Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mallee Notch
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mallee Notch Reply with quote

Nice job on the seats!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mallee Notch Reply with quote

I really like that floor mat. You did a good job making something work there.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mallee Notch Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Im happy with how its coming together

Just to set the record straight. Tearing down this engine was basically just a DEEP maintenance service and by no means a rebuild....

after inspecting everything and looking out our current funds etc it was decided to stick with the theme of just an inspection, clean and reassemble as it was a running engine with good oil pressure prior to tear down.

I pulled a few engines down we had as spares to see if we had any other top end items to offer but in all honesty what came off this engine was in better nick then the stuff i pulled off the spare engines we had. So a thorough degrease and service it was. Because the Cylinders where glazed, I bought a small hone to cross hatch the cylinder walls again.

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After

lapped the Barrels in the Heads to help with any combustion leaks

Did a real quick fluff and buff on the intakes and abit of blending on the exhaust ports just for shits and giggles, no match porting or anything silly but just abit of a play to try make things flow easier.... maybe

lapped the valves in the heads, all valves checked out nice in the guides. all the spare heads i had and inspected were loosey goosey on the stems so although these heads had some minor cracks i decided to keep running them because of the condition of the guides and their tolerances on the valve stems.

Note the 2 on the right have been lapped, but the two on the left haven't in both pictures

the back of one of the exhaust ports had a crack all the way through but facing away from the valve seat. after some research i found they normally get welded on the back of this area to reinforce this but i filled with high temp jb weld just to stop any exhaust leaks if there were any. i figured it was an exhaust port anyway and not a combustions chamber so what the hell...

then more cleaning before reassembly, put some new EPDM foam around the oil cooler and even re-stretched the original vw stamped push rod tubes to reuse. The top compression rings were out of spec but #2 comp ring and oil ring checked out ok so back in they all went.

Prior to assembly I checked deck height and head cc. turns out to be a 7.7 to 1 comp ratio engine

also notice one of the fans we had was compeltely brazed so decided to use this as have heard they can work themself loose on the rivets over time?

I bolted some of the early 6v stuff from the original 1500 engine back onto this 1600 include the 6v 109 tooth 200mm clutch flywheel to match the 6v starter. Early 6v genny fan housing and bolt on style inspection cover. also got some new

First time this car has had an engine in it during the 12 years we have owned it. and probably a very long time prior to that considering that's probably why it was parked on the farm due to throwing a rod.

than my brother "dibba" helped with the wiring and we ran 6v through the system again for the first time in a very long time! the mice had messed with a few things but he got it sorted!

Managed to rebuild the 32/34 pdsits from kits i bought years ago and got her fired up last night. bled the brakes and might even take it for its first drive this weekend *dm*

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mallee Notch Reply with quote

It's coming along nicely, and you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Granted it's dim 6 volt light. Laughing That's a great accomplishment after all this time. Cool Time for a cold beer, and relax. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Cool
Whatever you do, don't throw away the old carb parts you removed, until you know the new ones are working correctly. That's one of the problems I've found with some of the carb rebuild kits (needle and seat parts). Just a heads up on that.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
NUG637
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mallee Notch Reply with quote

thanks bobnotch, i actually reused the needle and seats as they were functioning fine. Swapped out the 12v idle jets with just solid jets in size 50 and only run new pump gaskets and paper gaskets with a good clean out of the carbs.

nothing has gone in the bin, kept all as spares just in case. have done that on the entire build as you just don't know with this aftermarket stuff.

After chasing a few little 6v electrical gremlins we got her out on the road for its first test drive last weekend. The Tyres are 15+ years old so didnt wanna get her moving to quick but a little spirt around the block and everything seems to be doing as it should, brakes feel great and we had smiles all round with my wife (Shana) driving and the kids riding shot gun. A Few little tweaks with the suspension and timing to go. Dropped the rims off to get new tyres today. Have ordered a 175/80 rear and 135 fronts.

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Mallee Notch Reply with quote

Looks killer.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mallee Notch Reply with quote

NUG637 wrote:
thanks bobnotch, i actually reused the needle and seats as they were functioning fine. Swapped out the 12v idle jets with just solid jets in size 50 and only run new pump gaskets and paper gaskets with a good clean out of the carbs.

nothing has gone in the bin, kept all as spares just in case. have done that on the entire build as you just don't know with this aftermarket stuff.

After chasing a few little 6v electrical gremlins we got her out on the road for its first test drive last weekend. The Tyres are 15+ years old so didnt wanna get her moving to quick but a little spirt around the block and everything seems to be doing as it should, brakes feel great and we had smiles all round with my wife (Shana) driving and the kids riding shot gun. A Few little tweaks with the suspension and timing to go. Dropped the rims off to get new tyres today. Have ordered a 175/80 rear and 135 fronts.

Looks good dropped like that. I think I would have gone with a wider tire for better handling and stopping, as the 135's can easily get over whelmed by the brakes. That's the thing, these cars were under tired width wise. I've found that out on several road trips, with both my Notch and my T-34. On my Notch I run a 195-60-15 front (basically the same size as the 135's) and a 205-65-15 in the rear (to keep the gearing close to stock). I know some on here run a 185-65-15 on all 4 corners too. Just something to keep in mind.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: