 2nd lock a good bit, below 30 MPH).
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Any road grade too steep for a healthy EVC in 3rd Gear? Reply with quote

Do you have an external transmission cooler? If not, I'd get one......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: