Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

question about Carburettor chocking after uphill ride
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MostafaShams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:48 am    Post subject: question about Carburettor chocking after uphill ride Reply with quote

the car used to need to start multiple times until engine runs up , also when pressing the gas pedal , it seems to be chocking a little bit then going fine

i went to a mechanic and he fixed the carb , cleaned it deeply
and every thing went perfect , starting engine from first try , no chocking at all , runs perfect ...

yesterday i took a ride on a pretty hard road , with long uphill , the residents say that this uphill road has gravity points that keeps the car from going normal Rolling Eyes may be a myth but guess it shows how hard that road is
i thought the car wouldn't go up and will stop in the middle of the road ,
i kept pressing the gas pedal hard to get a decent push , and lowering the gear , even pressing the clutch a little bit to get a gas push then releasing it

after that i on the way home found the motor keeps stopping when i press the brakes
today the motor was not getting to start as normal , actually it got worse than before , it kept stopping when first start in the morning even without brakes , just not pushing the gas pedal makes it stops.

is it from the Carburettor , or should i check other think about other cause ??
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: question about Carburettor chocking after uphill ride Reply with quote

Howdy ...

*Ensure you get a good healthy instant squirt from the accelerator pump on carburetor.
*Your choke may be too tight (closed).
*Double check point gap & rubbing block. Timing off can do funny things.
*A weak coil or failing condenser does funnier things.
*Clean ground strap on transaxle & battery/body points ?

At least rule these things out as they only cost a little time.

Years ago I hooked up the reverse lights but car would die every time I put it in reverse. Problem went away after I got ALL grounds shiny, tight, & cleaned/tightened +s in engine bay.
I thought I was going nuts.

Best to you ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: question about Carburettor chocking after uphill ride Reply with quote

You might have a fuel delivery issue to the carb, bad fuel pump (many pumps have an internal filter screen, check that), dirty inline filter if so equipped, dirty in tank filter, clogged fuel line, etc...

When climbing a steep hill, you may require maximum fuel flow rate, and with clogs, your carb might become starved of fuel in these high demand situations.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: question about Carburettor chocking after uphill ride Reply with quote

My guess is your carb in flooding. On steep slopes the float and carb inlet valve are not parallel to the ground and so don't work well. It may allow too much fuel into the fuel bowl and flood the carb.

Simple fix for a stuck inlet valve... tapping the carb inlet tower firmly with a plastic screwdriver handle. This can loosen a stuck inlet valve.

To confirm if the carb bowl is overfilling... once the engine dies, quickly run around to the engine and remove the top of the carb (5 screws). Measure the level of the fuel in the bowl from the top of the bowl. The inlet valve and float should maintain the fuel level at 3/4" (19mm) from the top of the bowl. If the level is too close to the top fuel sloshing around can flood the carb. If the level is uncontrolled, raw fuel overflowing the bowl will flow down the carb throat.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: question about Carburettor chocking after uphill ride Reply with quote

It would help if you added what year car/engine you have.
On my 36hp I had an issue with fuel starvation on long uphill grades, and it turned out to be a broken spring inside the fuel pump.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: