Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is this Super Beetle?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brioche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

My friend at work has a beetle she wants to sell me. It's in her brothers yard, and he passed away, so they are trying to move his stuff. So I asked for pics, and one of them was this..... This is clearly a Homemade Hebmuller conversion, right? Or did they somehow do a few Super Beetles?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

That is super cool! Shocked Surprised

At first glance, it looks like someone took the front hood and quarter sections and spliced them into the rear clip. I'm sure it was much more difficult than that. It will be a lot of work to get that road worthy once more, but there will be nothing else like it on the road!
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

That is wild!!! I would love to see the details behind that.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

It looks like someone tried to recreate a Hebmuller (look that up) on a Super Beetle platform. Has potential to be damn cool. It's essentially a 2 seat convertible coupe. Type 14, if memory serves.

H2OSB
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

More photos wold be great.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

It definitely qualifies for the abortions thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10223714#10223714

Looks to be further along than many projects, could be almost tolerable when finished.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
SLO-N-LO-69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

Wow that's crazy looking! Id love to see some more pics.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

I wanted to hate it. But the quality of the bodywork I see makes we think again. It could work!
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
DUNGBTL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

brioche wrote:
My friend at work has a beetle she wants to sell me. It's in her brothers yard, and he passed away, so they are trying to move his stuff. So I asked for pics, and one of them was this..... This is clearly a Homemade Hebmuller conversion, right? Or did they somehow do a few Super Beetles?

I like it! Bodywork appears to be well done.

I’d buy it and turn it into a 1303 Speedster…

It’s cool.

J.
brioche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

Ha! Yeah - I was surprised at how well the bodywork looked. It's been sitting for quite a while, so who knows what's going on with it. It looks like the front hood (as opposed to the rear hood!) is pushed in a bit. She's going to send me more pics. It's too big of a project for me, and I'm exhausted from just finishing my '70, so I may end up posting it in the classifieds for her.

It's a cool looking piece, so it would be great to go to someone who would want to fix it up.

Here's more pics, and I'll post more when she sends me some.

Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

Big rear bumper with shock absorber element and plastic end caps, seat headrest style, steering wheel style point to a '74. If the seller provides the VIN, its 3rd digit would be a "4". If built on a '75 Super Beetle convertible, the 3rd digit would be a "5".

Beyond the interesting rear bodywork, fitting curved door glass with a rounded aluminum frame was another significant effort.
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It definitely qualifies for the abortions thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10223714#10223714

Looks to be further along than many projects, could be almost tolerable when finished.
This... well said
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

DUNGBTL wrote:
brioche wrote:

I like it! Bodywork appears to be well done.

I’d buy it and turn it into a 1303 Speedster…

It’s cool.

J.

I agree with this. That would make a Super cool speedster (no pun intended)

H2OSB
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

looks like a very well-executed hackjob, I'd love to see it finished.
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What is this Super Beetle? Reply with quote

Needs Ian Russo to turn it into a speedster, would be a cool build

Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: