Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hey 52 Split, I took the switch apart because it was intermittent, and then after cleaning it took me 2 hours to get it back together, those spring contacts were a real challenge. Finally back together works perfectly. I cut the handle shorter to be less conspicuous and also match my finger length and then epoxied on the bullet casing, I think it looks ok.

Happy New Year and thanks again Boris. Hope you got more done on the split.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414940
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Happy New Year all. Been busy working on home projects but took some time on a different project. I mounted the wiper motor on the windshield frame and found an early original wiper arm and wiper. To be set up at a later date.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, more work on right hand dashboard and frame. Got it all welded in, welded to the front support tube and to the left hand side of the dashboard piece. Primed it all while I was there. Started fitting the windshield in place as well, more to come on that one. Finishing the right hand side support structure will be next.

Stay tuned.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Great progress.

56' Oval
71' Westy
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, so more progress today. I got the windshield frame with wiper motor mounted to the body, and the two supports for the frame also installed and working.

I decided to wait to finish the right hand support until I fit the fuel tank, as I may need the space to work in there. So fuel tank fitting coming up. Wish me
Luck.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, a last little bit of progress on the Schwimmwagen before I head back to work for a couple of weeks. Getting close to the point of fitting and installing the fuel tank in the car, but I have two to choose from. While inspecting which tank to use I came across a hitchhiker which I’m not sure if it qualifies the car as a “rat rod” guess more of a mouse rod!

Anyway I decided to modify and install the forward machine gun mount and the side mirror mount arms. An original Schwimmwagen only had driver side but I elected to have both sides to make driving in easier.

Still have a bit of finishing on the MG mount but will have to wait for next time.

Take care,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, next update for you. I finished up the work on the forward MG mount and made a decision on which tank to use in the car. The second tank provided two uses, first was as a fake tank full point on the drivers side which I cut and installed. Second was to aid in making the tank mount for the one I was going to install.

I cut the unused tank under the mount lip to allow me more easy access while making the mounts.

As you can see installing the tank was not easy but it’s now in.

Next up is repairing the upper deck hopefully for the last time, that I needed to do to get the tank in place, tight fit. Still need to finish the upper deck next time home.

I got the tank all plumbed in and started work on the fuel selector as well, next time for that as well. But I did get the tool kit installed under the dash on the passenger side.

Until next time stay tuned.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
VWGlassee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Cool updates! I'm a silent reader of your project and I always open the Split-Window/1938-53 VWs section to see if there is any news in this topic Very Happy

Good luck with the build!

Yannick
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Thank you VWGlassee, I am glad you are enjoying the build with me. Lots lore to come stay tuned.

Take care,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Just circling back around to see the project updates. You have been busy! Love this thread! Keep up the great engineering, it is an
amazing reading!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hey VW_Jimbo thanks for the comment, glad you’re enjoying the build.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Awesome keep it up! Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Thank you Two Glove Boxes, will do.

Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Good day folks. Latest update, I manufactured, welded in and primed the right hand steel frame in the front.

I also welded and bonded a support under the forward machine gun mount as I viewed in pictures that it carried on down to the wheel well.

I needed to move a tire around in the shop so I set it up by where it will attach on the rear so I could get a shot, looks pretty cool.

Next up was to manufacture install and prime the steel foot well plate across in front of the pedals.

Now that the front end is getting done, I am moving on to prepare the gearbox for installation. Mounted it on my engine stand so I can work on it.

More on that next time.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
cyberdyne systems 101
Sambanator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

As always top work and coming along nicely.

56' Oval
71' Westy
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Thank you cyberdyne systems 101.

More updates soon.

Cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
54bugn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A Schwimmwagen named "ilsa" Reply with quote

Hello all, another update on the Schwimmwagen build. So I realized while away at work last time that the original car had straps under the gas tank so I added them just for the look, as well I found a gentleman in the Netherlands who was 3D printing exact copies of the kdf shifter knobs so I ordered two and installed one so far.

I was getting the gearbox ready to install with new seals, boots etc and with help from Dave, Peter and Bob we got it lifted in and all hooked up.

With the gearbox all installed and connected it was time to get it on all fours or close anyway.

I took a measurement at full down extension of the axles before I mounted them on the stands. Then with the help of a bunch of extra weight and a friend I added over 350 lbs to the back end and measured the axle travel. At the point where they go through the body there is only about 2” of travel even when Peter bounced on the gearbox lol.

Thanks for the help Peter. So I found these boots that are flexible and have around 5” of opening and am working on seeing if I can make them work to seal the rear end.

You will have to stand by as I work through the design to seal the back end of the car.

Till next time cheers,
Mike

54 European Sedan deluxe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: