Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wrong plugs installed on single port 1600 1966
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject: wrong plugs installed on single port 1600 1966 Reply with quote

I have done everything I could think of with regards to overheating.

Carb jetting, correct vacuum distributor, rebuild correct carb 30 pict 1, correct tin pieces, tune up. But during the tune up I put the wrong Plugs Ngk B6hs.
The correct ones should be Ngk b5hs which are hotter. If I understand correctly the b5hs are hotter generating less engine heat. Is that correct
The joy of saving money, buying a cheap part, is soon outweighed by regret, when the next catastrophic failure occurs. At that time the best parts have a certain luster that gleams regardless of price.
Current 1966 Beetle restored, passed vehicles Porsche 356 Super 90, Porsche 1987 Carrera 3.2 CAB, 1957 Oval top, 1952 Porsche 356. 1964 Beetle
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: wrong plugs installed on single port 1600 1966 Reply with quote

The hoter plug is not about a hotter running engine, rather a hot plug retains its heat more than a colder plug. a cold plug rejects the heat from its tip easier, and thus runs cooler. To hot a plug can lead to preignition, and may damage the plug. To cold a plug wont stay as clean, i.e. foul easy.

https://www.denso.com/global/en/products-and-servi...heatrange/
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: wrong plugs installed on single port 1600 1966 Reply with quote

What RPM are you using for cruising??

Have you measured your cooling fan inside width out at the outer edge? Could be you have a 40 HP fan and need the wider 1500/1600 fan.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: wrong plugs installed on single port 1600 1966 Reply with quote

How do you know you are overheating?
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: wrong plugs installed on single port 1600 1966 Reply with quote

oldtech wrote:
I have done everything I could think of with regards to overheating.

What's the highest oil temp you've seen and how'd you measure it?
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: wrong plugs installed on single port 1600 1966 Reply with quote

Check the engine compartment tar board (sound deadening) for a bulge right in front of the fan shroud intake.

I recently had to replace an engine due over heating. With the engine out. I found that the tar board restricted the cooling air to the fan shroud.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: