Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intermittent Stall at Red Lights
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalforever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Stall at Red Lights Reply with quote

The O2 sensor is unplugged. How do I plug it back in? Sorry if this is a basic question.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Stall at Red Lights Reply with quote

TornadoVan wrote:
metalforever wrote:

Interesting comment. It hasn't been happening long at all and happened after the next day after filling up after some rains on US-1 near Santa Cruz (Gazo's Creek Alliance - this Gas station is a bit of a tourist trap).

I know exactly what gas station you're talking about. I grew up in Santa Cruz County. That place has been there for ages, closed and reopened numerous times under new management. That tells me it barely makes money which means it is unlikely to have had the tanks tested or replaced if they were leaking.

Burn up most of your tank of fuel, then refill and add a bottle of HEET. Chevron has the best quality fuel, based on my own experience over the years and it also has Techron added to it. I am amazed at how well Techron works to keep fuel systems clean. In the 25+ years I've been using it, I've never had a problem with dirty injectors. Most Chevron stations also sell bottles of Techron concentrate. It wouldn't hurt to throw a bottle of that in there as well. Spendy, but I swear it works great. I make sure that I use Chevron at least every 4th fillup, and add a bottle of concentrate 3-4 times a year.

Tanks in CA will get tested extensively. I doubt they are escaping that.

It’s much more likely the expansion tanks in the front of your T3 have pooped the sleeping area than you got bad , wet gas. There are a bunch of hoses and two plastic tanks which gather water nicely and dump it into your tank.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Stall at Red Lights Reply with quote

For what it’s worth…

We relocated camp this week after being mostly parked for six weeks.

Our fuel level was well below half a tank over that period, with the only drives being fives or so miles to town, and same back — about eight round-trips total.

I let the gas run down more than I typically do, and barely made it to town the last time before moving on. It acted like it was running out of gas, as it had when fast-idling when working in the engine bay a few days prior.

But cars don’t run and then drive several miles if running out of gas. I filled the tank and added a load of the red HEET. It ran fine for about thirty miles twice, then acted like it was rich and flooding. We pulled over twice, suspecting possibly the catalytic, and sure enough, the inlet temps were 450 inlet and EIGHT HUNDRED outlet. The 400 was normal, but in general I see 100-150 degrees higher on the outlet when all is good.

After the second stop, I added a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner, and idled a few minutes to get it to the injectors, shut down, and waited a half hour for it to get to work.

We fired it up and drove about 100 more miles to our destination, outlet temp was back to 550ish, and unless the catalytic is failing the issue is likely completely fixed.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Stall at Red Lights Reply with quote

Sorry for replying this late.

I stand by my original guess.

When you have a bunch of water in there and mix it with alcohol, then run it through the engine, you end up with a false lean condition. That water is effectively being turned into steam that is then registered as O2 by the O2 sensor. The ECU sees this as a lean condition, and so drives the mixture RICH. Now, you have water AND a rich condition leading to further incomplete combustion. The job of a catalytic convertor is to burn unburned or partially burned fuel up before it leaves the exhaust system, and that is exactly what it was doing, burning up extra fuel (the driven rich state). Do this long enough and you get increased outlet temps on the cat, as the cat is working overtime, just as you saw when you measured it.

Since you added injector cleaner and HEET, you've dealt with, and got rid of, the initial culprit. Don't worry about the cat being damaged as long as it didn't run like that for more than a couple hours, and the internal ceramic core didn't actually melt. You'd know if it did--that cat would have been glowing like a sunset at that point.

I used to add water to the intake of older cars, especially carb engines, to intentionally steam carbon out of the cylinders and to burn off any soot that may have accumulated in the cat. I called it a Hydro-Tune. Basically steam cleaned the combustion chamber and cat in less than 30 seconds. I've made hundreds of cars pass smog tests with this simple procedure.

I think you're golden, dude.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Intermittent Stall at Red Lights Reply with quote

Thanks, our issue has resurfaced a couple times but overall *seems* fixed.

We haven’t heard back from the OP — who isn’t me — and hope theirs is fixed, too.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: