Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Bumper mount?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoshSnow1973
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Front Bumper mount? Reply with quote

Hi All...I'm new here, recently bought a '73 that I am now eyeballs deep in.

it came with no front bumper, and upon inspection has definitely taken a hard hit on the nose... So whoever did the "bodywork" ( ie. apply 3 gallons of bondo) deleted any type of mounting brackets.

I'd like to install one as I bring this back to life, but have no idea where to start.

thanks for any pointers.
Cheers!
Josh
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper mount? Reply with quote

Much like the rear bumper, the front bumper is bolted to the body rather than the chassis. There's a reinforcement plate with captive nuts behind the plate. The plate is simply welded on the bottom side of the trunk well. The plates may have been omitted when and if the well was replaced.

I looked through the photo gallery and couldn't find much in the way of pictures except this one. The addition item on top of the bumper mount in this photo is a pushbar

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

P/N for the plates are 181805627 but you'll probably need to get them off a donor car or make them yourself. Once you get your bumper, you can bolt the bumper ends to the fenders to get an general idea on where to weld in new plates.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper mount? Reply with quote

I had posted this a while back and have used it to over 8000 miles with no problems at all. Have it on my 73 and 74.
GB
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627050&highlight=towing+from+the+front+bumper
oldcarsguitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper mount? Reply with quote

Quick question. Who can tell me the bolt size I need to attach the front and back bumpers? I am selling a disassembled Thing to a guy out of state and trying to cut down on his shipping costs by reattaching as much to the car as possible including the bumpers but can't find the bolts. Thanks in advance!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper mount? Reply with quote

m10 x 1.5 x (about) 20mm long
oldcarsguitars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Front Bumper mount? Reply with quote

Germansupplyscott,

Thanks and it worked perfectly!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: