Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2013 VW CC-Brake issue
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:17 pm    Post subject: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

Replaced all brake pads the other day for maintenance (zero issues with brakes). Pedal was soft. So bled brakes 3 times (first time rear to front "protocol." When that didn't seem to work, started driver front 2nd time-it was better, so did it again that way). Brakes seemed fine for a couple days.

I was having trouble with an oil leak from somewhere up top, replaced some things previously & nothing seemed to work. Did a re-build on the vacuum pump & that stopped the oil leak. THEN a couple days later, while reversing, the brakes almost completely failed. Pedal goes about halfway, but very little brake pressure happening. I immediately put it in drive, and they seemed fine. Couldn't find any info during research. (that was yesterday). Today, while in reverse at a store, brakes did the same thing. Tried pulling back into parking space & now they do that going forward. I shut off engine, pumped brakes 4 times, held it down, started engine, in reverse same thing happens with pedal (halfway down & extremely little pressure). Had to call a friend to drive in front of me going home, in case I couldn't stop (at least I hit a friend). The braking goes from that to normal.

Considering it could be the brake booster vacuum hose? (or the check-valve attached to it & the vacuum pump)?

The vacuum pump, just coincidentally?

Or??? HELP!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

Dude, this is an aircooled VW site. Very few people will have any knowledge about your watercooled car. I would recommend going to VW Vortex

H2OSB
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

With the electric parking brake it is often necessary to put the vehicle into service mode before replacing the rear pads.
Did you do that?
BillBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Dude, this is an aircooled VW site. Very few people will have any knowledge about your watercooled car. I would recommend going to VW Vortex

H2OSB

Dude, this is a water-cooled VW forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

modok wrote:
With the electric parking brake it is often necessary to put the vehicle into service mode before replacing the rear pads.
Did you do that?

What do you mean by "service mode"? (sounds like I didn't)
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Did you do that?

^^ What it says.

Sorry but if you don't have the Service Manual, the right knowledge and a Computer to Read/Check/Write into your car, you should refrain to do service jobs in it.
It is the sad reality but your 2013 CC isn't a 1976 Dasher that most probably could be wrenched out with just a handful of handtools.

This is the case where a Dealer Job is faster ...and cheaper?
BillBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

TornadoRed06 wrote:
modok wrote:
Did you do that?

^^ What it says.

Sorry but if you don't have the Service Manual, the right knowledge and a Computer to Read/Check/Write into your car, you should refrain to do service jobs in it.
It is the sad reality but your 2013 CC isn't a 1976 Dasher that most probably could be wrenched out with just a handful of handtools.

This is the case where a Dealer Job is faster ...and cheaper?

If you don't know what "service mode" is, just admit it. Lack of knowledge is okay.

And apparently you are lucky enough to not know what dealers charge. Lucky you!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

Did you open the bleeder valves before you compressed the pistons back into the calipers?

If not, you will need to replace the master cylinder.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
BillBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
Did you open the bleeder valves before you compressed the pistons back into the calipers?

Not needed on this one.
TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

BillBrown wrote:

If you don't know what "service mode" is, just admit it. Lack of knowledge is okay.

Wrong!
MY07 and I pay Dealer charges, still. Albeit in my neck of woods, not in California.

But my message still is: If I do not know, I shouldn't touch.
You can disagree, but you will keep having a brake problem still. Wink
BillBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

TornadoRed06 wrote:
BillBrown wrote:

Wrong!
MY07 and I pay Dealer charges, still. Albeit in my neck of woods, not in California.

But my message still is: If I do not know, I shouldn't touch.
You can disagree, but you will keep having a brake problem still. Wink

I'm looking for the knowledge from people that work on their own cars. Thanks, though.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

BillBrown wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Not needed on this one.

By that response you have told me you that you didn’t open the bleeder screws, yet you are having all the symptoms of a fucked master cylinder…

Good luck.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
BillBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
BillBrown wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

Not needed on this one.

By that response you have told me you that you didn’t open the bleeder screws, yet you are having all the symptoms of a fucked master cylinder…

Good luck.

Explain why you are saying to open the bleeder screws before compressing the piston (and then I'll explain why that isn't necessary on this car).
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

Compressing the pistons on the calipers on these cars send all the shit that accumulate in the lines, back through the master cylinder. It also has a tendency to invert the seals in the master cylinder. Having experienced this twice on customer cars, I have never done it again, but constantly get to fix it when someone else does it.

Any time i suggest that it’s an issue some asshole says I’m full of shit, and then they get to replace a master cylinder.

So… if you compressed the pistons without opening the bleeder valves, & you mysteriously don’t have pedal pressure, or it slowly falls to the floor, then you will need a new master cylinder.

Or, if you depressed the brake pedal beyond its normal range of motion after changing the pads, you might have torn the seals on any rust buildup on the unused portion of the bore, either way you’re probably looking at a master cylinder.

TornadoRed06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 VW CC-Brake issue Reply with quote

@TDCTDI

Guy was so full of it that hasn't returned since after... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: