Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36hp engine case - Stud removal or not
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
forhumanuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject: 36hp engine case - Stud removal or not Reply with quote

Hey! I just bought a bunch of 36hp engine stuff, got a great deal! I have a 1957 Oval that I'm working on with my son's and we have an engine for that we are working on, but I got this case sitting here in great shape, just a ton of dust on it. My question is, the case already has the studs in it. Should I take them out or leave them in and build it out? I want to put some anti seize in there but not sure, would like to hear any opinions on what you would do.

Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine case - Stud removal or not Reply with quote

Why do you want to put antiseize on the stud threads?

The studs never need to come out unless one is damaged. Removing the studs will actually damage the threads in the case a little bit so it is counterproductive to remove them.

Just leave them in place.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine case - Stud removal or not Reply with quote

Are talking about the cylinder/head studs? If so, yes I would remove them to help clean the case, measure your case centerline to cylinder deck etc.

All the other studs, leave them alone

Case needs to be measured for line bore, cam journals, and lifter bores.

Have inserts installed for your cylinder/head studs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine case - Stud removal or not Reply with quote

I always remove the heads studs. Then I can inspect t the threads and install case savers where needed, but on 36hp engines they are usually fine.
I always pull the oil galley plugs on every case, as you just cannot get the dead end corners clean otherwise.
As noted check all bores for wear, and check that the cylinder deck is flat. I just had a case where cylinder 3 was sunk a bit, and had to deck the case
forhumanuse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 36hp engine case - Stud removal or not Reply with quote

Thanks all, appreciate it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: