Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hard-sided Storage Containers for Roof Rack
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
poptopbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:32 am    Post subject: Hard-sided Storage Containers for Roof Rack Reply with quote

I'm looking for some type of plastic bin or container(s) to sit inside the "roof well" infront of the pop top. I have read where some use dry storage bags; I'm looking for compact, rigid boxes. Any ideas?
Thanks
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your local Lowe's or Home Depot. Some of those plastic storage boxes have watertight seals in them, and can be had for less than $30 or $40...They're great for the roof of the bus, basement, or wherever you need watertight storage. Also, depending on the size, old military surplus ammo boxes are watertight as well...they have some pretty big sizes for pretty cheap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthmuffin
Samba Worm Farmer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get away using some Rubbermaid actionpackers. They don't have a seal, but the way the lip and the lid work, they are pretty good. I use them for my motorcyle gear.
poptopbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Storage Containers for Roof Rack Reply with quote

We don't have a Lowe's in our area but I'll check Home Depot and Building Box.
Thanks!
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cris, where did you get those boxes, that's beautiful!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a previous post

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=232341
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine and I designed them a few years ago and made a few. The idea is to be able to:

A) Load and unload them without too much effort (that is the reason why there are three of them).

B) Be able to access the contents with ease without taking the boxes out of the rack. They open forward, so it is very easy to access the contents from the pop top opening.

C) Be compatible with the Westfalia roof rack. They match the grooves, size, and support bracket locations. The slope in the front of the boxes is the same as the one in the Westy roof rack.

D) Be completely waterproof.

We did a few with integrated color in the material (such as the ones shown in the photos), to match VW colors, so they never get scratches or spots where paint is damaged or missing.

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
A friend of mine and I designed them a few years ago and made a few. The idea is to be able to:

B) Be able to access the contents with ease without taking the boxes out of the rack. They open forward, so it is very easy to access the contents from the pop top opening.

Cris

V cool!

1988 West, 50º ABA

Vanagon VAG GAS engine swap Google Group:
https://tinyurl.com/2f24rmh

VE7TBN
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you want something completely watertight and very durable...checkout Pelican Boxes...they come in all sizes.

http://www.pelican.com/
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:

A) Load and unload them without too much effort (that is the reason why there are three of them).

C) Be compatible with the Westfalia roof rack. They match the grooves, size, and support bracket locations. The slope in the front of the boxes is the same as the one in the Westy roof rack.

D) Be completely waterproof.

We did a few with integrated color in the material (such as the ones shown in the photos), to match VW colors, so they never get scratches or spots where paint is damaged or missing.

Cris

How were they manufactured? Do you still have the molds? What material...etc?
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

action packers by rubbermaid. they come in three sizes are lockable and can be locked to the roof using a cable. They rock and are waterproof. you can also stand on them if needed and they make great seats. I found some at Walmart. The only place in my area that sells them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its funny, i actually bought a spare luggage rack from a westy from cris a few years back with the intention on making molds and containers like he had already made, wish i had just asked him in the first place! i hunted for a long time for the right waterproof thing for my westy and was never able to find something that satisfied me which is why i had visions of making my own (which never happened). maybe different style comtainers are out there now, but all that i found were either the wrong size and stuck up too much (like rubbermaid-type stuff)or were the right size but didn't hold much (gun cases, etc). i even tried a waterproof duffel bag which was nearly impossible for me to get on top of the van with any weight in it. what cris made is just PERFECT and if someone (or cris or his buddy) was so inclined i think many people would be interested.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

foodeater wrote:

Yes, we still have the molds; they are in Argentina. They boxes are made of fiberglass. All the sets ever produced (not many) were distributed among the few Westy enthusiasts in Argentina. I brought two sets to the USA, sold one and kept the other one for myself. Do you think that there is enough interest to produce and bring another batch of these? It could take a few months...

Cris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
its funny, i actually bought a spare luggage rack from a westy from cris a few years back with the intention on making molds and containers like he had already made, wish i had just asked him in the first place!

what cris made is just PERFECT and if someone (or cris or his buddy) was so inclined i think many people would be interested.

So you are the owner of the only other set in the US? I am glad you liked them. There are a few finishing details that I would improve upon, if we were to make some more, but overall they have worked for me too.

Cris
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
foodeater wrote:

Yes, we still have the molds; they are in Argentina. They boxes are made of fiberglass. All the sets ever produced (not many) were distributed among the few Westy enthusiasts in Argentina. I brought two sets to the USA, sold one and kept the other one for myself. Do you think that there is enough interest to produce and bring another batch of these? It could take a few months...

Cris
I'd be interested.....what's the cost for 3?

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucko wrote:
cris torlasco wrote:
foodeater wrote:

Cris
I'd be interested.....what's the cost for 3?

Wouldn't vacuum forming be a more efficient way of making them? Just looking at the shape, they would vacuum form really well, it is way faster and cleaner than fiber glass and cheaper to make.

I am just wondering what the hinges look like?
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: storage Reply with quote

Vacuum formed or hand laid with FG - there would still be plenty of interest in the boxes. A lot would depend on price, I suggest that you come up with a b"ballpark" price and then sample here to see the interest level. I think that jackbombay found that his "better idea" gas shocks found a ready audience and market - your boxes would probably do the same.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that the Westfalia logo is actually a relief within the mold, so it has a depth. It is not just a sticker that would erode after the first trip...
I have no idea about what costs would be, but I will certainly find out and report back, since there seems to be enough interest in this item.

Cris
rumitcu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This hard sided, waterproof box from GoWesty seems to be exactly what you are looking for:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3984&category_id=325&category_parent_id=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: