Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan 01M --> DQ250 (or other DSG) Swap?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbeeby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject: Eurovan 01M --> DQ250 (or other DSG) Swap? Reply with quote

Hello folks,

I had my 03 Eurovan MV in the shop for some brake work this week and one of the techs said that when (not if) the 01M craps out they might be able to swap in a DSG (he mentioned the DQ250 specifically).

Has anyone else done this? I don't care if there's a stubby shifter on the floor as long as the transmission is (finally!) reliable, the engine revs lower at highway speeds, and the van doesn't judder violently between 3rd and 4th (as it does sometimes nowadays).

I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff, but I'm just trying to plan for the future and try to keep my old van on the road for a bunch more years.

Thanks,
Dan
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 01M --> DQ250 (or other DSG) Swap? Reply with quote

A manual swap is totally doable. I don't know about a DSG but I'd say no to that.

Last edited by EuroTec on Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:17 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gesoffen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 01M --> DQ250 (or other DSG) Swap? Reply with quote

Assuming your EV has the stock trans, you have the 01P transmission. This is a derivative of the 01M with some minor updates due to the weight of the EV.

If the 01P is cared for (regular ATF and differential lube services, ATF temps kept under control, etc), it is can last 150k+ miles. Unfortunately, VWs prescribed service intervals for ATF and differential lube that are arguably insufficient, likely resulting in a high failure rate. This is especially so in the case of the heavier vans (campers, Rialtas, etc.).

As far as trans options:
1) Manual conversion: Several others on the Samba have done a manual conversion for these later model EVs. This would remove the stock 01P trans and replace with an 02G 5-speed manual, specific to the unique installation configuration of the VR6 in our vans (canted forward at a significant angle). As there was not VR6 with a 5spd option in the US and the take rate on this combo in european countries was pretty small, finding an 02G and the related conversion parts (pedal assembly, shifter, etc.) is difficult. Cost varies depending on your parts source but expect $3-6k for the used 02G components plus a similar amount for labor (assuming you are not a DIY type).
2) Replacement 01P trans appear to be around the $4-6k price point, plus labor to R&R. I'd guess you'd be in for $6-8k total. Consider an external cooler and routine ATF/Differential services (every ~30k miles or sooner) and you'll have a reasonably reliable transmission for the next 20 years of the van's life.
3) DSG or similar swaps are not a feasible option due to the unique installation of the VR6 in our vans. In fact, most any other transmission will not fit due to the engine being canted so far forward. Of course, enough $$$ will make anything fit.

Regarding your shift flair, it could be a simple matter of rebuilding the valve body and the ribbon cable assembly within the transmission pan. If you are not DIY inclined, I suggest finding a reliable mechanic who specializes in VWs of this era (Eurovans in particular would be ideal) for diagnosis and repair. Compared to a replacement trans (or a swap), this is a relatively inexpensive repair.
dbeeby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan 01M --> DQ250 (or other DSG) Swap? Reply with quote

Thank you @EuroTec and @gesoffen, this is really helpful.

Probably should have led with this, but the van has 190K miles on the clock. (Original transmission).

I would MUCH prefer to have a manual transmission in this vehicle. So I'll re-read the swap threads on TheSamba and explore my options.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: