Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am    Post subject: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

I'm considering going to ALH TDi but I understand it needs a custom oil pan and oil pickup tube. Is there a kit for that conversion? Does someone in Europe make it?
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

http://www.foreignautosupply.com/parts-accessories/category/engine-conversion-install-kit/
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

I’m not sure if there is a 100% kit aside from FAS. This guy has some really neat parts that are useful

https://ultimate-engineering.co.uk/

There used to be a kit to install an ALH at 15 degrees. Those are no longer being made.

My personal recommendation is to go AHU or 1Z at 50 degrees. It’s a little more straight forward.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

I’m running my ALH at 50 degrees without any problems. It’s connected with a Vanagon diesel bellhousing, with a aftermarket larger input shaft and Dual Mass Flywheel. At the time I fabricated an oil pan using the ALH pan mounting surface. I’m also using the Vanagon diesel carrier bars. Custom is the engine brackets that connect the engine to the carrier bars. I’ve always been unhappy with the custom oil pan and missed the opportunity to purchase one from FAS. I’d recently purchased the stock diesel oil pan adapter from the UK company above. I have not installed it. There was a question as to the adapter with the diesel pan fitting past the AC compressor. Just haven’t had the time to investigate and the UK company at the time had no idea if it would work with AC. They said if it didn’t work, they’d help me sell it on to someone in the US.

Right now FAS seems to be the only complete setup kit. I’ve dealt with them on small items and the pictures of the kits look well thought out. I’m so happy with the ALH, that if I was doing another, I’d have no problem using an FAS kit. If welding and fabrication are not in your experience bucket, a complete kit seems like a good direction for you. Good luck. You won’t regret the power upgrade.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

Another option would be Pioneer Wagonwerks. Same company that's behind all the billet transaxle goodness that Weddle is offering.

http://www.pioneerwagenwerks.com/products.html
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

Like Mark, I did the ALH install on a 50 degree using the OE Diesel Bell Housing.
Dual Mass Flywheel using the aftermarket pilot shaft for the clutch disc.
OE Diesel mounting bars, modified the right side to accommodate the AC Compressor.
I used hydraulic mounts but later changed to the OE diesel mounts.
I used an adapter for the OE TDI starter.

My engine does sit high by about an inch or slightly more. I had a raised deck lid fabricated and then raised the surrounding area, very functional.

My first oil pan was a disaster (my fault and the welder's fault too).
The second oil pan fit perfect, looked good, but the thin aluminum metal I chose cracked away from the welds.
The third attempt was Stainless Steel ...... no leaks and it is awesome.
Total outlay for the oil pans was likely over $500

The first exhaust system was functional but not what I wanted.
The second exhaust system was made of stainless steel from Columbia Bending in Washington State. I cut everything the way I wanted it welded. I used the V clamp system as well as spring loaded donut joints so I could hang the set-up from the body ...... no vibes and works great.

So, it was a trial and error that I started in 2009. Almost 90k miles later, I have no regrets.

Oh, I did "build" a transmission first off in the order of things! This is a must in my opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dublife13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:
Another option would be Pioneer Wagonwerks. Same company that's behind all the billet transaxle goodness that Weddle is offering.

Do you or anyone have this mount? I have reached out to them and never been contacted back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

Dublife, I don't know anyone who's running this Pioneer setup but it seems well made.

All you ALH'ers running a factory diesel bell housing...I was under the impression that the bell didn't bolt up. Are you using an adapter or have I been misled this whole time?!
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

It bolts right up. The coolant lines however, do not line up like the older diesel.

There also is an adapter plate sold by ultimate engineering to clock the ALH to 15 degrees and still run a dual mass flywheel. That is the setup that I am running.
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

Damn that's great! Thanks for the confirmation Olis!
SyncroTrev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

dublife13 wrote:
uberaudi wrote:

Do you or anyone have this mount? I have reached out to them and never been contacted back.

I have one of Matt's (PWW) early ALH conversions at 15º. I believe (don't quote me) that this conversion was one of his firsts and was custom / built on the fly. I will say that it was done exceptionally well. I definitely recommend anything Matt is putting out.

I was just in German Transaxle the other day walking the shop and there are PWW trans parts everywhere. It is my understanding that they (PWW) have transitioned to 100% parts manufacturing.

I too have reached out over the years to them to get information on their conversions and it does take a few weeks for a month sometimes to hear back. But they do always get back to me.

Ken from German Transaxle phoned up Matt while I was there to get some information from him about my build. He answered right away. He is insanely knowledgeable and I really wish he was still doing conversions. Likely the best with TDI's. If you do get ahold of them and can lock in some solid customer support with them for your build, you will be in good hands.

If you have any specific questions about my conversion, feel free to post them and I'll do my best to answer. After my conversion was sold to the 2nd owner, they got a little out of hand with changes and modifying things. So I have redone almost everything myself to get it back to is original PWW glory. We leave in 23 days for a central and South America tour in our van, and I am happy to know I have a PWW ALH in the trunk!

-T
1.9 TDI ALH
Bend, OR
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

uberaudi wrote:

I received an email from them and they say they're working on the oil pan and pickup tube!
uberaudi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ALH diesel, who makes the Vanagon install kit? Reply with quote

Great news! Who's going to make the 'bolt on' silicone coolant hose set now? Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: