Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Major restoration, what order for body repairs...?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prawnabie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:53 am    Post subject: Major restoration, what order for body repairs...? Reply with quote

Hi all,

The 67 I have acquired needs major repair work, basically the bottom 6" of the car is rotten. I have the body braced and have am sorting the frame head/naps hat/tunnel first so I can at least get the body back on temporarily.

Once I have the body back on, I will be tackling the following..

Floors
Heater channels
front inner wing lowers
lower a posts (door bottoms will need doing at some point too)
front and rear cross members

What order would you recommend I do this it? I have a sort of idea but the heater channels and floors are a bit chicken and egg at the moment (I have no floors in there to measure).

Can anyone offer any guidance?

Thanks
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Major restoration, what order for body repairs...? Reply with quote

Brace the body first, then do the floor pans so you have a foundation to put the no post back on. Then do the body stuff: heater channels, etc
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Major restoration, what order for body repairs...? Reply with quote

Start from the inside out - check the control cable and fuel tubes that run inside the chassis. Be sure the heater channel and floor fasteners all line up.

Don't throw anything away until the new parts are known to fit. That old rusty stuff still has geometric value.

Don't forget the 5 drain hole grommet/valves after you've painted the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Major restoration, what order for body repairs...? Reply with quote

floors and heater channels first, and together so you are sure the bolt holes align. Then do your a pillars, and inner wheel wells, then rear crossmember
Every step of the way double check your door alignment, as every repair you face can change it
Prawnabie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Major restoration, what order for body repairs...? Reply with quote

Thanks, I guess one of the first jobs is to sort the hinge pins out then!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: