Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window irs on splitty
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:18 am    Post subject: Bay window irs on splitty Reply with quote

I am doing a bay window irs conversion on my 66 splitbus

Earlybay parts are necessary but really hard to find so i am using layte bay parts (modify the control arms and spring plates myself)

You can buy early bay stub axle brand new and it would be ideal if i can fit a 5x205 earlybay drum but do the earlybay stub axle fit in my late bay bearing house? I think the bearings themself are different ( gonna buy new bearings anyway) but the late bay has some sort of spacer in the housing between the bearings that i think a early one doesn't has..

Does anyone has the same setup or knows i it will fit?

Thanks in advance!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Instagram page:

yannicks_splitbus_project

Always there to help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window irs on splitty Reply with quote

I did this way back in 2009, and it’s still running strong. Hope it helps you out some. Cool

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=283411&highlight=irs
stevecul8er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window irs on splitty Reply with quote

If you go back to the “IRS Bracket” thread that you started is some useful information. Although creative-engineering.com is not selling the parts anymore-you can download the catalog and browse the their IRS conversions and parts used and get an idea what would work for you so you proceed with your conversion.
Good luck
Yannvanh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window irs on splitty Reply with quote

Yeah i bought the CE frame legs so my question whas if there i could use the 68-69 stub axle in my 70- bearing holder so i could fit the 5x205 brake drum

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Instagram page:

yannicks_splitbus_project

Always there to help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dtadpole
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window irs on splitty Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken I don't think the 68-69 drive shafts will fit the 70-80 hubs. I think you have to use the 68-69 hubs since they are longer. I had a heck of a time to find the hubs and assemblies. I ended up getting a set shipped to my house in different boxes usps lost one and I got the other. I then ended up buying 2 CE- arms from jeffgagnon here on the samba and another 68-69 hub from someone else with stub axle also.

jeffgagnon maybe able to help you with this also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevecul8er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay window irs on splitty Reply with quote

Providing your hub does not have the “C” clip to hold the outer bearing -you use the same inner bearing,spacer, new outer (211501283D) bearing and a13 mm spacer.
As for the control arms-use the 68-70 Bay (440MM long) later bays are 420mm,
The drive shafts 476MM with bus cv on one end and bug cv on other end.
Again go research the creative-engineering.com site catalog section-after all you using some of their parts.
Mismatching parts causes more headaches. I’ve been there.
Good luck.
richierich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bay window irs on splitty Reply with quote

I have this conversion in the rear of my 57 panel. I have early bay drive shafts and 71 only hubs which use 71-79 wheel bearings. Bay CV's at hub end and bug CV's at trans end.

Hope that helps a little.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: