Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cable connectors, any purpose?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HjaltiVignis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Cable connectors, any purpose? Reply with quote

Hey all.

So one question, maybe a stupid one but in my mind I cant see why one would use this connector insted of having a straight wire run the whole way. Doin some wiring cleanup in the trunk and have three or four of theese and I just cant see the purpose of them, other than you dont have to replace the whole wire if something goes bad.

Can someone tell me otherwise and a reason why I whould not get rid of them?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Cable connectors, any purpose? Reply with quote

- Access to the signal for troubleshooting.
- Ease of production line assembly.
- Ease of disconnection when performing service or repairs.

If you use a factory-style double crimper, and perhaps latching female tabs on one side, they last forever, give you the above advantages, and have no signal loss.

That photo looks like "2-on-2" style where the sides are connected together inside. Other similar connectors are electrically independent but paired inside the protective plastic. Choose wisely, grasshopper.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
HjaltiVignis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Cable connectors, any purpose? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
- Access to the signal for troubleshooting.
- Ease of production line assembly.
- Ease of disconnection when performing service or repairs.

If you use a factory-style double crimper, and perhaps latching female tabs on one side, they last forever, give you the above advantages, and have no signal loss.

That photo looks like "2-on-2" style where the sides are connected together inside. Other similar connectors are electrically independent but paired inside the protective plastic. Choose wisely, grasshopper.

That was my guess exactly, they are not connected on the inside so my initial guess was right, so in my cleanup process I will solder them together and use a heatshrink tubes. To get a signal nowadays if troubleshooting is needed, we have way more tools and equipment so that will never be a problem.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable connectors, any purpose? Reply with quote

the 4 way ones , as shown, are like a wire nut. It is used to connect 4 wires together. Used in connecting all of the turn signal wires for one side together as an example.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maddel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Cable connectors, any purpose? Reply with quote

HjaltiVignis wrote:
... so in my cleanup process I will solder them together and use a heatshrink tubes ...

You may regret this if you have to remove the steering column for some reason in the future.
HjaltiVignis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable connectors, any purpose? Reply with quote

Maddel wrote:
HjaltiVignis wrote:
... so in my cleanup process I will solder them together and use a heatshrink tubes ...

You may regret this if you have to remove the steering column for some reason in the future.

Yeah, I went through all of them and decided to leave as is. In German engineering we trust.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: