Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfinwesty Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

I was able to take some temperature measurements from the back seat during our heatwave yesterday and today. It’s pretty darn impressive if you put up the curtains, in 97-98 degree weather, it drops to about 88 (no curtains) to sub-84 (with curtains).

A lot more testing to do, but it’s winning me over (and more importantly, the wife and toddler).

Link

I got all the gauges, solar, and dc-dc electrical elements installed. More tests to come.

Retired:
"Swell Chaser #1" 1980 Westy (in VW Heaven)
"Swell Chaser #2" 1981 Westy (sold to loving family on TheSamba forum)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

cool...
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

drj434343 wrote:
As a comparison, anyone know or would care to estimate the BTU output of Small Car's dash AC system? I don't think they know themselves, but I've heard similar reports about barely keeping the front occupants comfortable but not much else.

It would be useful to know as it relates to these alternative 12V units.

I have the Smallcar unit, I can't begin to estimate the BTUs but the "real-world" experience is that it works okay, "just enough". On real hot days, cruising, it will keep the driver and passenger cool, backseat doggie does okay but is probably 5-10 degrees warmer. If the van has been in the sun before running it, it takes a good 20 minutes of driving before things get cool and comfortable. The vents blow directly on you so this goes a long way to making it acceptable.
We had the fan wiring fry on one trip and had to go without the smallcar A/C unit for a 3 hr hot day drive home, the difference between having it and not was pretty huge, so it does make a substantial contribution to comfort, it just is far from what one experiences from a modern vehicles A/C capability.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Still looking for pictures of the install project. I assume the luggage rack, metal roof and headliner all had to be cut out. That speaks to committment. Not that these ever end back up on the market, but just like an aftermarket sunroof or vant install, that has to shrink your audience.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

That’s 2k. Of AC and 2k of batteries for 10 degrees F delta?

That’s brutal
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s 2k. Of AC and 2k of batteries for 10 degrees F delta?

That’s brutal

To be fair, the Small Car alternative is $2K plus all supporting hardware (compressor, lines, condenser, drier, etc) for a system that only works while driving and is likely sub-10K BTU and also somewhat marginal as well.

Would love hard temp numbers in full sun on the Small Car setup, because I'm also contemplating either a 12V setup like this or Small Car in-dash.

It doesn't seem like there is a decent BTU aftermarket option for those of us without AC in these vans.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Still looking for pictures of the install project.

Going through all the video footage now and compiling. I should have it posted within the week.

The next install we see with one off these is going to be much quicker and less painful after watching my blood, sweat, and tears on this project. Lots of tips, tricks, and expense reductions.

Be in touch soon.

Retired:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

I apologize for the delay, but I was finally able to wrap up the video that covered my RTX2000 installation. Fun project, love the unit. It's like having a new van (really!).

Here is the link to the Samba thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=784148

Retired:
Trail Wizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

What a great concept especially for people in hot climates, but where does the condensation go? I assume the domestic have a tube that is routed over the edge of the roof?
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

I would imagine, like RV ac units that it simply runs down the roof. My China knock off has holes in the bottom to do just that.
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Mine simply goes down and out the rain gutters. Occasionally, when it's super hot, and I come to a stop for a while (like traffic), I'll see a little drizzly that comes down the front passenger windows near the front rain gutter.

Retired:
willyok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Not to hi Jack, I’m really interested in doing one of these 12v AC units in my tintop. Seems easier and cheaper than installing either a factory AC or an aftermarket engine driven system. I’ve found a couple other brands; velit which is a newer knock off that is significantly cheaper and nomadic that is more expensive but may have a larger cooling capacity. My goal is to only use the AC while driving. Powering it off of a second group 27 battery being charged by an aftermarket high output TDI alternator. The local alternator guy says he can build an alternator that can reliably and consistently put out 100 amps.
Timpvf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

I would love to get a template of the roof rack cut out. The trial and error on that must’ve been a lot of work. Why reinvent the wheel. If anyone has a template, let me know. I am getting ready to install a 2000 before the end of summer.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

Timpvf wrote:
I would love to get a template of the roof rack cut out. The trial and error on that must’ve been a lot of work. Why reinvent the wheel. If anyone has a template, let me know. I am getting ready to install a 2000 before the end of summer.

I’m surprised no one has pulled molds of the luggage rack. It would be relatively easy and there would be an endless supply of the compartment going forward.
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 12V Dometic Rooftop A/C install in a Westy Reply with quote

To provide another data point, I called VintageAir and got them to tell me that the Gen V in-dash unit which is used in the Small Car Vanagon conversion kit is rated for 24k BTU's, with some variation depending on compressor used.

That was a lot higher than I expected, but should provide some context on the previously reported experiences that the front passengers can stay cool, but that's about it.

It should also provide context to the roof top AC units which supply perhaps 1/3 of the BTU's.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: