Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Won't start...hopefully simple
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Here is another video from Newgate Simms showing a multi pin connector that if one used conductive grease would just short out everything. Solution dielectric grease.

The subject was smearing grease on the connection between the starter and the transmission, so can we stick with that? Multi-pin connectors, light bulbs, etc are not the same thing at all.

The video you posted states that Newgate Simms dielectric grease "...will not insulate, nor will it conduct electricity."

This is a surprise to me, since the definition of the word "dielectric" is that it is an insulating material. I'm not going to argue with Newgate Simms about the properties of their grease, but calling it "dielectric" and then saying it isn't an insulator seems like an oxymoron. Multiple other sources say it is an insulator. In all cases it's purpose is to keep contaminants out of sensitive connections. Do you need that on the starter/transmission connection?

But back to the subject. You want a good conduction between the starter and the transmission in order to form a strong ground. What is the advantage of smearing a substance that is non-conductive on the connection between the starter and the transmission, where you want maximum conductivity? It seems a conductive grease that performs the sealing function (if you really need it) and enhances conductivity would be much more appropriate in this application.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Won't start...hopefully simple Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
Did the starter turn the engine over while the plugs were out?

Omfg, can we get an answer without needing to go down a lubed rabbit hole?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: