Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's a decent reproduced item
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Warren G.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:59 pm    Post subject: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

I was an active VW guy from 1977 to 1997 when I took apart my 64 Convertible for painting. The 3 time by the way. I was a wholesale distributor I did so many with West Coast metric.
Maybe it's memory is better than reality of the old days. But I've gotten parts from JbugsJB , WCM and WW . Names abbreviated as a little niceness is left on the ol bones. Now it's buy a part first, unwrap it and then pay a 15 to 20 ,% restocking fee IF they take it back. From gaskes that have the holes in the wrong places to poorly cast rear view mirror bases is there any parts that are accurate?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

Depends what you're looking for.

Most stuff is made in China and sold by all the large catalog/online vendors.

There are many small specialty companies, but they are usually making drivetrain parts. Things like rubber seals, interior parts and that stuff is hit and miss.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

There is no real one stop shop, and the hardest lesson to learn is that a good used or restored part will always be better than new.
Most of my rubbers came from Wolfsburg West, but anything that I could restore/rechrome, I did.
Like many, I’ve found most vendors say “German made” almost as if it is a brand but those parts almost always lack quality and fit like crap.
I was never really thrilled with JBugs, and it seems like WCM’s catalog has gotten smaller over the years. I pretty much use Wolfsburg West as my go to, but always check the classifieds here for mechanical or hardware type items before buying new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

Warren G. wrote:
...is there any parts that are accurate?

The reproduction bumpers sold by Wolfsburg West are an example of the aftermarket stepping up to offer a first-rate product. Fit & finish are spot on and their price suggests that people are willing to pay up for this level of quality.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

Flat four generator/altenator pulleys are probably even better than og vw. It's the only repro part I've used I can say that about.
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:

Most of my rubbers came from Wolfsburg West, but anything that I could restore/rechrome, I did.

I agree for the most part. But I've had some real problems getting parts rechromed here in the US. I once sent a 356 hood handle out to be rechromed and they ruined it. The new repro looked MUCH better.
Finding a good plater is such a crapshoot that I have a guy who handles my plating work for me now. He's kind of like a broker, he finds good shops and sends parts to them as long as they keep doing a good job. The first shop he sent my Saphire radio plate to wanted $400. That particular part wasn't a good fit for their operation, so he sent it to one of his other vendors who did a fantastic job for $250.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It would have cost less but I forgot to tell them not to polish the recessed area around the knobs because I was going to paint it black.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Warren G.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The WW bumper comment is helpful. In 1997 the body shop despite my request to not remove the windows did so. After loosing the window guides the re fit stopped. I went to Pomona swap meet for a couple of years looking for the parts. Then a few years later...Al Gore invented the Internet* and the Samba came to the rescue, but by then it was garage art and shelving.

A stamped VW rear bumper blade could use a re chrome but that's another problem. My big concern is the 2020 death of customer service and the BS of pay first shipping back and forth and a lousy restocking fee.

Possibly when they say German made it was by those boys from Brazil Wink

* Attempt at humor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

Warren G. wrote:
What's a decent reproduced item

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:

The reproduction bumpers sold by Wolfsburg West are an example of the aftermarket stepping up to offer a first-rate product. Fit & finish are spot on and their price suggests that people are willing to pay up for this level of quality.

They’re great! I wound up using a set on my 64 because my chrome guy couldn’t fit the originals in his tanks. I’m not at all disappointed. WW did a great job with these, they fit perfectly and look so much better than cheaper bumpers with worse fit, hazy “triple chrome”, and the silly black grommets.
You get what you pay for! Money well spent!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What's a decent reproduced item Reply with quote

X2 on the WW bumpers. Excellent!
The concern about the quality of reproduction parts is not unique to VW restorers. My experience with Model T/Model A restoration parts is very similar to the concerns expressed here. A restored original part is usually if not almost always superior to a reproduction part. Obviously some parts are not restorable.
New parts often seem to need modifying/massaging to be useful. Better than not having anything I suppose.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: