Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A question about VW's past and its present issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ousned
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:48 pm    Post subject: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

For the past few months I've been thinking of buying my first car. As this is one of the costliest single things one typically buys in life, I've been doing a lot of research.

Obviously I've heard about the VW emissions cheating. But the more I dig into the story, the stranger it becomes.

It's first of all very disappointing. Not the least for ethical reasons: from what I understand, these cars were -engineered- to cheat on the emissions tests. These were engineers who knowingly wrote the software to do the cheating. Further, there were people who worked along with those engineers and people who supervised them and people who condoned their actions and perhaps even people who suggested the cheating in the first place, if it wasn't the engineers' idea to do that themselves. In short, these were not the actions of a few bad apples, but instead the result of collusion of many VW employees, all of which were acting very unethically. This is really disappointing that nobody had the ball bearings to speak up, and that the scandal only came to light by accident. Or maybe it wasn't a question of ball bearings, but rather lack of a conscience. I can't tell.

I'm a college student studying engineering. If I weren't being trained to be scientifically literate, I imagine this is the kind of stuff that might predispose me to think that the moon landings were a hoax and that Big Pharma is hiding breakthrough cancer drugs because it's more profitable to keep people sick than to cure them. These are all examples of things that require something of a mass conspiracy of many people at all different levels of an organization, not individual actors trying to mess things up on their own.

But then I wondered, is it really surprising after all, to expect this kind of unethical behavior from the company that once built cars for the losing side of WWII? I must've fallen asleep that day in history class, but I read on my own that VW, Benz, Porsche, and BMW were all major participants in the German war effort. It's mind-boggling to me right now that these companies, all of which are guilty of committing war crimes against Allied forces and civilians, were allowed to persist after the war. What's more, BMW and Benz are even considered symbols of luxury today.

Wtf? Can somebody explain this to me?

Last edited by Ousned on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

hmmm, a lot to unpack and a first post so a strong whiff of trolling too...

yes, it's disappointing that VAG chose to cheat. but then if they couldn't easily make a compliant diesel then others will have cheated also. oh look, nissan/renault have been found out too. car makers exist to make money. they have no interest in making 'the best that mankind can make' because they are looking at turnover and profit. they didn't get to the top by being nice.
as for linking it to a national trait, well that's a slippery slope. what about IBM, ford maybe even nasa? making weapons isn't a crime, especially if you call it defence.
the reality is that we are all complicit in this. do you agonize that your clothes were made in a sweat shop? that african children slaved to obtain the elements to make your mobile? no, we all look the other way or delude ourselves - 'look, the chickens on this label are in a nice farmyard...'

so I suggest you choose a car based on reliability/practicality surveys and styling rather than fall into the rabbit hole of ethical issues.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...

Last edited by finster on Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

finster wrote:
hmmm, a lot to unpack and a first post so a strong whiff of trolling too...

Hum...

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

A couple points here. VW was not the first and will not be the last automotive company to dabble in deceit and lies. That has been going on as long as there have been roads to drive on and there are more was to practice this type of marketing being invented every day!

Being a one man ethics enforcer is a dead end. Put it all behind you or it will drive you off the deep end and go choose a vehicle that suites your needs from a dealer that has a track record of excellent customer service.

End of story.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

Well here’s some dirty laundry that you could dwell on. All you can do is learn from it. Very ugly isn’t it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next 3 pages are pg 86 of my gallery photos. Don’t buy a Toyota they did a number of ugly things too.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

Ousned wrote:

I read on my own that VW, Benz, Porsche, and BMW were all major participants in the German war effort. It's mind-boggling to me right now that these companies, all of which are guilty of committing war crimes against Allied forces and civilians, were allowed to persist after the war. What's more, BMW and Benz are even considered symbols of luxury today.

Wtf? Can somebody explain this to me?

All companies in Germany were involved in the war effort, either voluntarily or by "persuasion". Henkel acquired the company I worked for in 2004, and I worked my last dozen years for them (my dad was in the Army Air Corps in WW2, and would've been quite upset); during WW2, Henkel and other companies used slave labor in their factories, and most likely there were numerous deaths...

In USA, GM, Ford, etc. suspended manufacture of cars and built tanks, trucks, etc., for the war. Much of that work was done by women.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

Fuck your sentimental moral values about the War and the past. If I was buying a brand new car today it WOULD NOT be a Volkswagen. They are junk. If you live in the USA than buy an American made car.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Fuck your sentimental moral values about the War and the past. If I was buying a brand new car today it WOULD NOT be a Volkswagen. They are junk. If you live in the USA than buy an American made car.

How deep so you go there? Final vehicle assembly only? Each and every subcomponent? Even if the main assembly plant is domestic, components are sourced worldwide, even for "the big three" (I am old). Canadian content is common (and Canada is part of "America" as is Mexico, Brazil, ...)

To the O.P: If you want to talk company ethics... how about Ford, started and at the time led by an avowed supporter of Hitler and his anti-Semitic views.

And for honesty... GM's trucks had similar embedded software that recognized "test mode" from steering and other inputs to the main computer and made adjustments accordingly...

I am not in any way condoning this behavior, just being realistic that all mice play when the cat is away.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

And you have to be pretty thick/stubborn/daft not to recognize there is more than a little protectionism for the domestic market in the diesel-gate fiasco when a 12 mpg domestic diesel passes emissions and a 60 mpg foreign car does not... Rolling Eyes

It's not just VW that rigged things, the testing method was rigged too. Two cheaters in the same poker game but the guy who owns the house gets to deciding who is right...

There is nothing in my view that VW produces for sale that stands out above Toyota, Mazda, Nissan, Subaru anymore in my view. As for the domestic market - do they even make cars anymore? All I ever see on the lots is 4 X 4 trucks and SUVs. Not interested!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
If you live in the USA than buy an American made car.

"USA-Made Volkswagens

If you’re looking for a vehicle made right here in America, we are proud to tell you that Volkswagen is equipped with a fine lineup. As of 2022, the largest Volkswagen manufacturing plant in the USA is based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. There, they make a variety of different models"

GM Silverado is made in Silao, Mexico and some USA plants.

Dodge and Jeep are owned by Stellantis which is a European company.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

Still waiting for that econobox 'lil truck, like '74 Toyota 4 speed Lisa and I drove across the country in in '86.

Can you even get a vehicle without a tv screen?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Can you even get a vehicle without a tv screen?

No, cars are mandated to have rear view cameras.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

As a PSA I tape a picture of a clear road behind each rear facing camera I see.

Looking for moral validation in the corporate world is a futile exercise.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

interested to see if op comes back or has just 'wound us up to watch us go'

quote - 'how about Ford, started and at the time led by an avowed supporter of Hitler and his anti-Semitic views.'
I think it was the other way round...

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

finster wrote:
interested to see if op comes back or has just 'wound us up to watch us go'

quote - 'how about Ford, started and at the time led by an avowed supporter of Hitler and his anti-Semitic views.'
I think it was the other way round...

Kind of a mutual admiration society.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/11/henry-ford-anti-semitism/675911/
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/henryford-antisemitism/
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

My 1998 and 2004 Nissan Frontiers were made in USA as was our 2014 GMC Yukon.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

My 1998 and 2004 Nissan Frontiers were made in USA as was our 2014 GMC Yukon.

My 3 Subarus were made in Indiana,

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

Admin note:
The original thread starter has been banned as he was a spammer.
He came back and added some spam links to his profile and original post, which have been removed.

I'm leaving this thread for now since there's some discussion going on but it may be locked if it turns into pointless arguing back and forth.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

finster wrote:
<snip>...a first post so a strong whiff of trolling too....

Good call spotting the looozer.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: A question about VW's past and its present issues Reply with quote

To the Troll... VW is one of many that have been doing this sort of thing, they just drew the unlucky straw to get made an examle of. They probably pissed in the wrong politicians cheerios or something. You know the type, the same ones who try to prosecute a supposed crime... all while getting caught themselves. As for VWs problems, their largest issue is that they don't listen to the customers especially in some larger markets like the U.S. The CEO says the roof is on fire at VW. They should listen to those of us who want choice, and not be forced to buy what they push OR like many, move on from VW. Just a terrible marketing plan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: