Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldJPLer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

I got tired of the Rangers complaining about my external yellow gray water bucket. Some approved, some didn't.
Cheap effective and internal is what works for me. No $400 external tanks. A $5 2.5 gal water jug is my style. I think it fits and looks pretty good.
The stock drain hose with a cutout in the shelf above is all you need.
I conserve water anyway and when the tank gets almost full, I slide it out and empty it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

You may or may not realize it’s possible to travel and camp while cooking typical home meals and still not generating any gray water at all.

Our worst-case kettle cleanups are done with an ounce or two of water max., that then ends up in paper towels and in the trash. We haven’t carried dish soap for years, and need a scrub pad only if we screw up.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

Nice simple solution. Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andymon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

We have this. The hose we have connects to the drain tube from the sink and then to the grey water bag.

OldJPLer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

Thanks for the cool responses.
I'll post more simple ideas that have helped me when camping over the last 50 years...
Like: Finding extra storage, cooking on my Buddy heater, adding a radiator fan override switch, simple solar charging, night sky port and insulating the ice box (aka latrine?).

Shannon Jackson
1984 Westfalia with Subaru EJ22
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

https://www.busdepot.com/255070814c
Just fyi - $180, not $400, and you don't lose any internal storage space or spillage.
Available for A/C equipped or not. (a/c hose route)
These are easy to drain/flush and really tough.

I understand a cheap option is sometimes required, but having the real thing has advantages. Just wanted to clarify the price.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

We don’t have that space in the cabinet, but to those that use an external temp solution, I’d recommend a lanyard to attach it to the front jack point when deployed. This will keep you from driving over it when you get in a hurry and forget. Speaking from experience. Laughing
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

Good old thread on DIY gray water tanks. Still happy with my hack.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412565&start=40

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Silverghost500
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

I've been using the same setup that Andiron shows in his pic. It was $6 at Walmart, and a short garden hose extender that screws on to the pipe on the Westy. Works like a charm. I can see when it needs to be emptied.

Von Westy YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhyZYxJEQrUuLnMbLleeIA
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

I have this solution. Very compact. It connects to the drain under the van. Put a note on.your steering wheel so you don’t drive off with it attached, like Mark said. It is very durable and compact.

https://www.peacevans.com/metris-accessories/external-grey-water-tank?rq=Grey%20water

Regarding, what MsTaboo said regarding the BusDepot grey water tank. That is a nice solution I wanted but I have Air Conditioning. My AC hoses under my van block where I can mount the grey water tank by Busdepot, even with the AC specific grey tank. That is due to the fact my AC hoses run under the frame at that point, instead of through the frame. It depends on what year van you have with AC. Check under your van in front of the propane tank. If your AC hoses go through the frame you can order the grey water tank for vans with AC.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Gray Water Tank Simple For Vanagon Westie Reply with quote

Westified wrote:

Regarding, what MsTaboo said regarding the BusDepot grey water tank. That is a nice solution I wanted but I have Air Conditioning. My AC hoses under my van block where I can mount the grey water tank by Busdepot, even with the AC specific grey tank. That is due to the fact my AC hoses run under the frame at that point, instead of through the frame. It depends on what year van you have with AC. Check under your van in front of the propane tank. If your AC hoses go through the frame you can order the grey water tank for vans with AC.
I just re-routed the A/C hoses to go through the frame - easy enough to do, as long as you're happy with re-charging the A/C. Using Envirosafe that only cost about $15, so no problem. ISTR that I had to drill an extra hole for one of the hoses, but a step drill bit took care of that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: