Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hobthebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

My wife gave me the answer in three simple words:

Stubborn

Old

Men
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Typ3nut wrote:
If a person is in a rush to unload a vehicle it's usually due to the 4 - D's ...
Death, Divorce, Depression or Disease.

or the 5th D - the car is Diabolical!

also worth remembering that although the car/bus was advertised at a certain price we often don't know what it actually sold for. in other words the advertised prices are hovering above actual levels.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

2-3x or more for the peak classified fantasy prices imho.

Local sale of a split for 5k in upstate Ny. Running , needed Rust body work.

People asking 30k for same for years in classifieds
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Why is the vw market different now? Confused

seems like more of a buyers market in general to me i guess
The market is certainly softer than a couple years ago. This happens, and will go up again... at least for a while. Eventually interest falls off. Look at what a nice Model A sells for now vs 30 years ago
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: how do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
iamdonquixote wrote:
APPLEGREENVW wrote:

Why is the vw market different now? Confused

seems like more of a buyers market in general to me i guess
The market is certainly softer than a couple years ago. This happens, and will go up again... at least for a while. Eventually interest falls off. Look at what a nice Model A sells for now vs 30 years ago

A nice model A, is still expensive. Just my opinion.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

iamdonquixote wrote:
finster wrote:
what feedback are you getting to the ad? nothing at all? people low balling or wanting the distance allowed for?
it's not a great time to sell and maybe we've had peak vw prices (except for uber rare) but only you know where your threshold is for making a sale.

i don't have an ad up, just look at the ads a lot and there are some on for multiple months.

Some folks, just like to show off, what they have.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

My last experience it took a while to sell my 75 bay window high roof “tub bus” it was a solid bus, engine was strong, all mechanicals were in good shape. I bought featured ad space here on Samba to help promote selling it. There were a bunch of folks asking questions about it, a few came to look, but at the end of the day the one question I kept getting was “where do you get the work done on it…?” My reply every time, “you’re looking at him…”

And these days, millennials, some gen x’ers aren’t working on cars and are afraid to turn the wrench. Then they find a shop that will actually work on it, and they find out it’s $200hr to work on a bus. I think a lot of would-be buyers are afraid of break down's and fixing issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

the other day a short video appeared on my farcebook page showing a 'vintage car' and 'possibly the oldest car on the road' Rolling Eyes it was a late production mini from about 1990 and it did look very small surrounded by suvs. they were amazed that it was 'started with a key!' and had an 'antique lever e-break!' (sic)

the young folk I was working with had no idea how their bicycles worked and I was always chiding them about maintenance. so yes, basically a diminishing pool of enthusiasts or people with spare money for an increasingly expensive novelty.

iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

When a car doesn't sell quickly, it is most likely priced too low.
Potential buyers are afraid that there is something terribly wrong with it.
Raise the price every couple of weeks.
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

When I scroll through TheSamba Classifieds I'm typically looking at under $5k. That's my budget. I'm willing to put sweat equity into a $5k car, maybe end up with a $10k car.

There are some nice $20k VWs out there. I'm not buying a $20k VW. Wouldn't want to scratch it.

Facebook Marketplace has its ups and downs. I can put in my hard limit of what I want to pay. I don't have to look at cars that are out of my reach.

It's not like I need another Bug. I have half a dozen of them already. I'm lookin' to upgrade my stock.

It's like John Muir said half a century ago. Sit in the Bug and meditate. If it's the right one you'll know it.

If the owner is in a yank to sell it quick above market price... that disturbs my meditation. If the owner says,

"No tire kickers."

or

"Don't waste my time!"

You can be sure I won't waste their time.

See... buying a vintage vehicle is a process. It's on the buyer to do their due diligence. Rush it... you're likely to skip a step or two in your due diligence.

For example:

I bought a Toyota truck the other day. Toyota trucks are hotter than split window busses or VW Things. The stars need to align to get a good one at a good price. I was the first caller on one last week. It was gone twenty minutes later when I showed up with cash.

I was thrilled when "my" truck was actually there. It had four wheels. It ran. It was dirt cheap. The seller even had a paper tag for it so we could transport it under Officer Friendly's watchful gaze. Surely there were Toyota enthusiasts on their way from Central America. So we shook hands. I did the deal.

You know where this is going...

Ruh, roh. Little battery is lit up on the dash. We have a check engine light. Stop at a stop light in town, the idle is surging.

I got it to my Secret Laboratory. It conked out. It wouldn't re- start.

Now the good news although some people might not see it that way. Pop the hood. Schlep the battery into MSL and put it on the charger. Clear snow for a few days. Don't even look at the truck.

and...

The alternator is frozen solid. There is no serpentine belt. But... truck starts fine on a fully charged battery. No check engine light.

Moral of the story is low buck vehicles build character.

Next funny ha- ha but I think it's relevant:

Check prices of ounces of silver on FB Marketplace. Last time I checked silver was around $25 an ounce but there is a little more to it. Take your silver to a pawn shop, you may get as little as $15 per ounce. If you have silver rounds you bought in '85 or '86 at $5 per once, you're doin' great at $25 per ounce. Except some sellers want $30- $50 for '85- '86 "nothing special" rounds. By my impromptu survey every bullion seller on FB Marketplace is asking more than fair market value for their silver, sometimes 2x or 3x fair market value.

There is no honor in gettin' swindled and pimped, gettin' tricked by business.

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

My least favorite lines in ads...

"Not in a hurry (or rush) to sell" Rolling Eyes

"Just testing the waters" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If I think of more, I'll update Smile
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

This is like the customer who walks through your door exclaiming,

"I'm not too picky." Not until the job is done, anyway. Then it's,

"You adjusted my brakes now my headlights don't work so I want you to paint my car."

Busstom wrote:
My least favorite lines in ads...

"Not in a hurry (or rush) to sell" Rolling Eyes

Not in a rush to sell so not in a rush to communicate, not in a rush to to show the car, not in any hurry to tell me where the car is or make an appointment so I can see it.

This is the same guy who cancels after it took me a week (a month, a year) to set up and appointment to see the car. Then I get a call after dinner on a school night. Seller tells me I need to get over to his place, I need to drive a couple hours right now and bring cash. Otherwise the car won't be there tomorrow.

That's especially heartwarming when I haven't seen the car and we haven't established a price.

Busstom wrote:
"Just testing the waters" Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

If I think of more, I'll update Smile

Uh- huh. If the seller isn't serious about selling how can I be serious about buying? I see sellers all the time who say,

"Don't waste my time."

Don't waste my time.

I'm gonna dump out my big tank of Oscars and raise me some piranhas. "Testing the waters", are you?! Twisted Evil

Oh, yeah. "Best offer." Rolling Eyes Turns out the 2024 version of "best offer" is best offer over asking price. Rolling Eyes

OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

There is an ad on the Samba right now (under "Other Vehicles") that has been up for several years. The price went down $500 at one point. I can't see having an ad open that long either....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
I'm gonna dump out my big tank of Oscars and raise me some piranhas. "Testing the waters", are you?! Twisted Evil

Yeah, I'd really like to reply to each one of those and say "Well, then stick your toe in there and see how FRICKING COLD it is!"
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
There is an ad on the Samba right now (under "Other Vehicles") that has been up for several years. The price went down $500 at one point. I can't see having an ad open that long either....

This might be the record right here, on the market for 12 years with ~72,000 views, no sale.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1251483
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Don' forget Rodbuster
Even though it's been renewed recently it's been up for sale on the classifieds for years.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2629625

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
This might be the record right here, on the market for 12 years with ~72,000 views, no sale.

"constancely (sic) adding more parts!!!"

after 12 years it must be groaning under the weight Shocked

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

I'm guessing* he's one of those people that is constantly changing the price and is generally hard to deal with and turns off buyers.

*guessing = I know the price has been changed multiple times
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

kingkarmann wrote:
Don' forget Rodbuster
Even though it's been renewed recently it's been up for sale on the classifieds for years.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2629625

This one makes sense. Even without the price, you need a very special buyer.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: How do people deal with having a car for sale for a long time? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Busstom wrote:
OB Bus wrote:

I'm guessing* he's one of those people that is constantly changing the price and is generally hard to deal with and turns off buyers.

*guessing = I know the price has been changed multiple times

I would not pay that kind of money for a car that needed a number of "mistakes" corrected to be legally registered here and be properly street-able. Too much invested in bling for my taste too. I would also question the condition of the engine having been run without air cleaners.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: