Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Bob.

Once this thing is up and running, I'll be sure to get some proper wheel studs installed.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

This photo would be great for the thread "Cats and VWs"- it's been almost a full year since its last post- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Scotty D wrote:
The new Quality Control Manager is on the job.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Razz Yeah, those shop "inspectors" are everywhere. I've got one that checks on me whenever I'm out in the shop. I personally thought that was a great pic though. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

give that cat a wrench
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
This photo would be great for the thread "Cats and VWs"- it's been almost a full year since its last post- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

Scotty D wrote:
The new Quality Control Manager is on the job.

And done. Wink
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Some questions for the experts.

My oil breather is the version with two caps on top, and no outlets/inlets for vacuum lines.

In the photo below of a '71, I see that the oil breather does have an inlet for the vacuum line running to the air intake (marked 2 in the pic).

Assuming my oil breather is correct for a '73, what should the bung on the air cleaner intake be connected to?

The vacuum line marked 1 in the pic exists on my car, the hose marked 3 in the pic which heads to what I assume is a cleaner box exists as well.

Also, the hose marked 4 in the pic doesn't exist, not sure what the bung on the exhaust elbow is supposed to be connected to.

Sorry for the ignorance, and thanks in advance for your help.

Finally received my Bentley manual. I figure I'll read through it once or twice, and be at Tram's level in no time!!! Razz

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

This diagram is for later cars. See #8 and #9 for the evap canister hoses you are missing. Ignore the rest.

Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks for that Phil, that's very helpful.

My air intake does have the bung/inlet near the flap just before the oil bath (#2 in my earlier pic), what should I do with that? Just cap it off?
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

How important is the charcoal canister for the system? Is there a typical bypass for this, assuming it's in poor shape internally after 50 years.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Are there ANY hoses connected to your 2-cap breather box? If not, you will blow oil out the crank seals or pop off those caps. Look on the underside, too.

Otherwise, I'd get a 1-cap breather (with innards - spring, foam, washer) and plumb per the pic.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Are there ANY hoses connected to your 2-cap breather box? If not, you will blow oil out the crank seals or pop off those caps. Look on the underside, too.

Otherwise, I'd get a 1-cap breather (with innards - spring, foam, washer) and plumb per the pic.

Yes, the lower hose shown in red is connected to the bottom of the oil breather and up to the IAD as shown in the diagram.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Scotty D wrote:
How important is the charcoal canister for the system? Is there a typical bypass for this, assuming it's in poor shape internally after 50 years.

Pretty much inoperative at this point. The thin metal tube from the front (expansion box) is probably internally rusted shut and doing nothing.

The canister in the engine area is to store fumes in the charcoal inside. Those thicker (1/2") hoses blow air through it to pick up those fumes, and suck them into the air cleaner to be burned.

But if the little tube (small hose) is clogged, you aren't getting any fumes to begin with.

Your tank is essentially non-vented if that small hose/pipe is clogged. It goes form the tank in the driver's inner fender, along the driver rocker panel, and up above the tranny, with rubber hoses at each end. You might try blowing through to see if it gets ANY flow. Don't smoke around it regardless! Shocked
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Scotty D wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Yes, the lower hose shown in red is connected to the bottom of the oil breather and up to the IAD as shown in the diagram.

Ok, then it's correct, as long as there are NO leaks. I'd replace the hose to be sure. I'm not sure what is inside the 2-cap breather box. I'd search here (and in the Type 4 forums for a similar breather, I think) to be sure. This is important, as that is under manifold vacuum and will confuse the FI if it leaks, as well as screw with your PCV function.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Scotty D wrote:
KTPhil wrote:

Ok, then it's correct, as long as there are NO leaks. I'd replace the hose to be sure. I'm not sure what is inside the 2-cap breather box. I'd search here (and in the Type 4 forums for a similar breather, I think) to be sure. This is important, as that is under manifold vacuum and will confuse the FI if it leaks, as well as screw with your PCV function.

The hose to the breather connection is the PCV valve (the white plastic piece on the breather). Ray has a great work around for it that helps keep the FI stable. Otherwise the opening and closing of the valve screws with the idle.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Awesome! Where would I find said workaround?

I will likely be contacting Jim Adley again for the gas tank vent kit.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Scotty D wrote:
Awesome! Where would I find said workaround?

I will likely be contacting Jim Adley again for the gas tank vent kit.

Ray Greenwood is the author.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I’ll do some research.

Decided to go get some inspiration (as well as parts and a shirt) from the folks at ISP West again. Man that Notch body is just so sweet.

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Yeah, I wish my own sunroof Notch was that clean. Cool That's a great looking t-shirt. Very Happy
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Scotty D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Bob I read through your entire post. That nutria brown notch is amazing, you guys did an amazing job.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another Pickle Post - 1973 Squareback Reply with quote

Thanks. Hard to believe that was over 10 years ago (2007) that I did that car. It was a lot of work (the rustiest car I ever did), and was a true labor of love.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: