Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Rear Drum issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Hello,

Have to replace my rear driver’s side large nut brake drum. Original VW drum got scared because I didn’t check and change my rear brake pads soon enough. Measuring the drums they clearly have been turned before and will be out of spec if they are turned again.

I ordered a rear drum from a popular VW parts dealer. First impressions were the drum looked to be of high quality. Label indicated the drums were from a Danish / German company (same company that makes the exhaust sets) but there was also EMPI and Brazil on the label. So I really don’t know where they are from.

The issue is the drum doesn’t slide on the axle. The original drum is easily installed and removed but this new drum only goes on about an inch or two. I used a wire brush and solvent to clean all parts. I’ve applied a thin coat of anti-seize to both drum and axle splines. I even used a rubber mallet and could only get it about 1/4 on. At that point I needed a puller to get it back off.

The parts company is sending a replacement, so that’s good, but is this normal with new drums? I have replaced a rear drum before but don’t remember it being this hard to install. Am I missing something?

-Rich
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Here are some photos of the drum in question:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

-Rich
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:

The parts company is sending a replacement, so that’s good, but is this normal with new drums? I have replaced a rear drum before but don’t remember it being this hard to install. Am I missing something?

Can not say that it is normal, but has happened before. Knew one fellow that ended up having a spare axle machined for a cutting edge and then chrome plated to harden it. He used the spare stub axle as a broach with a hydraulic press.
Culito

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

I have had to file the spline "landings" (grooves) in new drums.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

That seems like a lot of work for a new drum. But I guess we got to do whatever it takes since they don’t make them like they used to. I take it you are filling the groves slightly wider, thus making the splines narrower? Long square file?

-Rich
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
I take it you are filling the groves slightly wider, thus making the splines narrower? Long square file?

That would depend on how the broach was worn down or resharpened badly. Best way to figure it out is to use the eye with a magnifying glass each time you try to fit on the drum. Using something like machinist blue die or even a magic marker can make this easier by being rubbed off showing where the axle is tight.
You need to be careful not to make the fit too loose or the drum splines will fail all too soon.
Chuey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Culito wrote:

Long square file?

-Rich

Probably a mill bastard file would work for the grooves. A square file would be cumbersome if it worked at all. That is because it would be pretty small to fit into the grooves.

Chuey
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

I’ll wait for the replacement to show up. Hopefully it will fit better.

Problem is I’m dead in the water until I get a drum to fit. It’s a particular bummer given the good weather and a holiday today. 😎
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Sometimes even with older used drums too much anti seize or grease can make for a tight fit of a drum on the splines. Sometimes you just have to rotate the drum before trying to fit it to try a different set of splines to match up. Once you find the spot that works the best you can match mark the drum snout and axle end with a paint marker before you fit the nut and cotter pin.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Here are some photos of the drum in question:

Is the drum on the right marked "tight" your original drum you are replacing? If so what is the diameter now?
berpsta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Looks like a lotta meat left on the old hubs for them to be machined and not that badly pitted or worn
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

berpsta wrote:
Looks like a lotta meat left on the old hubs for them to be machined and not that badly pitted or worn

Even in new drums the "meat" is a very thin area.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

New spec for rear brake drums is 9.055 with plus or minus .008".

Wear limit is 9.113".

So that means only 0.058" difference. That is less than 1/16" of an inch, and keep in mind that is in a circle of the drum. So when being lathed if the cutter is moved 0.031" (AKA 1/32") even on a new drum that cuts out all of the usable "meat of the drum and is therefore worn out.

Personally waiting for the new laser tech of today to come down in price that is being used for very expensive parts like WW2 aircraft engines to add on new material to bring them back in spec. Got a small pile of original VW drums to get that done on.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

it is somewhat normal to file the drum. sucks but a lot of new parts need modifications. Or buy NOS
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

I would just sand the gloss of the old drum with 80 grit.
Culito

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
robin.richard wrote:
I take it you are filling the groves slightly wider, thus making the splines narrower? Long square file?

That would depend on how the broach was worn down or resharpened badly. Best way to figure it out is to use the eye with a magnifying glass each time you try to fit on the drum. Using something like machinist blue die or even a magic marker can make this easier by being rubbed off showing where the axle is tight.
You need to be careful not to make the fit too loose or the drum splines will fail all too soon.

Deeper, not wider, if I remember right.
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ojai63dbl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

<edited> I ran into this problem last year and seems to be a problem since at least 2018

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=696974&highlight=new+drum+tight

I had the same issue on my new >64 drums with two different brands (Italian and Danish (?)) from two separate reputable dealer. Wolfsburg confirmed this is an issue and recommended filing.

I ended up having to file the drum spline on drum with Prussian Blue dye to make the fit (Just remember to mark drum as this will be specific to axle spline).

Unfortunately even after working on it a few days for both sides, while it was close I still had to encourage (press or rubber mallet) the drum onto axle and use a puller to remove the drum from axle.

Couldn't use the originals as I stepped up from a 63 1-Ton to a 64 tranny for the better reduction box gearing
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Finally got the replacement brake drum. It was a replacement from the same manufacturer and it fit like a glove. I’m glad I waited a few extra days and didn’t decide to file the drum splines on the first new drum that clearly didn’t fit.

Here is a photo of the manufacturer shipping case for the replacement drums:

Here is a photo of the OG VW drum. I wish I could save it but I think it’s too far gone. I have someone that will turn it for free so I’ll probably give it a shot. Current measurements are 9 13/16” across and average 10.95mm thickness around the inside edge. Hard to get the thickness measurements with the inside ridge getting in the way. What do you think, is there enough meat to have this drum turned?

-Rich
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:

Here is a photo of the OG VW drum. I wish I could save it but I think it’s too far gone. I have someone that will turn it for free so I’ll probably give it a shot. Current measurements are 9 13/16” across and average 10.95mm thickness around the inside edge. Hard to get the thickness measurements with the inside ridge getting in the way. What do you think, is there enough meat to have this drum turned?

Hard to tell without 3D photos. If your friend is willing to cut it AND not strive for perfect finish, then give it a try.
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: New Rear Drum issues Reply with quote

Eric&Barb,

Doesn’t hurt to try. Otherwise it would just end up in the recycling bin anyway.

I wondered if I cleaned it up with some sandpaper would it work? If I had nothing else and was in a pinch.

Both my front drums are VW and now both my rear are aftermarket. Need to find some rear VW drums locally.

-Rich
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: