Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nikyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:53 pm    Post subject: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

First off, shout-out to The Samba. I am a complete newb to this whole process, but between some books and this forum, I have managed to figure things out thus far. I've gotten her stripped and pulled apart. Separated the body from the pan last weekend. Now I plan to start with the chassis upgrades/restoration. And here comes my first question. If I have done my research correctly, this 70 Fasty appears to have a modified front beam already. Will post photos below. Can anyone give me some feedback on this? Thanks in advance. Will likely be asking more questions if any Type 3 experts want to follow along and help a newbie out. Thanks again!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

Well first off Welcome to the group. Now just so you know, you've got a type 3 beam on it, which means you can raise or lower it by doing a search of the forum. Keep in mind that the links to any pics are probably dead, as they were taken years ago. The front is adjustable just like the rear is, but the rear is more work. Removing the thru bolts at the ball joints on the spindles is the tricky part, as you can wipe out the threads on them very easily. Myself, I prefer to remove the big nuts (30mm) on the ball joints to remove the spring pressure of the torsion bars.
Keep in mind that your car originally came with FI (Fuel Injection) but has been swapped to ICT's (or Chinese copies of them). They're not bad for what they are, but most are jetted a little rich.
It looks like your car is mostly complete, which is a good thing. Keep in mind that rusty sheet
metal is a problem, and about the only new metal is floor pans from Gerson (Classic Fab). Yes there are several people that are selling them too. ISP offers sections for those not replacing an entire pan half. They also offer window seals and all sorts of bits and pieces for type 3s.
I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
nikyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

Thanks Bobnotch! Excited to be here. Ok, thank you for the clarification for this newb.
Yes it was! Not much missing. And pretty solid - hardly any rust, and what is there seems to be surface. On the pan, one small pinhole under the battery. Structurally sound overall.

I am hoping to do a pretty complete restoration/renovation. I would love to put an Airkweld complete front beam assembly on it, but as we know they are not currently in production for T3s. I reached out, they suggested I get on a waitlist in case they run a limited production in the future.

I would like to run the 17" BRMs. Looking at Autowerk's Type 1 Conversion

It does! Thank you!
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

I am not a tire/wheel expert. There are some wizards here. But, keep in mind two things and you will avoid more issues. Type 3 wheels and wheel wells and the associated clearance are not the same in any way to Type 1. Do searches on this topic and you will discover there have been those who have gone down this path previously.
Don't just think it should fit. The wheel offset is a trap many first timers get caught.
Best of luck, you look like you have a pretty solid starting point for your Slantback. Others are not so lucky.
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
I am not a tire/wheel expert. There are some wizards here. But, keep in mind two things and you will avoid more issues. Type 3 wheels and wheel wells and the associated clearance are not the same in any way to Type 1. Do searches on this topic and you will discover there have been those who have gone down this path previously.
Don't just think it should fit. The wheel offset is a trap many first timers get caught.
Best of luck, you look like you have a pretty solid starting point for your Slantback. Others are not so lucky.

I agree 1000%. And IF you decide to lower it, things get even more complicated. The big keys are to watch the offset of the rim, and watch the rim-tire width. A lot of this really comes into play when you go low. I say that as clearances tighten up, and the room you thought you had disappears quickly. Most of us stay with either a 2 spline static drop, or even go with a 3 spline drop, but run low profile tires for clearance. Keep in mind that the stock type 3 rim has an ET of 46. Most aftermarket Honda rims have an ET of 38 to 40. So that should give you an idea of what you're looking at.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
nikyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

My preferred set-up would be:

- Lowered (low, but not so low as to cause significant problems. I do prefer the wheels at least beginning to tuck look-wise).
- 17”x7" BRM wheels with 5x205 lug pattern and from what I read that means 5 5/8” backspacing and 40ET
- 215/40/17 on the back, and either the same or 205/50/17 up front.

I'm in conversation with Sam at Autowerks right now to get the front beam situation figured out.

But I'm currently struggling to figure out the rear. From what I am reading, I can simply swap the stock drums for 5x205s

But will this simple conversion allow for the set-up I'm looking to run? Or do I need to edit the rear axle in some additional way to allow for clearance? And if so - suggestions on best route?? Thank you all in advance
akokarski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

another wheel option is to go with wheels of a 914 like mahles or gas burners. my set bolted right up and has right clearance, mind you I am not lowered.

back tires are way too wide though and can go a side down.
nikyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

akokarski wrote:
another wheel option is to go with wheels of a 914 like mahles or gas burners.

Even if I went with a 4x130 hub pattern like these guys I'm posting below, I would still be looking to run a 17x7" wheel. So I'm more interested in figuring out what I need to do to make that fit under my rear fenders. Whether I need to narrow the rear if that's even possible with IRS, or if I should look at having a body shop roll/flare the rear fenders if need be

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

Since you're wanting to run 17's, I'd suggest you contact Mark (W1K1 on here), as he's running wide 5 pattern 17's on his red 65 Squareback. He's taken the time to figure out the back spacing and rim widths and tire sizes to run them, as his car is his daily driver, so it has to clear things like man hole covers, rail road tracks, and things like that.
My self I'm down 2 inner splines with a static drop, and it sometimes gets interesting crossing RR tracks and the abrupt edges of some bridges around here. Keep in mind where I live the "pot hole" is the state bird, and they'll swallow a small car. We get patches on patches in some places, so I'm not interested in going super low, as it'll try to rip the front beam out of the car (I've hit hard enough to get a chunk of RR tie caught in the beam before).
I hope this helps.
P.S. you might want to search the forum on lowering, as some have run into the problem where the beam clamps have gotten bent, and others have relocated the clamp ends to gain more ground clearance. Just a heads up.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
nikyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Since you're wanting to run 17's, I'd suggest you contact Mark (W1K1 on here), as he's running wide 5 pattern 17's on his red 65 Squareback.

Just messaged him - thank you for this resource!

Bobnotch wrote:
P.S. you might want to search the forum on lowering, as some have run into the problem where the beam clamps have gotten bent, and others have relocated the clamp ends to gain more ground clearance. Just a heads up.

Will start searching into that now, appreciate all the advice thus far Bobnotch.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

nikyoung wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
Since you're wanting to run 17's, I'd suggest you contact Mark (W1K1 on here), as he's running wide 5 pattern 17's on his red 65 Squareback.

Just messaged him - thank you for this resource!

Bobnotch wrote:

Will start searching into that now, appreciate all the advice thus far Bobnotch.

No problem. A lot of stuff has been happening on these cars over the last 30 years. I lowered my 70 Fastback back in the early-mid 90's, and dropped my 65 Notch before I finished building it. My son's Roadster got dropped right from the get go, and now has an IRS rear end set up in it, along with a 1.7L type 4 engine out of a 914 Porsche. I know he's not the only that's running a type 4 engine in their type 3.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

nikyoung wrote:
Will likely be asking more questions if any Type 3 experts want to follow along and help a newbie out. Thanks again!

You are so lucky to have a solid Fastback with minimal rust. It's a twin to my '70- Deep Sea Green. This photo is from ~ 20 years ago by j.pickens. It has suffered terribly from rust in the meantime. I still have it, but not having any welding skills in contrast to Bobnotch, it's literally a stalled project. Wheels are 5.5" Brazilian style "deep dish" sold by JC Whitney, painted in a late '60's Beetle color scheme. Tires were 185/65. Car was not lowered.
nikyoung
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

Been MIA for a couple weeks, but still making progress one baby step at a time. Trying to fit in a couple hours of body work each week.

Wheels arrived - I went with these bad boys:

I had anticipated needing a narrowed beam to fit these and to lower her, but marchi (Flamer) is running these exact wheels without a narrowed beam. Anyone have any feedback as to why people are running narrowed beams to fit 17s if it isn't necessary? Is it only to go slammed? Or are they chasing the narrowed look? Or am I just lucky with my offset that I don't need to narrow my beam to fit them?
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Fastback Newbie Restoration Help Reply with quote

nikyoung wrote:
Been MIA for a couple weeks, but still making progress one baby step at a time. Trying to fit in a couple hours of body work each week.

Wheels arrived - I went with these bad boys:

I had anticipated needing a narrowed beam to fit these and to lower her, but marchi (Flamer) is running these exact wheels without a narrowed beam. Anyone have any feedback as to why people are running narrowed beams to fit 17s if it isn't necessary? Is it only to go slammed? Or are they chasing the narrowed look? Or am I just lucky with my offset that I don't need to narrow my beam to fit them?

Those will look good on it. As for why some are going to a narrowed beam, maybe they have the wrong offset of the rims they're using, or maybe they're running bags, as nobody has worked out how to bag a type 3 beam. Keep in mind that some on here are running narrowed trailing arms to get some tuck back, and others are using welded dropped spindles to get even lower. If you look around this forum, you'll see that somebody has done something already on these cars.
The biggest issue is tire clearance, as there's only so much room. But then I've found that true on both Honda's and Toyota's as well. There's usually something that pops up that nobody thinks about.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: