Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
E1 wrote:
Are you suggesting our 300,000-mile box had a cracked hub for 175,000 miles?

And that hubs crack at a certain mileage regardless of treatment and shifting methods, and that mechanical systems are all about years passed and good luck?

I do agree it might be wise for the OP to change the gear oil.

While I do certainly respect your interests in long transmission life, clean oil, the grounds theories, etc., the other “fix years before breakage” concepts have gotten to a point of being downright ridiculous, Sorry.

Its reasonable that your gearbox broke its square-cornered hub at 125,000, repaired with a new 1989.5 hub.
Then ran another 175,000 miles before breaking the 1989.5 hub.
That’s a reasonable 300,000 miles.

No.

We bought it with 237,799 on the gauge, exactly. We surmised after talking with every single PO (after buying it) that it probably had closer to 300 already.

We went 39k more on it before a rebuild.

The van came with all records from original owner in Dallas to Mile 219,000, passed through his daughter for she thought “at least 10,000 miles,” went to a second owner without records but he guessed 40-50,000 miles run without odometer (Mexico 8 times from Colorado), and that it had “nothing beyond basic maintenance,” third owner sold to us after she thought 10,000 miles with no major expenses, we needed rebuild after 39,000 miles of our ownership.

There’s no mystery about its actual longevity. Surely you can’t know. Ask the recent poster who got 400.

There’s also no truth to the idea that every VW gearbox in existence is grinding away in its filthy oil full of metal.

Let’s please stay on our planet, it’s Springtime. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

t3 kopf wrote:
Every Gowesty tech article is either "Buy this now or you will break down" or "our parts are not at fault for your breakdowns".

Or taking credit for others' work/products. Evil or Very Mad

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Lots of shit VW made was made out of glass. 020 transmissions being one of them

Second gear grind FTW!
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Happened to me twice towing a 17' Boston Whaler and motor with pre '91 3/4 sliders. Neither had any warning. Car ran fine with no trouble shifting or odd tranny noises and then it was in both 2nd and 3rd gear at the same time. Gearshift lever was frozen.

Duncan
LarsHepping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
Happened to me twice towing a 17' Boston Whaler and motor with pre '91 3/4 sliders. Neither had any warning. Car ran fine with no trouble shifting or odd tranny noises and then it was in both 2nd and 3rd gear at the same time. Gearshift lever was frozen.

Duncan

Oof! That sounds like a lot of weight. Was it within the recommended towing weight? Stock motor?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

……..
I drive it like I stole it. When it goes pop... oh well. shit happens
……..,
You guys make it sound like this shit is going to end up in the Smithsonian...Just drive and enjoy it. When the shit hits the fan deal with it.

I camp it like I stole it. After ithe top goes pop I sit in my chair. Laughing
I think most of us know its not an ideal vehicle as your only vehicle.
But stellar mechanikking, or being a pro mechanic will help a lot.

A bargain built gearbox, especially with a big engine, could be considered glass. I had a few of those (with a big engine). I almost gave up on Vanagons.
That sequence cost a more than a proper built gearbox.

A lot of nice sorted vans will end up parked behind barns as the skilled gearbox builders retire and a few key parts dry up. NLA
Not really the Smithsonian.
What if JPGroup starts making R&Ps? Shocked

Anyway that’s my pitch for getting your gearbox sorted sooner than later.
If you can, of course, and of you are a planner-type of owner.
Hundreds of van owners are NOT worrying about their gearbox, and are doing fine too.

And up your maintenance game ifyou have over-engined..
Twice the HP suggests a 1/4 service interval.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
Based on the towing I've done over the past 35 years I'd say 1,000 pounds is not much of a problem for these vans with a stock engine. Sure you may have to downshift on the hills but you'll get there. Folks have towed 6,000 pounds with these vans and commonly exceed the gross vehicle weight ratings just running around with accessories and gear on westfalias. I think you'll hear all kinds of numbers and experiences. So of course you can tow 2,000 pounds and yes you will be downshifting more often and stressing the tranny.
Boston Whaler 17' Montauk with 75 Johnson and trailer~2k. With an oil cooler and a new Matt Steedle 3/4, I wouldn't worry a bit about doing it again.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

BTW you guys have cheap parts through Weddle.
Gearbox parts are OEM priced this side of the pond.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Weddle’s focus is racing. Their gears are tougher, built to finish the race.
Not the long haul.
But you have to replace them every few seasons.

GTGears are built for longevity, but they’re more expensive too.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Not the long haul.

People whose gears can run 24 hours under *impossible loads* learn to make *stronger* gears, not crappy low-mile gears.

Yesterday you theorized that you know more about our gearbox’s history than we do, almost suggesting I lied, I reply with fact, you ignore.

I’ve gotten contacted by several owners or wannabe van owners, freaking out, hesitating to buy, thinking about selling before the Big Stranding, etc., all thanks to your Tranny Drama Unreality Show theories over this past year or so.

At some point, it seems obvious to wonder just exactly what your interests are.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

E1

Well, if you start your morning off thinking thoughts like this, you'll have your answer

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2456965.jpg
ThinkingD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Californio: Difficulty shifting between 3rd and 4th still drove fine, when in gear until it failed and stuck in 3rd.

Skills: it was a 5k (Can) rebuild with a solid list of new parts and pictures. Work was coordinated through Eurotech Motors in Almonte ON.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Second gear grind FTW!

Lol..yea, that too. or reverse that goes chug chug clang clang clang chug chug

my point is anything mechanical will wear out. faster if it's poorly engineered.

Sodo, people bought these brand new and they were used as daily drivers. If you refuse to maintain something, then you get what you deserve. Saying these are poor DD's is a reflection of the overall condition and the owners unwillingness to bring them up to snuff, not the vehicle itself.

I have driven my sharTTruck daily since about 2016. I have done nothing but oil changes since the build. Put in new E brake cables just because

everyone told me that 020 was going to shatter my first day out.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Sodo wrote:
Not the long haul.

People whose gears can run 24 hours under *impossible loads* learn to make *stronger* gears, not crappy low-mile gears.

That’s not how it works.
For racing you need big, tough gear teeth.
They aren’t as brittle but can’t last as long.
They have a lower rockwell gardness, and don’t crack.
And they are noisier. Noise can reduce lifespan.

Winners rebuild their gearboxes perhaps every season.
Losers tow in for the rebuild.
If you call Weddle moaning about gears that didn’t last in your RV they will tell you they spec their gears for racing, winning.

For our RVs we want hard-surfaced gears for long lifetime.
And small teeth for quietness & smooth running.
And we don’t land off a jump with the engine screaming at the top of its torque curve.

Sorry my POV doesn’t accommodate for your van usage.
I am camping now though, and i had a cup of tea and it was wonderful.
Some Vanagon owners spend like $30,$40k on their vans and want their gearboxes to run long and without worry. $15k on paint alone.
Thats a tall order for an over-engined van, more doable for a stock engine.
But you need the right gearbox builder.
My van looks like a barn find, but it has a nice gearbox.
Thats my POV.

And I just took my engine all apart, spent $30 on new rings, but only installed the oil rings (so using $10 of that $30).
I could claim success 450 miles from home, but probably should wait 5,000 miles (or50k) to make such a claim.

E1 you could lighten up a bit.
There are all kinds of van owners here that can read and understand the various points of view without your triggered tutelage.
Your interest in all van subjects is inspiring but maybe go easy on the (internal) gearbox advice .

Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Adding on to Sodo's comments above, the Weddle gears that many of us use to get our preferred 3rd gear and/or 4th gear ratios are designed to absorb abuse, and also meet a certain price point. The metallurgy is very good, and the toughness of the alloy that racers want in order to avoid gear breakage does not permit the surface hardness that we Westfalia drivers want in order to maximize gear life. Weddle tries to address this with case-hardening, which helps the teeth to last somewhat longer. But eventually, the case hardening pops off (called "spalling") and we get swarf and from that point, accelerating wear on these gears. Sand buggies, by contrast, don't drive to Patagonia.

The solutions include a more advan$ed alloy, and more preci$e hobbing of a better tooth de$ign. That is what Guard Transaxle (Paul Guard, aka "Gears") has kindly done for our little Vanagon community. De$pite my clever $pelling in this post, I strongly suspect that Paul and his manufacturer are selling their products almost at cost, which you can easily see by looking at how much more Albins is charging for similar technology that is not made for the lowly Vanagon.

Thanks, Gears, for solving a lot of the problems that we over-engined folks have created for ourselves.

Full disclosure: Our Synro SVX combo features Weddle 3rd and 4th gears and some of their other parts. In 2012, when that transaxle was rebuilt by Darryl Christiansen (RIP), there were no GT Gears products for our transaxles. When it's time for a rebuild, I think I will DIY and I know I will use GT Gears.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

I have a question!

Speaking statistically, is the 3-4 slider failure more a function of mileage on the transmission (assuming it has the older parts with the square cuts that are proven vulnerable) or is it a function of the number of gear shift cycles?

I ask because during the ownership of our Westy, dating back to 1994, the vast majority of the miles have been getting us from the midwest to the Rockies and beyond in as short a time as possible. In this scenario it is very possible that 1000 - 1500 miles were logged with less than twenty shifts from third to fourth, and vice versa. The only stops are to gas up (every 200+ miles or so) or to bivouac in a rest area.

Let's describe this as a low shift/mile ratio.

When we do get west, and in "vacation touring mode" we certainly do drive less miles with more shifts, but even then it is less shifting than my 12 month grocery getter (2000 4Runner with a five speed) sees. I may shift from third to fourth and vise versa several times in one mile. A high shift/mile ratio.

So, do the vulnerable parts suffer more from mileage or from the number of shifts, all else being equal?

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Riceye, great question.

Just to me, very subjective (!), here’s the worst wear points:
— Heat
— Old oil
— Wrong oil
— Full torque
— Anything but a buttery shift into a next gear, the harder the engagement the worse the wear (Obviously, gear-grinding!)
— Any downshift that changes rpm when the clutch comes out, the higher the rev difference, the worse the strain — biggest loser being the clutch
— Hard and fast on-throttle to off-throttle, and inversely

Rough-housing on dirt is harder than same on pavement, but high-speed runs at full-hot and especially on thinner oil and dare I say non-synthetic oil, I think, may be the worst of all just in sheer hard time spent at full-hot. Our van loves 55, puts up with 65 if gentle, hates 75, mechanically, pretty quickly.

Genuinely interested in others’ take on this…

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
E1 you could lighten up a bit.
There are all kinds of van owners here that can read and understand the various points of view without your triggered tutelage.
Your interest in all van subjects is inspiring but maybe go easy on the (internal) gearbox advice .

Perhaps we both could lighten up. Nobody here wants to read this, and I’ve not said a thing about internals beyond how to learn to not break them.

Why do you presume others’ input is less valid than yours? You know the guts better and that’s cool, and you’ve given a wealth of great advice over a long time! Genuinely appreciated and respected.

We get nowhere unless accepting others’ strengths. When some get 300,000 miles from an original box, like me, perhaps that could open discussion to why, rather than trying to suggest it wasn’t so.

Bottom line is people getting freaked out on the *chance* they need to blow a big wad when they well might not need to. If some have the money, great, but others don’t — and in general on Samba, they deserve advice beyond “throw parts at it.”

Make no mistake, we can afford nearly anything our van could throw at us. But just because we can, doesn’t mean we or others should — nor that there’s no other choice as a rule, nor driver input as a huge factor, maybe the biggest one.

This thread’s van has 102,000 miles. What I do not want is any inference that Vanagon ownership is the exclusive domain of people with money to burn, as evidenced on gearbox topics pretty much every time.

That said, we’re all in on Paul Guard’s products, with his knowledge also coming from racing.

Thanks. Peace.

— Colin Chapman
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
Riceye, great question.

Just to me, very subjective (!), here’s the worst wear points:
— Heat
— Old oil
— Wrong oil
— Full torque
— Anything but a buttery shift into a next gear, the harder the engagement the worse the wear (Obviously, gear-grinding!)
— Any downshift that changes rpm when the clutch comes out, the higher the rev difference, the worse the strain — biggest loser being the clutch
— Hard and fast on-throttle to off-throttle, and inversely

Rough-housing on dirt is harder than same on pavement, but high-speed runs at full-hot and especially on thinner oil and dare I say non-synthetic oil, I think, may be the worst of all just in sheer hard time spent at full-hot. Our van loves 55, puts up with 65 if gentle, hates 75, mechanically, pretty quickly.

Genuinely interested in others’ take on this…

Thanks for your quick reply, E1! I do agree with your list of general wear contributors, but my question specifically addresses the 3-4 slider hub and how the two scenarios may differ with respect to the part's longevity.

And I won't even mention how I generally avereage 75-80mph through North Dakota and Montana for three hours at a time. Even with my 5% larger tires, I know that ain't good.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Yes, my bad and sorry to be so general.

I think this warrants a dedicated thread, to be honest. Very subjective and interesting… my first thought would be “shift cycles” for sure, but there’s questions of heat and oiling and operational speed that makes it more interesting yet… in terms of what parts are being worn, their place in the system, and their durability.

And addressing speed, my comments are general in terms of weight being a huge factor. An empty van at 4,000 lbs. is obviously at far less stress in general than a fully-loaded Westy at 5,500 (we’re just over 5).

Go, Packers. Cool

— Colin Chapman
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

The 3/4 slider on my Syncro let go in the 150k range after a life of care by an experienced older stickshift driver who bought it new and cared well for it. Never offroaded. I got it from him and similarly kept stock tires on it and drove it respectfully - also never had the chance to offroad it.

The shifter jammed one day randomly and I crawled home in 2nd with the flashers on.

I bought parts from Weddle and other vendors, pulled the transaxle apart, and totally rebuilt it in my garage. Heavier gear case, S. African oiling bits, locking tab and stainless reinforcement on the main bearing, etc.

My assessment on the failure was as others have noted. The slider had sharp corners, versus the later sliders which were properly machined with a curve to prevent stress cracks.

I don't think it possible to differentiate between a slider failing from shift quantity, or heat, or abuse. Or the general wear to other parts which might be creating angular force on the 3/4 slider as slack develops elsewhere. As a former Powertrain Planner for GM, if a part is not properly engineered, it will fail from any or all of these contributors.

This is a frustrating fail, but the good news is when it fails, I'm not aware of instances of the entire gearbox getting instantly trashed - it's fairly benign. You just suddenly can't get 3/4 very well or at all. And if you know about it from discussions here and other websites (as did I that day), you won't angrily try to jam it into 3rd and destroy something. Instead, you'll hang your head for a second, then safely get the Van home to be worked on. So the constant discussion of it is an overall good thing, IMO.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: