Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1952
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Windows are in! i did not have any luck with the piano wire method. kept ripping rubber. 4 unsuccessful attempts later and on my second set of rubber i decided to change it up. i wedged them in with a little pry bar. worked great.

i broke one of the back windows. i was hitting it with a rubber mallet. im still not sure what i thought was going to happen. anyway i got a replacement from sgmalt46 super fast. thanks Steve for saving the day!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Very nice updates! The car looks ready for a road trip! Where are you going on the first voyage?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Very nice updates! The car looks ready for a road trip! Where are you going on the first voyage?

Ha! i havent thought about that yet. i guess the first one will be some sort of super cautious trip up and down the driveway. followed by a terrifying lap around the block. after that....i dont know yet. i plan to drive it till the wheels fall off and then put the wheels pack on and drive it some more.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Excellent work Jim. Sucks about the back glass, but you got it done. I tried a number of things for the glass over the years and did eventually settle on thin weedwhacker cord.
The first few trips are always nerve wracking, I always have a tote with a full assortment of tools on the passenger floor, to fix the little things that pop up. The first big smile and wave you get from a stranger as you drive by is the most rewarding.
SD
western auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

best method i have found for vw window installation is silicone spray on the body and outside of the rubber- a helper to push in in the hole and hold light pressure on it/ best rope is weed eater pull start rope not the crappy plastic string for grass the actual starter rope - the high quality black stuff that looks like paracord
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

I like everything you're doing. Stick with it!

As for the old case, throw it away. It's junk. You also have plenty of replacements!

With all the parts you have, you could probably barter for some of the work!

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

esde wrote:
I always have a tote with a full assortment of tools on the passenger floor, to fix the little things that pop up.

i have a start to that kit. i imagine that will be something that grows and changes as i get to know the car better.

western auto wrote:
best method i have found for vw window installation is silicone spray on the body and outside of the rubber- a helper to push in in the hole and hold light pressure on it/ best rope is weed eater pull start rope not the crappy plastic string for grass the actual starter rope - the high quality black stuff that looks like paracord

thats the method that i called piano wire. i watched a bunch of videos and tried it. i dont understand what everyone is on about. took me a long time to get the wire in. i didnt have much luck getting it to lip over either. the cord tended to pinch the rubber against the car. the cord broke. the cord tore the rubber. i tried several types of cord.

since others are having success with that method you can assume my issues are operator error. since i wasnt having success that way i decided to attempt it differently.

what i did was pop the lip over using a small pry bar and then chase the lip around prying gently. all the stuff about silicone and an extra set of hands are the same. just using a pry bar to get it over the lip instead of weed whacker cord. i found it easy to control. i didnt have to feed anything into the tracks. the thing i was using to lever didnt break and it didnt damage my rubber. it worked well for me. maybe it can for someone else too.

a word of caution - the prybar can slip and damage things like the headliner. also prying against paint can and will damage it.

Blue Baron wrote:
I like everything you're doing. Stick with it!

As for the old case, throw it away. It's junk. You also have plenty of replacements!

With all the parts you have, you could probably barter for some of the work!

tyty - that case was the only 25hp out of the bunch. i think i may end up turning it into a coffee table or something. who knows.

its funny that you mention bartering for work. i sent all that 36hp engine stuff off to Joe Ruiz in california. we worked out a deal. im going to end up with a longblock. the case he is planning on using is a ~week older than the one i sent out there.

Toolpouch001 wrote:
thanks for sharing with us

for sure. thanks for joining me on this adventure!
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

tyty - that case was the only 25hp out of the bunch. i think i may end up turning it into a coffee table or something. who knows.

I like the idea and I can understand why you want to re-use it and give it a special function/place like that. It has been blasted clean and it looks great, even with the holes and damage, and it will make a nice reminder of all the parts your dad had gathered.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

put the door panels and handles in

dont forget the little dampeners. easy to forget.

looking like a car. that cant stand

better take it apart

the beam was sitting 2" high on the drivers side

get to rework the leaky steering box while im in here

got it clean enough to see teh number finally. looks like this was an original part.

looks like the link pins are pretty toast

fun stuff

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

got the beam clean and lubricated. everything moves fine. i think the trailing arms on the driver side has frozen up from some hardened grease.

started getting ready for king and link pins. pulled them off the brake backing plates

got the link bushes out. i dont have a press so it was time for some precision work with the sledge. king pins are still being stubborn.

new seals for the steering box. this one is dated 1960. no biggie from my perspective.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

i took the front beam off of the car because the drivers side sat several inches high. i couldnt install the shocks or the torsion snubber. after pulling everything apart and lubricating the beam it snapped back to place. it was stuck from dried up grease. i ran it through with solvents. the seals are fine. the bushings are fine. im not going to re-bush it at this time. it - shockingly - doesnt need to be done.

as i have gone through the front it seems someone had done some but not all of this work previously. this car was flat towed from wyoming to kansas city in the 1980s. i think it got some front axle work right before that. for instance it has new wheel bearings.

anyway...i blasted everything up with my handy dandy soda blaster.

masked up the beam

i spritzed it with some paint as a rust preventative.

all the shocks and snubbers fit. hooray!

and here are the brakes starting to get assembled. im still working through the differences between november 52 brakes and the 1954+ stuff thats available on the repop market. at this time im building something with 54+ pads because they are readily available. im going to wear this set out anyway. all the technically correct stuff will be saved and sorted out at a later date.

esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Great work Jim.
I've found very few cars that need inner bushings, but the bearings will get wrecked if not greased.
Kudos for keeping momentum on the project!
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

The work on the front beam and the brakes is looking good. The finish on the beam looks very matte, what kind of protection did you use for it?
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

thanks guys-

i used a rustoleum high heat paint. i just wanted to put something on it to keep the exposed metal from rusting. should be fine. looks kinda cool. shows grease with great contrast. obviously not stock at all.
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Thanks. It seems very appropriate.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Made more progress.

i pulled out the heater boxes and started working on them.

the top set are the ones for the bug.

there arent many things ive cleaned up that were dirtier. the little tabs on the J tubes are one of the small unique features of the early parts. the 3 holes across the front are another.

this goo is like the size of a plum. i think i ended up with maybe a cantaloupe or so

they came out pretty nice. they are a bit beat up so they still need some fine tuning but not to shabby.

picture WITH return springs... the one i posted earlier didnt have them

took a fun picture of some engine bits getting sorted out

oh...and cranberry sauce. like a lot of cranberry sauce.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

cleaned up my seat frames this week

here they are back in 2021.

i blasted them up and detail cleaned them last year. claned them a bunch and hit them with some paint

kept the maker tag

pulled the steering coulmn while i had the steering box out. cleaned up the horn contacts

painted it gave it new rubber

updated cabin pic

also we got added to the Hoffman Registry. Smiley is car #34.

fun fact about hoffman splits - there were just over 2000 split bugs imported to the us by hoffman. there are estimates of as many as 2200 split bugs in the us today. the split bug is more numerous in america today than it was at the end of production in 1953.

the turn signal housing wants you to have a nice weekend!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Jump to:
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: