Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

surging, backfiring
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 am    Post subject: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

so friend has a 78 bus with single 2 barrel weber, electric fuel pump and a combination fuel filter/regulator with glass bowl. Bus was running perfect until filled up and then started missing/surging. I looked at it and the fuel filter was clogged. Changed the filter and it ran great for about 30 minutes and then same thing occurred. Went back and found water in the gas in filter. Drained out all the gas, put in fresh gas, now problem remains, barely running. Has me stumped? pulled the weber filter and it is clean. Bad pressure regulator, pump tested and it is fine. thanks for any help here.
2015 New Beetle Convertible
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

try adding a bottle or two of heet. that cured my water-in-the-gas problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

& the fuel filter? If it is paper/fiber element, the water that ran in swells the fibers. Choking off flow, maybe forever. New element when a load of water is in the tank. : (
Gezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

filter was replaced and all the old gas purged from the tank, thanks.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

Gravity feed the carburetor from an external fuel tank and see what happens
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

I did plan on eliminating the filter/regulator, checking the pressure output on the pump (which I know works as I used it to empty the tank) and if the pressure is below 3, hook it temporarily to the carb directly. Gravity feed may be easier and quick diagnostic. thanks for the advice
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

That carburetor is known to be sensitive to very fine dust. I would take the carb apart and blow out every orifice. It worked for me. Are you familiar with cleaning carburetors? I probably have some info saved if you need. I like to have a spare gasket on hand or just replace the gasket when I pull a carb. It doesn’t take long to pull off, disassemble, clean, and reinstall,,,,,the second time you do it Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Gezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

Yes, have rebuild thousands of carbs, it was also on my mind that something could have reached the carb. The regulator filter was really badly fouled with crud. Not sure how good the little brass mesh filter is inside the carb. thanks
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

Maybe worth taking the carburettor off and emptying fuel and water out of it. Especially the power valve well under the fitting in the bottom of the float chamber, and pump the accelerator repeatedly to clear the accelerator pump..

We always used to have trouble buying gas for outboard motors from a local marina because it rained regularly into the storage tank feeding the pump at the fuel pontoon. Water got everywhere and messed up the fuel injection system.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gezz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: surging, backfiring Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the filter/regulator after I replaced the internal filter element.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: