Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:02 am    Post subject: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

My ride is a 65 bug with 1385 40-hp motor, which runs like a peach with an old German 28-PICT carb and not great with a new EMPI 30-PICT carb. I prefer to run the old carb, but last fall it quite suddenly quit idling ... meaning one stop sign it was great, next stop sign NO IDLE. It still started, accelerated, and drove like always. After returning home I also noticed a sizeable fuel leak that covered the left side of the carb.

So, I finished out 2023 with the EMPI carb and rebuilt the Solex over winter. I thought I saw a crack in the body near a casting seam in front, which I covered up with JB Weld as an experiment. Everything else looked great, including the jets, which flowed great with carburetor cleaner shooting through.

This spring I ran the crappy EMPI once or twice before putting on the SOLEX. At first, the SOLEX seemed its old self, including no fuel leaking, but now it no longer idles and is starting to drip a bit of fuel. After reading through the posts, I couldn't find anything that was similar to this sudden failure mode. I DID find a post about opening up the vacuum ports on the EMPI, which I might try ... but I'd much rather continue to run the old German carb. Any ideas on what is ailing it?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Check that the shut off float has not gotten fuel in it.
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Disassembled over lunch and submerged the float in a bucket of water: no bubbles. Float seems to be OK.

And the little 28 PICT looks great! I don't have any idea what's ailing it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

pdb27 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

Disassembled over lunch and submerged the float in a bucket of water: no bubbles. Float seems to be OK.

You might still have a heavy float. Had same with our 1963 single cab. Checked everything else and finally replaced the float with another OG used float, and that fixed it.

Have you pulled out the float shut off valve? Have heard of folks that found debris having gotten into that valve. Also do beware that a lot of reports of aftermarket of those valves have turned out to be junk. Personally have never had an OG used float valve fail in over 400,000 miles.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Check the needle valve.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

pdb27 wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

You got to test the float in hot water, do it on the stove, just below boiling water. The reason is if the float has a leak, the gas inside will expand as it is heated by the hot water, that expanding gas will then bubble out the leak. if cool water is used, they will be no gas expansion, in fact the gas may even contract and suck water in, and hence you will see no bubbles. So get that water just below boiling. if it is boiling it may give a false positive bubble as boiling can cause bubbles to form on wetted surfaces.
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

X2 on the float valve. I rebuilt my 28 PICT and had all sorts of trouble traced back to the repro float valve. I cleaned out my old valve and all was well.

You can also check the angle of contact to the float. If it gets bent it may not engage in at the right time.

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

zerotofifty wrote:
You got to test the float in hot water, do it on the stove, just below boiling water

Another lunchtime project today. Used tea kettle at 200F setting and poured into a clear Pyrex bowl. Tested both the 28 PICT float and one from an old 30 PICT in the garage, and zero bubbles from either float. On the plus side I should have two good floats at my disposal; I'll put the 30 PICT one in and see if it behaves differently.

The needle valves are clean and rattle easily, but I also have plenty of old needle valves saved in a baggy, including one OG valve from an early rebuild, so I'll choose a good one and swap it out. How would a stuck valve prevent idling? Just floods it out at stops? Shouldn't it puff white smoke on restart?

Anything else I should try before swapping the float and needle valve and trying it again? Thanks for the inputs so far.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

White exhaust smoke is water vapor on colder days condensing. Burn fuel with oxygen = water in the exhaust. Hydrocarbons are made up of carbon and hydrogen which in essence you tear apart by burning. Which is why it is best to run the engine for long enough time to heat the muffler up to dry out the inside of it to keep it from rusting out from the inside much sooner. EG if we have a bunch of errands to do, we drive to closest one and work out to the farthest stop, then back home to get longest run before shut down.

White tinged with blue is oil burning.

Black is too much fuel.

Choke on with too much fuel might explain cold startup problem, but not persistent with hot and cold engine conditions since choke should be off when the engine is hot. Still would not hurt to check choke function....

It would help to know where on the left side of the carb is the leak coming out.

Could be you just have a leak at the top gasket of the carb left side and a clogged up idle passage.
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Update: Pulled apart carb, cleaned thoroughly with carb spray, soaked the parts in carb cleaner, cleaned with spray again, put in new rebuild kit. Put in OG fuel shutoff valve that worked freely, swapped in another OG float that passed the boiling water test. Bolted on, ran up and down the road ... and still leaking.

The leak was first noticeable near the main jet, which checked out OK for tightness. It's actually dripping underneath the carb body near the jet and running downhill to the brass hex.

After a few minutes I can see fuel dripping from where the throttle cable is attached, and not long after that I can see it dripping from the other side of that shaft. Top of the carb is bone dry, so the fuel shutoff valve seems to be doing its thing.

At least it idles a touch better now, and it still runs up and down the road great; it puts the EMPI carb to shame. Any new thoughts?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Crack in the carb body?

How are the main jet plug to body sealing surfaces, scratched or corroded? Needs to be smooth, flat to seal with the gasket.

Maybe the main jet plug itself has a pin hole, switch to see if it still leaks.
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Time to put a cherry on top of this one: it has to be a crack in the body. I rebuilt the carb again, cleaned it in the carb soaker again, tested for leaks past the main jet, and reinstalled with fresh intake manifold gaskets. Still wouldn't idle, had a new flat spot at low RPMs, died 3 times, and leaked fuel from everywhere. With the air cleaner off I could hear bubbling inside the carb, even though everything was cool to the touch.

A developing internal crack is the only scenario that seems to match all the symptoms: sudden failure to idle, worsening leaks, trouble at low RPMS, and getting starved of fuel at low speeds.

Thanks to all commenters.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

FYI the rear mounting stud in that carb should have its upper end just above the flange of the carb body. I know it is probably a moot point if that carb has a crack, but for future if that stud is not all the way thru the carb threads it has a much greater chance of having the female threads pull out due to that much less threads being engaged by the stud.
pdb27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
rear mounting stud ... should have its upper end just above the flange of the carb body.

My gut was also pointing me towards the rear mounting stud, but not for the reason mentioned. Last summer I added a phenolic spacer and made my own longer studs for the mounting. For the front stud I welded a bunch of tacks to stop the threads from running all the way through, but for the back stud I just left the threads and ran it all the way to touch the carb body. I bet I put too much pressure on a thin passage of the carb body and introduced a crack that first opened up an idle circuit, then grew over the last 9 months to cause the daisy chain of failure modes I've been fighting.

That light bulb went off yesterday when I was putting the crappy-idling EMPI back on the motor. Probably my fault all along. These are my most durable lessons-learned: goof up, fight with the consequences more than I would prefer, figure out what happened, and boom - even my old brain will remember it. Thanks "Eric&Barb" for the help; your comment on a cracked body is what finally got me pointed in the right direction.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: 28-PICT suddenly won't idle and leaks fuel Reply with quote

Funny how that happens!

Hopefully you can pickup a good used original carb at a VW swap meet near you soon.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: