Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

riceye wrote:

And I won't even mention how I generally avereage 75-80mph through North Dakota and Montana for three hours at a time. Even with my 5% larger tires, I know that ain't good.

Hmmm... Well, now I know I'm not the only person admitting this...

I don't know much science stuff. I just remember how in early days aircraft windows were square. They fell apart, and that is why we have oval windows on aircraft. Seems like just about any stress can cause cracks at square edges, be it heat cycles, vibration, torque, or what have you [general abuse].

Glad to see some courtesy/kindness coming back into the thread too.

-bobby
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

This topic “Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really?” Is pertinent and well-titled.
Those with young gearboxes can implement a proper maintenance procedure before the gearbox is worn out (unlike most others, driven with original factory gear oil until “the whine”),
Once there is a whine, its too late to start a maintenance program. The gearbox is done. Perhaps still driving, but used up.

But that pesky 3rd/4th hub can be replaced before it cracks apart. Like a timing belt can be replaced before it destroys the valves ( maybe pistons and heads too). And the beautiful thing is, you get new bearings too, and due to your smokin’ wallet, start a proper maintenance program for your bew bearings which will preserve the gears. Now you have a real nice trans!!!

riceye wrote:

Speaking statistically, is the 3-4 slider failure more a function of mileage on the transmission (assuming it has the older parts with the square cuts that are proven vulnerable) or is it a function of the number of gear shift cycles?
Wink
I ask because during the ownership of our Westy, dating back to 1994, the vast majority of the miles have been getting us from the midwest to the Rockies and beyond in as short a time as possible. In this scenario it is very possible that 1000 - 1500 miles were logged with less than twenty shifts from third to fourth, and vice versa. The only stops are to gas up (every 200+ miles or so) or to bivouac in a rest area.

Let's describe this as a low shift/mile ratio.

When we do get west, and in "vacation touring mode" we certainly do drive less miles with more shifts, but even then it is less shifting than my 12 month grocery getter (2000 4Runner with a five speed) sees. I may shift from third to fourth and vise versa several times in one mile. A high shift/mile ratio.

So, do the vulnerable parts suffer more from mileage or from the number of shifts, all else being equal?

The 3rd/4th hub cracks “appear” to be caused from axial fatigue loads. The helical cut of the gears causes an axial load thru the hub, to the mainshaft, when you accelerate or decelerate.
I don’t think you could shift often enough to fatigue the hub. Or accel/decel (roughly) often enough. Perhaps lugging could accumulate enough fatigue cycles to start a crack. Maybe hard shifting where the dogs grinding into engagement adds fatigue cycles. I haven’t heard anything definitive yet. Incidentally all the various fatigue offenses are cumulative. They add up.

This is a subject many are interested in.
The square corners are an engineering 101 “no-no” , so elementary, so intentional, it could be lumped in with “lifetime fluids” under intentional product obsolescence. Its a stress-riser, a deliberate feature on an engineering drawing. A tooling engineer designed a specific tool to cut those sharp corners, those stress-risers.
Not a chance in hell that it’s a suprise failure.
VW engineers were only surprised that hubs were failing while VW was still responsible for the vehicle reliability.
The rounded corners & nitriding of the 1989.5 update added substantial fatigue life, but applying proper engineering obsolescence, they still crack.
Just later, after VW is no longer responsible to the purchaser.

Link

This video demonstrates a current theory regarding thrust surface erosion due to sustained high speed driving on a Vanagon gearbox.
I would love to see your 4th gear thrust surfaces, knowing the usage (as you described it). If you get it rebuilt I wanna see 4th gear and the mainshaft bearing.

IdahoDoug wrote:
I'm not aware of instances of the entire gearbox getting instantly trashed - it's fairly benign. You just suddenly can't get 3/4 very well or at all.
The proper advice with anything broken in your trans you should stop driving it as soon as its safe to do so.
The reality is - making it home is usually higher on your list, & Mr. Gearbox is on your shitlist now.
But understand that the broken hub can mess with your endplay and burn up a shaft, wreck some valuable gears.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Sodo,

Thanks for this thorough explanation for the part failure. I guess I assumed that it was the shifting on its own that affected rate at which the stress cracks developed, and not the host of other causes. I guess I'll just keep up with my regular gearlube changes and keep an eye on the drain plug magnet. And resolve to shift with two fingers.

Thanks again!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

This is my gently shifted 3-4 hub removed at 225k miles on a perfectly functioning trans I did a pre-emptive build on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com

Last edited by DanHoug on Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

DanHoug, that’s a 1989.5 hub.
What year was the gearbox?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

1987! Original transmission

www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Ok not calling you a liar but it looks like someone snuck in and replaced the ’87 hub with a 1989.5 behind your back.
(I think)
How many miles when u got the van?

Maybe a genuine expert will chime in on this.

DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Van was one owner with about 100k miles when I bought it in 1990 from a co-worker. I KNOW it is the original trans! Post a picture of a whole pre 1989.5 slider, I am as curious as you!

www.thefixitworkshop.com
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

The square slots are early (prior to the change to rounded slots)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

gears wrote:
The square slots are early (prior to the change to rounded slots)
I thought that happened far earlier than 1989.5
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

It was my understanding that in 1989.5 they rounded the stress-risers and nitrided the hub.
I guess that’s what we need clarification on.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

All the more telling how strong these are when gone easy on, even on the “flawed” slider.

Between Dan’s and ours is about 550,000 miles before rebuilds.

Average = 275,000 each.

— Colin Chapman
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

The service manager for a local now gone VW dealership said that he saw Vanagon transmissions go 300,000-400,000 miles on commercially used MediVans that racked up miles fast transporting people to medical appointments. I imagine these were shifted gently because they were all wheel chair lift equipped but by a variety of drivers that could care less about the transmission. Dunno. Mine was cracked and ready to go at 225k.

www.thefixitworkshop.com
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

225’s still great life!

I wonder what the medical vans weighed for such a use? Way lighter than ours I imagine.

Our first van ran as heavy as 5,800 at first. That can’t help. I also think our now running a 5.43 R&P takes away much of the lugging factor.

— Colin Chapman
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
This is my gently shifted 3-4 hub removed at 225k miles on a perfectly functioning trans I did a pre-emptive build on.

Sodo wrote:
DanHoug, that’s a 1989.5 hub.
What year was the gearbox?

DanHoug wrote:
1987! Original transmission

I'm no expert by any means, but that does look like an early slider.
Looking at pictures of the parts that came out of my '90 Syncro, my slider has much rounder openings. (not a great picture, but double click to make bigger)
Here is a new one from Weddle:
https://weddleindustries.com/product-news/new-vw-094-hd-3-4-slider-hub-assembly

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

Late hubs can crack too

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LarsHepping
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
Late hubs can crack too

Oh, wow. So there you have it. All hubs will eventually crack. How many miles on this late hub and what made you pull the trans apart?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

There was perhaps a 2-year period of the updated design, but without nitriding. (I think all of those factory rejected SA Syncro transaxles had these.) Yes, all OEM hubs can eventually crack. I've seen the early ones fail in as few as 80K miles ... but obviously they don't all crack. I don't know that you can point to a particular cause for failure.

In the '80s, we machined a lot of 3rd/4th 002 hubs. The difference in hardness between one batch and another batch was quite obvious. We preferred the softer ones.

I haven't seen any aftermarket slider hubs crack yet, but I suppose it's possible.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

LarsHepping wrote:
ZsZ wrote:
Late hubs can crack too

Oh, wow. So there you have it. All hubs will eventually crack. How many miles on this late hub and what made you pull the trans apart?

I am not sure.
I think it was the used one I had put in my AAP box after I found that the original was cracked. A few years later my 5th lost all its teeth (it was an early 0.78 ratio with small teeth) so I got weddle 0.74 5th in.
The photo was taken in 2015 so the weddle went in that time and as I can see in my photo records I not had my box apart since.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle Sudden Death Syndrome. Really? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
I'm no expert by any means, but that does look like an early slider.
Looking at pictures of the parts that came out of my '90 Syncro, my slider has much rounder openings. (not a great picture, but double click to make bigger)

Oops. I’m on the road, don’t have my info, or memory as it seems.
I recall seeing hubs with a “sharp 90 degrees” too, not that 1mm radius.
But my antiquers disdain for engineering product obsolescence remains strong.

ZsZ what engine stripped your top-gear?
And what was the condition of the mainshaft bearing?
Small gear teeth don’t have much tolerance for a worn mainshaft bearing.
The distance between the shafts can be increased by heat and loose bearing bore too, further reducing the tooth engagement.

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: