Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to find a Vanagon "Junk Yard" in the PNW
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find a Vanagon "Junk Yard" in the PNW to source USED Reply with quote

one can always post a WTB line in their forum Signiture line and that will appear in every post that they post/reply.
it'll keep spreading the word..
but yes looking for some parts for these does take time..

and for the wipers effectiveness.
Rain-X (or off brand) and the rain-X fluid works wonders, I rarely use my wipers on my 80 and when I do it's almost always on the delay setting..
we get plenty of rain here in NY& New England.

as mentioned you likely need to service and exercise the pivot hinge point..
the pot metal base gets grabby to the thin metal arm. give them alot of exercise and flush with a light machine oil. *maybe after a paint touch up sets in.. but the OEM should be fine(ish)

markswagen wrote:
it should be allowed, but isn't, you have to put a wanted ad in the classifieds.
which is pointless IMHO, a parts asked for in here, has a lot better chance of being found, as someone who reads this thread, might just have what is needed, but that same person is not necessarily likely to go trolling through the classifieds on the off chance, that someone is looking for something that he may have in a box under 5 years worth of dust.
it's a shame, but rules are rules.
TornadoVan wrote:

Is there an appropriate place in these forums to ask people if they know where I can find a certain item?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TornadoVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find a Vanagon "Junk Yard" in the PNW to source USED Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Rain-X (or off brand) and the rain-X fluid works wonders, I rarely use my wipers on my 80 and when I do it's almost always on the delay setting..

Oh yeah. I use the full strength stuff once a month or so, and use the window cleaner with Rain-X built in whenever I clean my windshield. The problem with that is that stuff works better the more acute the windshield angle is. A Vanagon is almost a box so Rain-X doesn't work as well as on, say, a Citroen or an Olds Silhouette.

In High School, I had a friend that had a Datsun 510 that had a broken wiper motor. Being broke kids all the time back then, he simply Rain-X'ed that thing up once a week during winter, and forgot about it. Worked great. Faster you go, the better it works!
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to find a Vanagon "Junk Yard" in the PNW Reply with quote

"What ever happened to "Ben" who had a bunch of Vanagons in Black Diamond?"

I bought parts from him 8-9 years ago when he was in Kent. In his CL ads, he would have Auburn as a location and then somewhere else. Almost every time I stopped by he would never be there. He must have moved his operation multiple times. He had a ton of parts and sold me the nose section off a GL to replace a rusted one on my Syncro. As someone said before, it was best to buy in person.
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to find a Vanagon "Junk Yard" in the PNW to source USED Reply with quote

TornadoVan wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

Oh yeah. I use the full strength stuff once a month or so, and use the window cleaner with Rain-X built in whenever I clean my windshield. The problem with that is that stuff works better the more acute the windshield angle is. A Vanagon is almost a box so Rain-X doesn't work as well as on, say, a Citroen or an Olds Silhouette.

In High School, I had a friend that had a Datsun 510 that had a broken wiper motor. Being broke kids all the time back then, he simply Rain-X'ed that thing up once a week during winter, and forgot about it. Worked great. Faster you go, the better it works!

While it MAY work better on a sharper angle, it works very well on a Vanagon.
I seldom hafta use my wipers on "constant" setting. I set my delay to the longest setting and the rain-x does it's magic..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: