Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

^looking forward to that David !

It seems the felt insulation in the engine compartment is original. The type of felt and way of gluing is absolutely coherent with what I have seen in VWs before.

Thanx for all of your kind words!

I really appreciate Josephine for what she is, and how her former owners have kept her alive and well for so many decades. I am used to build project cars ground up from rusted out shells, but have also had one similar quality original oval bug survivor before, so I am really happy to be able to get this 31.
Working on survivor cars is different than working on restoration projects. I want to keep as many og details, but do a very thorough cleaning, maintenance and preservation job.

here's some inspection of the undercarriage. It appears that it has been undercoated when new, and also waxoiled maybe then or at least decades ago. traces of wax will have to be removed from body panels. even the hood and lid have been waxed in the corners.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is the amount of brushed on touch up paint on front rock chips:

I really need to check is drain holes in rockers and quarters. I feel, since the car has been undercoated and waxed so thick, and former owners always had the car sheltered and mostly driven in good weather. I am not sure whether or not water will drain out as it should.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior

Last edited by djfordmanjack on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

One thing that really needs replaced is the exhaust. The main muffler really is beyond repair (as they have 'fixed' the crap out of it already.. Laughing ). It appears it is still the original unit though. the tail pipe muffler seems to have been replaced with an NOS part before and is still ok-ish. tail pipe extension (this is the early 3 piece muffler) not so much.
I already have a (very old) replacement exhaust. It appears they used og VW heat shields that they welded on a replacement muffler. be interesting to find out how it fits.

I also fiddled a bit with the cold start mechanism, since the choke release piston happened to get stuck (fully closed). The housing seems a bit warped, but I think it is due to quenched and uneven paper gaskets, which need to get replaced asap.
While at it i did a warm up and compression test, which reads pretty good for a 61 year old unopened engine Very Happy

Plugs show a little rich for my taste, but the choke piston obviously had bad influence and who knows how old they are. fresh set gapped, good to go, now she purrs much better than before. Cool

at the traffic lights, she is so quiet, I have to check the oil and generator lights, see if she is still running. I am not used to this Type 3 kind of noise insulation feel... Wink Very Happy

Here's some 1960s 'Kodachrome' for ya all... Wink ... I just love mid century feel...

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

Cleaning process started ! Very Happy

Guys, I am just slowly getting back into type 3s and still have a lot to learn. Can you please help me with the stickers in the engine compartment ? The Oil sticker is still in good original condition, but there is neither an air cleaner decal or maintenance stamp, nor a Bosch coil sticker or valve lash adjustment (on the belt cover). I don't want to overdo things, so - can you please fill me in on what was originally there on a May/June 63 1500?

Also replaced the wire loom sheathing for the trunk light, wires were all good. Still have to do the license plate light harness.

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

It just looks fantastic! As for the decals, I would leave them off or not worry about them. Might look out of place with brand new decals on such a clean original car.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

I believe the air cleaner would have the circular text on it on red but it would have been silk-screened on there so no sticker.

I'd leave it as-is since it looks to be really clean and shiny.

The coil would have a sticker on it.

No other stickers.

My 4.63 Squareback (maybe close enough?):

You can see the air cleaner and sticker position there.

Close-up of coil decal

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

Thanx a lot, that helps ! It appears as if there are still remnants of the coil sticker, or at least the glue in the same area on mine.

I am not sure about the air cleaner. searching the forum and classifieds, it seems there were 2 different manufacturers MANN and Knecht, with Mann being silk screened and Knecht having a smaller water slide decal. If you look closely on my air cleaner there also appear to be remnants of something close to the carb side. ISP has it (I think it is a waterslide, as the original would be), but there also seem to be different versions of Knecht filters. All smooth top and mine has embossed lettering.

I agree I don't want to have it looking gaudy all dressed up, so will not be adding the valve lash decal. I have a very nice Bosch coil sticker with a matte finish, that I will try putting on the coil. If I don't like it I can still remove it.

ps, Everett. your 'old' Notch, appears to have had the same embossed script type KNECHT air cleaner that I have. Yours appears to have remnants of the decal left.

EverettB wrote:

My old '63 Notchback didn't have it either:

considering the felt insulation, it maybe has to do with cold climate version, here in Austria vs. AZ or CA ??

HenrikL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
Cleaning process started ! Very Happy

Wow! Very good results! I need to do the same on my 1964 Notchback.

Did you use that yellow spray can? What is the full name of it?
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

It is called INNOTECH Multi clean. Not associated with them but can highly recommend! It's an industrial product from Austria, but you should be able to get it in Sweden. The vendor seems to be in Dk. https://www.innotec.dk/
You also need little foam pads, to rub the dirt, off. and plenty of paper towels and micro fiber rags.
I finished the rear trunk and engine compartment today. Very Happy

I was able to find a correct 'Betriebsanleitung'.

put the decal on the coil. the old glue residue was clearly visible after cleaning, and the new sticker exactly matched the size.

Then I finally unwrapped the steering wheel after 61 years. The cover was a neat period touch, but started to rip and also had become very sticky and somewhat gross. I'll probably never ever get any closer to a brand new 1963 steering wheel. Cool

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

That cleaned up really nice. Cool I agree with the others and just use the limited decals you might already have (don't over dress it). It's really nice to see some of those old OE parts cleaned up and still doing their job.

As for your spare muffler, it looks like it's missing the tin cover for the left side, but otherwise it should go right on. Maybe you can salvage the one currently on the car and add it to the new one. It looks like you'll just need the elbow from the muffler to the dampener piece to use it once you have the "pre-heater" cover installed. Maybe Mario at the Type 3 detectives (in Germany) could help you find what you need (it's 2 piece). I got lucky using the Samba classifieds when I went looking for my dampener pipe for my NOS muffler I bought at the type 3 Invasion for my 64 T-34. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

Bob I get what you mean with the stickers. I also had a discussion with a friend who owns another Graz based survivor 356 ('57). He told me to leave everything that works as is. Since it's been working for 6 decades already. I am a sucker for engine compartment decals... I am sorry....I may inquire with ISP West since they seem to carry the correct air cleaner water slide for this Knecht unit. The Notch is so much fun to drive, I may as well wear down the new stickers to the perfect shade of patina, as well.... Very Happy

Yes I need to get in touch with Mario for 32PHN gaskets and see what I can find in og exhaust parts. I also have some stuff left from several other projects that I need to go through. I am learning quickly that early Type 3 isn't a walk in the park..... Laughing

Did some more things today.
The last seat cover (on the rear bench) had to go after 61 years as well! While the covers certainly helped to preserve the original seat cloth and vinyl, unfortunately they had a thin foam lining inside, that crumbled after decades and left sticky black speckles all over the white vinyl. I peeled off as much as I could by hand, but had to use lacquer thinner to completely remove them. that was nerve wrecking, but turned out ok with a quick follow up wipe down with Innotech foam cleaner.

What would you guys recommend using for seat covers ? clear vinyl, any source? just cotton blankets in a 60s pattern? I still have my parents car blankets from the 1960s. but they are blue. Are there any aftermarket seat covers for Type 3 available ?

Here is a rather not so beautiful spot of the interior. The RH rear armrest had been torn from pulling the bench to get access to the battery. I have some of the crumbles but not sure if all. Does anybody (possibly in Europe) have parts of an armrest that I can cut out the pebble vinyl, I'd really just need a piece on the top edge like 2"x2" ( 5x5cm)

Here is a cool find. The rear seat cover was fastened to the lower seat springs with old ski rubber bands. Those were used back in the day to keep a pair of skis tied together. Interestingly, they are branded 'Alpenlandkaufhaus (Alpine region shopping center) Kastner & Öhler' which was the biggest shopping mall in Graz. My father told me he bought a replacement muffler for his 1970 beetle there in, like 1973. I have some 1940s 78 rpm acetate records that carry the Alpenlandkaufhaus sticker, and also a 1950s coat (Lodenjanker). They were the go-to place back then (and still in business today).

Last edited by djfordmanjack on Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

For seat covers, no. Just use them and enjoy it. They've been covered for so long, just enjoy them as is. Cleaning up very nicely!

Make sure you pop the rear seat back over the lip.

Follow ISP West on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

I did !
that was pre- speckles removal Very Happy

I don't know. I am a dirty old man.....Sorry for that.... but I do wear a greasy bib about 90% of the time. I simply CAN NOT use the interior as is. Embarassed

Maybe I need to invest in a pair of fancy cotton trousers instead ?

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

I found this under the pssgr seat, wonder if it's the key to the old garage in Keplerstrasse 35 ?

And this in the glove box. They did make good use of it. It's still working ! Shocked

This (old touch ups)

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

Those seats covers are screaming for an ass to sit on them.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Those seats covers are screaming for an ass to sit on them.

Agreed! Just don't sit on them with greasy clothes. Laughing C'mon now...you found a gem, now you gotta treat it like such. Maybe some vintage-y sheep skin seat covers might be okay and look the part. Cool

Follow ISP West on:

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

Now you got me by the ***.... you are both right but... I had this survivor oval for 5 years and drove it like 200kms...

I just want to keep with the former owners...and keep Josephine as nice as can be.

Well I get a set of trousers, me thinks... Very Happy

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

I want to by you when I grow up.
I have the adopt a three legged dog complex except for old VWs, so nearly ever VW I’ve bought with a few rare exceptions have bee roached turds that I restore. But I figure eventually I’ll grow to old to do that and will look for original cars to pamper.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

eggsaggdly! THAT !

Been welding and grinding and picking and putting stuff together from heaps of sh**. They all were great cars to use, drive and hop in a greased up bib.
They re only original once.
Today I was thinking about my 5.5 chrome Sprints and what that means. 1 click?

Link

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
eggsaggdly! THAT !

Been welding and grinding and picking and putting stuff together from heaps of sh**. They all were great cars to use, drive and hop in a greased up bib.
They re only original once.
Today I was thinking about my 5.5 chrome Sprints and what that means. 1 click?

Link

That's a tough call. As nice as it is in OE condition, doing a tire and rim change, and dropping it a spline is a "bolt on" deal. That's what's nice about a type 3, the suspension IS adjustable.

I'd still look for some seat covers to cover the front seats at a minimum.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ruby Red Josephine - a lovely 1963 1500 Notchback from Austria Reply with quote

There you have it Bob, thanx a lot for your understanding. Certainly it is now MY notch since I paid for it, but I am having a hard time just wearing it down. I simply can't. I didn't drive my oval much, because it was so pristine. It drove nicely. all around. just the fact that survivors cars are making it somewhat difficult for me to use.
Since the 30k miles 1500 is even a better car than a 60k mls oval...is what makes it difficult. I put on some white cotton duvet covers for the meantime, and they are already dirty after 2 days ! Very Happy I can't help. As soon as I am around an old car, I can't stop from tinkering and generally 'living' the car. Screwdriver and rag in the bib that is. It is good for my cars, but not for a pristine interior it seems... hence I was asking for covers. I saw some Australian (vintage) covers. they appeared to be (perforated?) clear vinyl. Salt n Pepper was still visible. That would be an utterly sweet addition.

I feel that I really want to drive the 1500 more. It is a great street car. For now I have some work scheduled, possibly a good replacement intake with the exhaust repair. Ultra sonic carb clean, new gaskets and such, to make it a 100% daily reliable driver. lowering, rims, seat covers will go from there.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: