Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

narrowed beam front suspension
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:44 am    Post subject: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

why would i want one?

does it narrow the vehicle's track?

thx
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

Your front tires rub the fenders?

Only the front. Very Happy

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

It does two things:

1) it's the ticket that puts you squarely in the "COOL" crowd.

2) allows you to run large wheel offsets and a super low ground clearance without fender rubbing.

The downside in my view above and beyond the expense of all the changes involved is that it takes a car that had questionable highway speed handling into the "not sure if it is safe anymore at speed" territory. The already poor directional stability on uneven (pounded out by transport trucks) highways, crosswind conditions and bump steer situations will be exaggerated.

I think you will find that the majority of VWs with this mod are 1/4 milers, show cars and curb queens. To each their own.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

s.e.charles wrote:
why would i want one?

As already pointed out, if lowering enough causes your tires to rub/hit your fenders, you might want to narrow the beam.
You might also want to narrow if your choice in wheels have a negative or high negative offset, then you need to pull the hub faces in to compensate. There are limits to this spacing.

s.e.charles wrote:
...does it narrow the vehicle's track?

Yes, it narrows the front axle's track.

As also alluded to, it negatively affects your cornering/handling/stability in most cases, and also, if you narrow enough, it will increase your turning radius (which is usually not good) because the tires/rims will now be closer to the beam and inner fender wells, where potential interference will occur much sooner during turning.

And lastly, and possibly of greatest importance: it may introduce your front-end to that awkward and unsightly appearance of "Winnebago" wheel wells, where your front fenders overhang the front tires by a grossly exaggerated amount. Insiders who think this looks cool and don't care about performance think this is awesome...outsiders (especially non-car enthusiasts) who just happen to look at the car are probably just generally confused as to why something looks so peculiar and "off" and wonder what's "wrong with that picture." Smile

And lastly further, if narrowed too much, some guys run without shock absorbers, which in my humble opinion, is just whack.
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

thanks for the explanation(s) & opinions; much appreciated.

sid
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

The "Winnebago look"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

s.e.charles wrote:
why would i want one?

does it narrow the vehicle's track?

thx

I think the main reason goes something like this...

The owner installs some 2 inch drop spindles, the track is widened about 3/8" per side.
The owner installs a front disc brake kit, the track is widened about 1/2" per side.
The owner installs one of the common aftermarket wheels, the track is widened about 1/2" per side.

Now the vehicle track is around 1-3/8 inch wider per side so naturally the front tires hit the fenders. The narrowed beam will pull the tires inward. Usually only a 2 inch narrower beam is required, but depending on wheel choice sometimes as much as a 4 inch narrowed beam is needed to clear the fenders. Some aftermarket wheels have a lot less offset than the 33mm of stock wheels. If the owner wants to run wider tires that adds to the outside front track width too.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: narrowed beam front suspension Reply with quote

The ultimate Winnebago action! Smile

Looks like someone put an Isetta front end on it.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: