Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing engine and transaxle as one unit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hedmanbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

Has anyone installed both the engine and transaxle together as a single unit? Is it easier that way. I have both out for rebuilds and was wondering. It would certainly be easier to mate the two outside of the car, but not sure how bad it will make the install to have a single unit that big and heavy.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

Depends on the vehicle, which kind are you asking about?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

hedmanbr wrote:
Has anyone installed both the engine and transaxle together as a single unit? Is it easier that way. I have both out for rebuilds and was wondering.

I've always done them separately.

hedmanbr wrote:
It would certainly be easier to mate the two outside of the car, but not sure how bad it will make the install to have a single unit that big and heavy.

"Difficulties" to mate the engine with the transmission are overblown in my experience (maybe 75 installs, 95% working alone).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

In a Bus... yes.

In a Beetle... no.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

^^^ This! ^^^
It may also work in the late type 3 with the moustache bar and the 411/412s. It won’t work in a Beetle.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

Unless it’s a vehicle with IRS suspension and no frame horns it would not make any sense.

Any swing axle vehicle definitely not.

A vehicle with IRS and frame horns that mount the transaxle you’re just making the job much more difficult, dumb idea.
94touring
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

The only "all in one" job I've done was in my bus when I needed to swap a nose cone out. Rather than pull the motor and transaxle I just slid it all back as one unit about 4 inches to swap it out. Otherwise not so sure I would want to install them as one heavy and bulky unit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
^^^ This! ^^^
It may also work in the late type 3 with the moustache bar and the 411/412s. It won’t work in a Beetle.

I can attest to the fact that it's significantly easier to do as a complete unit in a 411 or 412. This is because these cars have three point mounting for the drivetrain package (technically two point and a floating bump stop) that requires significant upwards movement only after achieving inward movement from the rear.

Yes, the type 3 is enough similar that doing it as a unit is also a little bit easier. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

That was my favorate reason for loving my 914 when I had it.

As you may know they are mid engine and the tranny was behind the engine. The T-4 engine and tranny just lower to the floor.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
^^^ This! ^^^

This was always the prefered method when running the IRS housing without frame horns. now that i have horns with irs mounts it makes more sense to remove engine only

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

I had no clue, been driving bugs for 54 years and just learned somethiing new.
Thanks guys.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

On the Beetle it really boils down to two issues. The first is that there is not really enough room to remove the two bolts in the frame horns to separate the rear mount saddle from the frame horns. Then if you leave the saddle in place and unbolt the rear transaxle mounts you cannot move the engine/transaxle assembly far enough back to drop out before it hits the rear body apron.

At least that is the way I remember it from way back then.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

I’ll share my Ghia experience but it involved removing the engine and transmission as a unit.
I had a problem where the engine would not separate from the trans. Tried every prybar I had and would not pop out. Decided to try and disassemble the engine while in the car. Managed to get the fan shroud, tins and oil cooler off but the heads were a no go. So someone suggested removing both the engine and transaxle as a unit. Worth a shot.
IRS transaxle so disconnected the CVs, cable, cradle bolts and nose cone mount.
Pulled it rearward but once loose discovered the CV flanges don’t drop out. Had to muscle the unit up with the engine side high and pull it to the rear until the flanges cleared then push everything forward for the engine to clear the rear apron.
So I will say no. Absolutely easier to install and remove separately.
Eventually found my flywheel had grabbed onto one of the transaxle mount nuts and wouldn’t let go.
Lesson learned. Don’t use nyloc nuts on your transaxle mounts.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hedmanbr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for such quick replies. The vehicle is a 65 bug so It sounds like it is not a good idea. I'll just have to install them separately.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

An IRS beetle wouldn’t be bad…swingaxle forget about it
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

On a late model Beetle with IRS, the transaxle will not drop between the framhorns. It has to be slid back till the IRS flanges clear the horns.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wins this debate! He has just been there and done that!
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

He removed it as a unit because he was fucked and had no other choice but to muscle it out as a unit, after stripping the alternator and tin off the engine.

He surely didn’t consider installing them back in the car as an assembly after struggling with the unfortunate need to remove them as a unit.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

txoval wrote:

It wouldn’t be bad at all.

It would be worse than bad. It would be a horrible choice to attempt that and would make absolutely no sense.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing engine and transaxle as one unit Reply with quote

b-man wrote:
oprn wrote:

He removed it as a unit because he was fucked and had no other choice but to muscle it out as a unit, after stripping the alternator and tin off the engine.

He surely didn’t consider installing them back in the car as an assembly after struggling with the unfortunate need to remove them as a unit.

Exactly!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: