Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamkaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

Hey all,
Out driving around yesterday and I noticed a few things going on.

* 2 Days ago I noticed the clutch engagement point started to feel a bit low. Similar to the time that the clutch slave cylinder failed.
* Pedal pressure did not feel any different.
* Today I jumped it and it grinded on it's way into reverse. That's new.
* Then it took a lot of arm pressure to get it into first. No grinding. Just felt like the it was hard to select the next gear. Could feel the notches to engage the gears.
* Power is great. No slipping.
* 2 and up is perfect.
* I noticed that as I drove it more and more it was harder to get it into 1st. Easier when it's colder.

Gallery Pictures:

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1ZG0ehgLGQ129L;1567C4B6-1FC7-48A3-AA96-9F649ECBBE9D

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1ZG0ehgLGQ129L;DB5B34B5-C9AC-42A7-BF5D-65C9CC4D486F

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1ZG0ehgLGQ129L;9E3CE65A-5B78-497E-8431-E3ED771B28C3

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B1ZG0ehgLGQ129L;DDD9DE9A-7247-4875-B855-64611B30F7CB
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

Have you checked the shift plate at the tunnel? Bolts loose? I would start with readjusting it and see what happens. Also wouldn't hurt to check on the shift coupler under the rear seat and the shift rod bushing in the tunnel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

Clutch is dragging, if it goes into gear easy with the engine off you clutch is dragging. Reverse has no synchro so it grinds, first does have a synchro.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

I think you answered your own question here, although actually you didn't ask a question.
kamkaz wrote:

* 2 Days ago I noticed the clutch engagement point started to feel a bit low. Similar to the time that the clutch slave cylinder failed.
kamkaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

Update: I was able to make the reverse grinding go away by doing a 1/8 turn on the wing nut that is on on clutch slave. The engagement point is still low.

The clutch slave is only a 500 miles old and there is no leaks from it or the master.

I'm starting to think it's air in the line.
kamkaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

MuzzcoVW wrote:
Have you checked the shift plate at the tunnel? Bolts loose? I would start with readjusting it and see what happens. Also wouldn't hurt to check on the shift coupler under the rear seat and the shift rod bushing in the tunnel.

I'm using a cable shifter. Pictures are linked.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

kamkaz wrote:
MuzzcoVW wrote:

I'm using a cable shifter. Pictures are linked.
Sorry, pics not working on this end
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamkaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

Sorry, here it is:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Reverse grinding and 1st difficult to engage Reply with quote

Oh we get it - your new ride? You have a name Kammy?

Looks like the ride just got off the showroom. Laughing

He has 5 posts - you guys. Why not welcome him to the forum properly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: