Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

List vs Sales price?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanamax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

Wondering if anyone has a good enough sense of the market to know approx how much vans actually sell for vs their list price. Might be helpful when evaluating vans. A lot of Ads I dismiss outright because they're above my budget, but perhaps later they sell for well within my budget.

Kinda wondering if there is a rough rule of thumb that vans on average sell for 20% less than the list price or something like that?....

I mean obviously some people are listing crazy high, and occasionally someone lists too low...

Perhaps a better way to phrase it is, about how much below list is too low of a lowball?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

Every case, every seller, and every buyer are different.

In our two cases, we offered close to 20% under Ask and bought them both at those prices.

Cash in hand, and an immediate, no-hassle sale are pretty enticing to a seller — and Yes, it’s normal to ask more than you know you’re likely to get.

Most sellers like to like the buyer, too, people in our genre seem to genuinely care who buys their beloved vans.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

https://bringatrailer.com/auctions/results/?search=Vanagon

See if this link works for you. These are actual auction results at BAT. In other words, what something is worth that day if it meets reserve or not.

My sense is the pricing on the Samba is high. I'm also a bottom feeder. Some pricing is the I don't want to sell it price.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

See if this link works for you. These are actual auction results at BAT. In other words, what something is worth that day if it meets reserve or not.

My sense is the pricing on the Samba is high. I'm also a bottom feeder. Some pricing is the I don't want to sell it price.

The “My wife is making me sell it.” Price is another I see.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

I’d sell the wife if so, but thankfully she nor I would never, *ever* demand such a thing like “Do this or that, I insist.”

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mateo83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I’d sell the wife if so, but thankfully she nor I would never, *ever* demand such a thing like “Do this or that, I insist.”

Which is more valuable at this point?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

Point was we don’t make such demands on each other, and that’s worked amazingly — and especially to our friends who chose the wrong partner — for almost 46 years.

Answering your question is irrelevant to that, but regardless of that never happening, obviously I wouldn’t choose a blasted van. Laughing

I wish all others to have such an awesome partner.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

"I got a racecar for my wife." "Pretty good trade."
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

BOOM!!! Laughing

Haha, Yes, in our case she’s the one who insisted she got one for her husband.

— Colin Chapman
Jake59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

This is about the best data one could wish for or expect.

That said, because we have done so many mods to our vans with some that are personal needs, while others are true universal upgrades. finding the true value is a hard point to nail down

Past Rides: 62 (23 window) Bus, 64 Ghai convertable, 68 single cab, 72 Super Bettle, 78 Bay window Bus, 84 GTI.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

Don't forget the Selling due to divorce scenarios;

1: lawyers pony up, and say: okay, sell it and split it in half -- since it is in the jilted one's name, the price they sell it for is 1$

2: same as above, but its in the name of the one who would never want to sell, price is $99,000

There are more, but you get the picture.

I was happy to let my former wife take the 2003 EV Westy, while I kept the house and kids. She sold it for pennies on the dollar as fast as she could. Now I have a Vanagon for each kid, and two for me and my new bride Smile ----NONE FOR SALE---
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

I told her “ it’s your sister !”

I see stuff sell at 1/2 of bay t3 prices and 1/3-1/4 of split prices in private sales off samba 6-8 times per year.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: List vs Sales price? Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: