Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

First of all, thanks to all who helped solve the horn relay lights issue. RESOLVED!
Today was nice, about 55° F, so I decided to start (again) "puttin' stuff back".

The first order was to get the wipers and electrical in. Done! I will purchase some rubber tubes for the water part. Offhand anyone know the size of these pipes/tubes for the windshield water spray?
It was a bit tough to get the wiper assembly back in place, but I did it, and replaced all the washers and nuts etc. Tested it and she works great. No need to add the wipers themselves yet, that can wait...
Then I went to the back end and wired in a OEM fuse for the brake light harness, and then it was time, I felt, to put the tar paper sound proofing back. That's what I did. I used the original tar paper sound proofing, and that MAY need to be swapped out at some time. But for now, she'll do...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Next up maybe get the starter motor in, and then the motor itself.
Then more misc work, like fresh air blower, evap system, you know. Those things.
Then I will start whittling down the interior work-probably start with door windows, doors, and then matts and/or carpet. Then side windows, windshield, and rear, and rear quarter panels. Don't forget the package tray....all after I get the headliner in!
But hey? Who knows?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

It’s coming together!!!!!

Can you feel the energy?!?!?! And you did it!!!! Knew you could.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
It’s coming together!!!!!
Can you feel the energy?!?!?! And you did it!!!! Knew you could.

Heheh Thanks for the props VW_Jimbo. Yeah it has been a journey hasn't it?
You and Jeremy_G, Buggeee, JHP212 and vanraam have been a few of the people who have been with me, some of you since my first post what-wow! I checked, and sure enough, VW_Jimbo was the FIRST reply I got from my first post, October 16th, 2019. Has it been that long???
It's been a great trip. I can feel something.. Sometimes energy, and sometimes I feel like the guy in Groundhog Day-same ol' same ol' rinse, lather, repeat right? ("fiddley bits"-remember that? Lots of those still remaining)

All and all, I can sure appreciate all the steps and pitfalls and learning into which I have sometimes stumbled and bumbled.

Close it is, but there is still much more. Again, many thanks to all who are still here, watching my journey and sharing their experiences and tips.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Popcorn I'm enjoying the progress updates
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:02 pm    Post subject: Project Progress and Plans Reply with quote

For those who have been following my thread, first and foremost-Thank you!

No major progress in the last few weeks, work and life have been occupying the bulk of my time... Go figure right?

I am trying to finalize the electrical and mechanical portion of the build-hence the lack of pictures. Who want to see a bunch of wires and motors right?
Anyway, I have installed and successfully operated my lights, emergency switch, and signals.

I have temped in my defroster and fresh air hoses from the upside down "peace sign" hose connector (you know what I mean) and hoping that will work -still haven't tried it with the hood installed or the fresh air box installed. Looking forward to that (he lied)....

Recently I have installed and successfully operated my wiper motor, and put the switch in. I have yet to successfully operate the spray/pump portion, but I have made headway. I have installed the original spray head, and recently bought 2 lines that attach from the bracket valve to the spare tire that operate/pressurize the bottle/washer fluid. Dunno why they sent me two, but I needed the extra one.

The bottle has a rubber line from the bottom of the bottle to the wiper switch. That carries the fluid, of course, to the wiper switch. The top portion of the bottle has the valve that screws into a valve mounted in the bracket on the right hand side of the front "boot". That is connected to the white/clear plastic line that connects from the valve to the spare tire air valve.

Wiper Bottle Pressurization- A Primer

I assume the valve from the bottle is 1) unscrewed/removed from the valve in the bracket then, to pressurize the tire, you 2) use a pump on the bracket valve to pressurize the tire. Then you 3) screw the bottle valve back into the bracket valve, and that pressurizes the bottle. Well, as I was installing/tightening the valve portion on the bracket, it broke, so I used the other one. Lucky I had it.

I will test the hose to the wiper 4) and add on a small piece from the wiper switch to the spray head. It doesn't matter which fixture you use on the wiper switch-it is just a "gate" that is opened by pressure when the operator pushes in on the inner part of the wiper switch onto the "gate".

The next unit I need to install and operate is the fresh air system. Recall about 2 (3?) years ago, I redid the brushes in the motor, and ressurected the fan. I rebuilt (modestly) the fan and unit, and they are working. Not a lot of room in the compartment, I am trying to make sure everything works and runs without pinching or occluding any wiring, fresh air/defrost hoses, tubing, or wiper arms.
Funny story. You know that part about loosing parts/pieces after 3-4 years of storage and so forth? Well, the fresh air knobs fell victim to that malady. Yup, can't find 'em. So, Samba Classified and I located 2 OEM with inserts. (sigh) This is what just "nickles and dimes" ya to death....

I also redid my vapor cannister with the correct type of carbon from another brand. I will continue to re-do THAT system as I go. BTW, I still am a bit lost about how to install that long, cylinder-like gasoline recovery expansion chamber thingee. Anyone have pictures on one installed in a super beetle? Please direct me to same.

I wanna get the starter transferred from the temp bell housing to the bug-then hopefully the engine to follow. Oops! Still have to get the brakes juiced up and bled..... Gosh, when will it be ready?

So in summary, still lots to do and not a lot of time at the present. I will survive.
regordracis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

credit this borrowed pic from someone/somewhere on the interweb - been on my phone for months , awaiting to re-instal mine properly

vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Project Progress and Plans Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
BTW, I still am a bit lost about how to install that long, cylinder-like gasoline recovery expansion chamber thingee. Anyone have pictures on one installed in a super beetle? Please direct me to same.

Hey China! Nice work on...well, everything! I just went thru 100's of pictures from my old '72 Super, and for the life of me could not find one of the evap tube/cannister connected under the cowl. And I had the system fully operational too. This might be able to help you some, although it mostly shows the Standard's connections.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713211&highlight=evap

They're basically the same, except the Super's expansion tube is under the cowl. I'll keep digging thru my pictures, I must have a few *somewhere*. Also, if you can get a hold of the Clymer's manual for '71+, it has some of the best diagrams of how the system is connected.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

regordracis wrote:
credit this borrowed pic from someone/somewhere on the interweb - been on my phone for months , awaiting to re-instal mine properly

THAT'S IT!!
That is exactly what I was looking for..
I do appreciate it!
CC
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Project Progress and Plans Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Chinaclipper wrote:
BTW, I still am a bit lost about how to install that long, cylinder-like gasoline recovery expansion chamber thingee. Anyone have pictures on one installed in a super beetle? Please direct me to same.

Hey China! Nice work on...well, everything! I just went thru 100's of pictures from my old '72 Super, and for the life of me could not find one of the evap tube/cannister connected under the cowl. And I had the system fully operational too. This might be able to help you some, although it mostly shows the Standard's connections.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713211&highlight=evap

Thanks for the effort Vamram. I did look and have returned to that link many times the last few years, it is by far THE BEST descriptive document collection of how the VW Beetle evaporative fuel vapor system works, but it just never includes an accurate picture of the expansion chamber "in vitro". Wink...
Got one now tho!

CC

Last edited by Chinaclipper on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Progress report Star Date 2/26/24 Reply with quote

Well this weekend I had a few hours so...
First order of the day was installation of starter motor.
Yes, I had to shift it from its temporary location in the "bench tester" bell housing to the real deal.

A few words...

1) You CAN put in the starter without taking off that right rear wheel, but I'm not gonna try doing it again without taking it off ..... grumble....
2) That one lower nut will really hold the darn thing in place, but I wouldn't want to depend on it staying in without the top bolt and nut. I will get that one in when I put the motor in......Soon.
3) I'm not sold on that "push on" connector for the ignition wire to the starter. I tightened it up an' everything, but I can see that dang thing coming off, and at the most inopportune time too......It will be the first thing I check if I ever have the dreaded "no sound no nothing!" when I hit the key.
4) I did test the starter when I installed it-seems to be doing its thing. And
5) No, I did NOT buy a new starter. Regrets? I've had a few, but not here. (knocks on wood)

Then, I decided it was time to fill the brake fluid reservoir.
And that, dear readers, is when the "fit hit the shan"....

Yes, I know, I should have test filled it when the body was off, and everthing was easy to reach and fix; well, "one learns a great many things too late" (wow, I am full of trite little sayings today aren't I?)

Anyway, so I filled the reservoir (with a good quality type IV fluid, completely OK for the older bug BTW) and then GENTLY bumped the brakes a few times, just to cycle some of the fluid. I refilled it, then figured, "I should see if I have any leaks".. and sure as sh@t, there was a nice little puddle under the car, directly beneath the MC. So, I appropriately cussed a blue storm, then I jacked 'er up (remembering the proper placement for the jack and jackstands) removed the wheel, and checked her out. Well, it appeared that the fluid was coming from the metal pipes that lead to the MC. Hmmmm... Not the connections, NOT the nuts on the MC. So, I decided I'd have to remove the pipes.
Well, 30 minutes later (more grumbling and curses thrown at the whole situation) I had the pipes in my hand. Sure as sh@t, there was a little "kerf" nick in one of the pipes. Musta' happened when I was doing some bodywork, I dunno...

So, I ordered 2 more pipes, and some more of that blue cloth brake tubing, and more shipping costs (argh!) and will try again at a later date.

Retrospectively, I suppose I could try to repair the old ones, or even maybe just run the cloth covered tubes directly into the MC-I have heard there is no pressure from the reservoir to the MC (well then why did it gush out like a frickken' geyser???) but I figured might as well "respect the rebuild" and try to keep it as original as possible......dunno why but there ya have it.... It's done.

So, more waiting, more "fiddley bits", more shipping charges....more delays....And I still need to get that fresh air box in.
BTW, I looked for the neat little black cardboard-like covering for the top part of the trunk. It was like $70 for the piece, but it said $70 dollars FOR THE SHIPPING!!! Could that possibly be correct???? Holy she-ite.....
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:51 pm    Post subject: Progress time! Reply with quote

Today I had a few goals. 1) Make sure the brake line et al is OK, and 2) install the fresh air box, and also, 3) test the wiper/washer switch pump system.
I got the two stainless pipes in the mail, along with yet another $10 shipping charge, and promptly went to work.

The space to work was definitely making it a challenge: Didn't really want to remove the fuel tank, so I jacked up the front, pulled the tire, and set the jacks. Trying to take off, then reconnect those little blue brake lines onto the stainless lines was a real bitch, but I got it done. I also added some clamps on the MC portion-I know, it is just a gravity flow, no pressure in the lines.... But....Murphy has NOT been absent these days so..

I rechecked the brake line fittings on the MC, and sure as heck, one was a bit loose. Then I just happened to see that the ball joint nuts looked a little odd, and sure enough, they had somehow loosened. Did I forget to tighten them? Dunno, but I put some locktite on the threads and snugged them up too.

Then it was time to install the fresh-air box. I made sure all the cables were connected and I was opening and closing the flaps ok. Check. Then I lube'ed with wire puller lube the oval "receptacle" that the end of the box mates with (made a BIG difference BTW) and popped her in!

After going to the hardware store to get some #10x1/2" screws, I snugged her in. Perfect fit! And, I found the knobs I thought I lost. Bonus!! So I tested that and was feeling very smug with myself. Even turned it on and worked the controls and switches and everything.

Then, I saw it. Yup. The ashtray assembly.

Argh! There she was just lying on the side there, just laughing at me. I even had the tracks greased up, the whole shebang. Well, if there is a way to install it without removing the fresh air box I'm all ears.....

So, lots of grumbling and choice words, I removed the fresh air box, and got the ashtray assembly in. I was pleased to find out that I had left the screws in place, so I didn't have to scrounge some old ones. I did have to loosen up the fresh air control piece on the dash, but that weren't no problem. I got the ashtray holder part in with minimum issues, and pushed in the sliding part from the dash side-smooth! And it has the shift pattern on it too! Love it. The fresh air box went in real easy the next time, I guess a little experience helped.....

Oh yeah, almost forgot. The wiper/pump system.
Well, I remembered to hook up the hoses so that was good. I found my old nasty spare (yeah, it could BARELY hold air) and pumped it up. I put some water in the bottle, I screwed the line on, and pushed.

Well, she squirted all right! In fact, she squirted all over the switch too. I think either I need a new switch or the little thing that pushes on the diaphragm is leaking and is shot or both. Well, I'll look at that again later. It isn't priority one right now....I suppose I'll need to remove the fresh air box again. Well, I'm getting a lot of experience.... Embarassed

So that was my day;so much more to do, that headliner is looming up real big in the rear view mirror.

It's coming fast, and so of course is the motor install. Then doors, windows, and oh my!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: CC where are you? Reply with quote

It's been a while; stuck for time, more activities then time, the usual excuses.
Well, it's time for one more major event for me...

(it's really all about major events and "firsts" when you do these things, isn't it? First time you take the body off, first time you paint, major event when ya get the motor running again, major event when you get a new major component in, first time you weld a new part on, first time you mate the body with the shell, you get it...)

So today I finally got around to ordering the headliner and all the miscellaneous needs to do the job. My job time-commitment is winding down a bit, and the weather yes it is warming up, so I can no longer use those two excuses to get my butt in gear. Lots of little "fiddly bits" to go, but I need to tick this one off the list like soon, to push ahead to the others.

So, here we go, getting mentally ready and start watching again the many videos to prime myself to get the job done.
I love youtube, but sooner or later ya hafta' DIY!

More to follow.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Good luck to you! Headliners are fun! Be sure to get a solvent based contact cement (IF U CAN) and a 100 paper clips, the ones with the folding handles and the black springy thing. Then start at the front window and work backwards, stretching, tugging, smoothing and cussing the whole time. Remember to keep a bottle of thinner around to prolong the open time of the cement, IF you find it kicking off before you are ready to get there. You will also need a decent heat gun. After applying the adhesive, you have to air dry the pieces, to get rid of any latent moisture on the two halves. That moisture, if left in place, will act as a hydraulic wedge and not allow the cement to cure (custom furniture making 101!). So, time, clips, patience, small areas, more patience, thinner, patience, stretch and stick, rub hand over it. If it feels smooth move to the next spot. If not get the heat gun going to get the remnant solvents evaporating to make the cement fluid again, then pull up the headliner in that spot and restock it immediately! Then back to smoothing,…..etc…..next spot. Keep the clips in place the entire time with no less that 1/2” between them at the window openings. At the door and headliner, use a small segment of soft edged wood and a hammer to tap the grip bar tabs tight. Do not over tighten them. You just want to close the opening up, not smash it. But be sure the entire lace is in the clips. Then glue up the B Pillar and get back into smoothing,……etc…….next spot!

Have fun and figure on a full 8 hour day of climbing and working in a confined space, hunched over or on your knees ALL OF THE TIME! Your knees will get cut open, so wear knee pads (that e brake handle opening sucks!).

But with it all, DON’T LET THE JOB OUT THINK YOU! If it starts going sideways, STOP! Rethink the approach or ask questions! Regather, plan and reattach the target!

You got this! You just need to thin and visualize the steps, then recreate those steps!

Good luck!!!!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Good luck to you! Headliners are fun!
Good luck!!!!

Thanks VW_Jimbo. As usual great advice-all. I have procured TONS of the clips, big and small, and will get the contact cement vs the 90 3m-spray type. I have read similar suggestions, so it sounds like a plan.

Not gonna tackle this project right away, probably mid- April when the stars will align on this project, but this advice will serve me well!
Best
CC
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Good luck to you! Headliners are fun!
Good luck!!!!

Thanks VW_Jimbo. As usual great advice-all. I have procured TONS of the clips, big and small, and will get the contact cement vs the 90 3m-spray type. I have read similar suggestions, so it sounds like a plan.

Not gonna tackle this project right away, probably mid- April when the stars will align on this project, but this advice will serve me well!
Best
CC

Good! Don't use the spray stuff. It does not have enough initial tack! However, if you have a good plastic supplier near you. A specialty supplier of foam and plastics (like acrylic sheeting) they typically have a great spray adhesive, not 3M! It STICKS! Well worth finding if you can!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:22 pm    Post subject: Miscellaneous.... Reply with quote

Today I finally tackled the brakes, and finally got the heater controls in.

By brakes I mean "bleed and adjust"

Oh, BTW, did I tell you my knee acted up, and yup, right on cue? Yeah-torn meniscus. Sticks when I am in weird positions like crawling on the floor and hurts like a muther. Keeps me from playing table tennis with my 12 year old....Sigh, ANOTHER thing I have to get fixed.....(oh-the knee NOT the 12 year old)

Bleed and adjust? "Get that vacuum thingee" they said......

Yeah, nah, I'm Old School all the way. Oh sure, I did my homework, I looked up all I could about brake bleeding, pressure AND vacuum bleeders. They all looked cool. I, however, remember doing it about 30 years ago, and for some crazy reason I needed to go "old school". So, I consulted my manual (Bentleys) and
1) jacked 'er up.
2) Tightened the star adjusters to fix the pads (brand new!)
3) put the plastic tube (1/4") on the bleeder valve
4) Starting with the front right, got my 7mm wrench, and "Push!-Hold!-Up!
The first one took a LONG time and lots of fluid! Then it was a breeze.

Mrs China Clipper was very patient, I even temp'ed the seat in place for her comfort. She only wondered off once or twice as I was changing wheels. Wink

Then I rechecked all, made sure the bleeder valves were tight, capped 'em off, and re-adjusted the brakes/star adjusters. I now have a pedal. Nice! No test drive yet....... soon. Soon? There's that word "soon" again.... ("The Chosen" aficionados will understand)

Since I was there I made sure I had brake lights.

Link

Brake lights AND Blinkers! Check!

Next (and interestingly enough the LONGEST part of the day was then to put in my heater cables. You know the ones-the little black knob you pull up and you have heat.
Well, there was a stuck old wire in the lower one, so I couldn't get anything past it.
It took me about 2 hours, but I finally realized I would need to drill out the old one from the back end that was stuck, and after trying everything else, that's what I did.
Nearest I could tell, the old one had got stuck and busted off in the tube when I took it out years ago. The part that hooks up to the exchangers. Well, anyway, I straightened out the tube a bit to get a straight shot, and drilled 'er out.

There was just a stub of wire where I had tried to pull it out, so I had a little handle. But not much! If that thing woulda busted off, I don't know how I woulda gotten it out...
Anyway, all is good, got the wires in, the control lever in (after I put in in backwards the first time), and there ya have it!

Motor next, maybe?

Last edited by Chinaclipper on Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Nice progress! Man, you are soooooo close! Get that motor in and before you know it you'll be pinching yourself because you won't believe you're actually ON THE ROAD!!

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: Go! Engine in! Reply with quote

So it’s finally a done deal. I have been visualizing it for months; the last time I did this, gentle readers, was probably 30 years ago, so it has been a while.

Yup, I got the motor in.

Only a few minor issues, one including a nice little forehead tattoo where my forehead met the decklid hinge. Ouch! Oh well-what’s a car job without a little blood, right?

I remember reading Steinbeck’s “Grapes of Wrath”-one of my favorites BTW-and the principle character is replacing the crankshaft bearings on an old and tired car. He cuts his hand, and starts to bleed. He’s asked if he wants to wrap up his hand, and he says “Hell no! I’ve never fixed a car in my life ‘thout cuttin’ myself. Now that it’s done I don’t hafta worry no more!"
He had a unique way of stopping the blood too, if I recall. But that's another story......

Anyway, so a few things to share:
1) The Harbor Freight motorcycle lift is really nice for lifting the engine into place. For $125 it’s a steal.
2) The idea of using the spare tire on top of the car jack under the car to lift was an incredible idea. It worked great.
3) You can do this alone, but it is really nice to have someone help you. Even if they don’t know the difference between a ratcheting wrench and a regular wrench. Sigh.. Yeah really. Heheh it took a while for me to realize she was just loosening and tightening that nut on the “starter” bolt before I realized she thought it was a ratchet wrench.
4) Never NEVER raise your voice (I did NOT yell) at your helper. She may just tell you where you can put your non-ratcheting wrench and walk away.

So there's that. Back to the details.
Anyway, I raised the car,

Then I lowered the car down on the jacks, and kept the car jack-spare wheel in place for safety.
I got the engine/lift combo-just slid it over from the roller platform it was on, took off the rear tin and hoses, and put it under the car. I raised it up, lined it up....and a few healthy pushes, some choice words, lots of "get under and checking", "shimmy-push-shimmy", turn-the-engine-with-the-pulley....

and when after all that, that first lower stud showed through, and I knew it was close. I tightened her up, sure enough the other one showed up too!

So I got that other one in, tightened 'er a bit, then after a few minor delays on the top "starter bolt" (see above), for the first time in 5 years, engine and body were once again reunited.

Next, get the tin and hoses back in, redo the seal, wire it up yada yada yada, and fire 'er up. I DID bench test, as you may recall, about 6 months ago, but it will still be nice to see and hear the motor "in situ".

it was a good day, but lots of sweat and some blood too. Carry on!

Last edited by Chinaclipper on Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Jhp212
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

That’s fantastic! Doing a great job on that vw. Your next post HAS to be that you took it out for a ride, right? Even if it’s just around the block.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: China Clipper's Official 1971 Super Beetle Project page! Reply with quote

Sooooooo close!!!
Popcorn

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 38, 39, 40  Next
Jump to:
Page 39 of 40

Jump to: