Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are FI beetles not preferred to purchase?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Are FI beetles not preferred to purchase? Reply with quote

This is an interesting debate. I have had a 79 convertible for nearly 30 years. Yes mine has the original FI system in it. I have to keep it stock as it is required to pass emissions here in Oregon. (Some counties don't do emissions testing)
Are there more parts and pieces compared to a carb version? Of course, but this was what VW had to do to pass tighter emissions standards of the time. As long as there are no vacuum leaks the system just runs and runs. Like I said, I've had mine a long time. I personally think (since this is a debate) that a well maintained original Vert or hardtop would be worth more to the collecting world with the FI system than one that was modified to carb. Plus there is no adjusting that is really needed when the weather gets super hot or extreme cold. Just turn the key. There is no dreaded flat spot as with some conversions, just smooth (Power Very Happy ) delivery. Can you dress up a FI system to look cool and wow the crowd at a show? No shinny dual carb or chrome bits to be seen. Just factory goodness.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents worth.
Good luck with the decision.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are FI beetles not preferred to purchase? Reply with quote

Epilog79 wrote:
This is an interesting debate. I have had a 79 convertible for nearly 30 years. Yes mine has the original FI system in it. I have to keep it stock as it is required to pass emissions here in Oregon. (Some counties don't do emissions testing)
Are there more parts and pieces compared to a carb version? Of course, but this was what VW had to do to pass tighter emissions standards of the time. As long as there are no vacuum leaks the system just runs and runs. Like I said, I've had mine a long time. I personally think (since this is a debate) that a well maintained original Vert or hardtop would be worth more to the collecting world with the FI system than one that was modified to carb. Plus there is no adjusting that is really needed when the weather gets super hot or extreme cold. Just turn the key. There is no dreaded flat spot as with some conversions, just smooth (Power Very Happy ) delivery. Can you dress up a FI system to look cool and wow the crowd at a show? No shinny dual carb or chrome bits to be seen. Just factory goodness. That is one clean engine, is the non-black alternator pulley stock?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents worth.
Good luck with the decision.
PC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Are FI beetles not preferred to purchase? Reply with quote

I haven't had issues over the 20 years of ownership. Maintenance items such as rubber fuel lines are critical to keep in great condition. My fuel tank was full of rust that kept plugging fuel filters and I replaced it. My cold start injector currently needs a rebuild or cleaning. Routine maintenance and they will last forever and run great.

Wow, that's a great looking engine compartment on Epilog79's post.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Are FI beetles not preferred to purchase? Reply with quote

A little more useless historical stuff.

By '74, meeting emissions standards was causing major headaches for Volkswagen. Retarded ignition timing threatened to burn valves, and EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) had stifled performance and gas mileage so much, that dealerships could not keep their customers' new cars in tune. VW had to switch to fuel injection for '75 (along with smaller valves) to cure the problem. It solved the issue sufficiently to help ease the car out of production.

baldessariclan wrote:
To me, the “desirability” of Beetles with FI engines is somewhat comparable to the “desirability” of Beetles w/ autostick transmissions. Both systems are less common and somewhat “novel”, as compared to the majority of other ACVW’s out there. And both systems, when working properly, can offer some advantages over the other more common “standard” fuel delivery and transmission configurations.
I had a friend who bought a '75 Beetle with both FI and an Autostick! What a cool freak it was!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
plextor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Are FI beetles not preferred to purchase? Reply with quote

I really enjoyed getting my FI system working when I purchased it. There was a bit more to clearn, but it is not very complicated at all.

The vacuum leaks are the real killer and the downside here is that if you've got an old engine that's been sitting for a long time and in random condition, you can probably get a carbed one to fire up pretty easily, but the FI one won't be quite so easy.

But let's be frank - fixing all the vacuum leaks is pretty easy if you look (and know where to). They're just hoses and there really are not that many of them.

The hardest thing in my entire project was replacing all the fuel lines, fuel pump, and gas tank since they had all rotted. I did the injectors too, since the originals were marginal even after a professional clean (those can be a bit expensive).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: