Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

So I've owned my 64 for just under 2 years now, and I've learned the cars "personality" you could say. But there is still two more learning curves I have yet to kinda go through/deal with.

1. Interstate travel.
2. Long Distance travel.

For some context, This little 64 is a dream, putts around just fine, runs perfectly, she's all ready and rearin' to go when I need her to. I live in Northwest Indiana, and there's alot of backroads and county roads to take to get from point A to B, and if you're not driving around town it's easily 20 minutes to the next one over. However, there's not a very large VW scene in my area, everything is either in Fort Wayne IND. (2hr drive) or Indianapolis IND. (2hr 45, 3 depending the route).

Only very recently did I take it on Interstate 94, but that was at night and heading east when the traffic is light, that way I could cruise a lil' bit and see how the car would handle. She seemed to do just fine.
The furthest I've ever taken the car is about 25 miles from home, which don't sound like alot, but for the area, that's about an hours worth of travel before going to where you need to go.
What I'm asking is basically, how long and far do you trust your VW to take you, and at what point is the drive not worth it for the cars sake, and ontop of that, is highway travel a bad idea during more lively hours of the day?

Appreciate the input fellas,
-J
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

I’ve driven my bus from DC to Cape Cod twice already in the last three years. It’s about 1000 miles round trip. Mostly highway driving. In addition to longer trips from Cape Cod to various parts of Massachusetts 1-3hrs away.

I’m the mechanic so I know mechanically the bus is fine and the parts I’ve rebuilt and or replaced and feel very comfortable driving long distances. I also carry lots of spare parts and tools with me in case anything should happen on the road.

If I’m on the highway I stick to the right lane almost entirely, so folks can zoom by. I also try to drive to DC on 95 early in the morning to avoid dense traffic. Can’t speak to long distance, I only stop for gas and food and keep going. No point in stopping for cool down breaks or anything, motors just gunna warm up again. So might as well keep driving and that air moving through the motor to keep it cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

50 years ago there were service stations at every exit. Cars broke down often. So even brand new, there were routine issues. Expect them.

Every car has its gremlins. Drive it 25 miles, then 50, then 100… and so on. Once you go through a few repair cycles and get a feel for it, you can begin to trust it.

But even then, there’s no such thing as never breaking down. AAA and a few simple wrenches is all one needs.

It also depends on HOW you drive it. There’s a lot of retards out there that swear it’s ok to drive 75 all day long in their aircooled.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

When we were kids we would drive our Beetles anywhere any time without the faintest thought of being let down.

Most every time no problem.

I think we have lost our trust a bit.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

Being the sole mechanic of my car and having repaired or maintained everything from bumper to bumper for the past eleven and a half years, I have complete confidence in my VW to get me as far as I wish to or am able to go. These days I'll admit the car is far more capable of driving for hours on end than I am, an hour or two driving is typically sufficient to cripple my right knee and lower back to the point I can't walk more than fifty yards at a go, but in the not so distant past I would routinely head out for a cruise of 200 miles or more without blinking an eye, even took a couple multi-state trips covering 1000 to 1600 miles. While these old VWs do require more periodic and preventative maintenance than the newer cohort in order to do so, they're still perfectly capable of long distance travel with a little due diligence and attention to what they're telling you.

Like others, I tend to pretty much stay in the right lane when on the big interstates and let the rat race blow by, the car seeming to be most comfortable settling into a 65mph cruise for the long haul. My preference though, whenever possible, is to use the older US highway system or backroads less traveled as I find most drivers these days to be way too aggressive, in way too much of a hurry, and too distracted by all the pretty touch screens and phones in their cars.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Of course sometimes despite one's best efforts you're visited by Murphy whilst out on your jaunt (best laid plans of mice and men 'n such), so it's always best to have some tools along. Wink

DocNexil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 1:37 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

Jeremby wrote:
how long and far do you trust your VW to take you

I trust my bus to go as far as my mechanical knowledge goes. Last year I trusted her to undergo a 2400 mile 16 day trip from southern Utah to Oregon and California. I've only had her for just over 5 years and I have so much to learn still, but my point is the trust goes both ways I guess. Trusting the car is trusting yourself (or your mechanic, if you don't do the work yourself).

Jeremby wrote:
at what point is the drive not worth it for the cars sake

Anything less than a 10-15 minute drive is the point I consider not driving for the car's sake. Short trips where the engine doesn't get to operating temperature is not great for them. As for the other end, do not ask your car to do more than it was meant to do. You'll feel the car "settle" into a comfortable top speed. It'll do more if you need to briefly pass someone, but return to the comfort zone and your car will thank you. "Be kind to your ass, for it bears you" as Muir says.

Jeremby wrote:
is highway travel a bad idea during more lively hours of the day?

I guess it depends on how "lively" it gets. My bus sits happily at 60mph, will do 65 if needed. Right lane always when on freeways, I'm not passing anyone at 60mph. Hazards on when hill climbing. Anytime someone is about to pass me I am searching the shoulder for a safe escape in case they do not move over. Check mirrors frequently! These cars are not as visible as new cars and do not have the acceleration to make a quick reaction. I drive like a motorcyclist: pretend I'm invisible and drive defensively.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

We have owned and driven this car long distances for about 7 years now. The furthest we have driven to this point is 11 hours straight. That is through the mountain passes. We are planning several more long distance trips this summer.

I do not carry any spare parts, not even a spare tire, just a hand full of tools. What I do carry though is a jerry can or two of gas as the fuel stops here can be few and far between.

^^^This is a picture of us on our first trans-mountain 11 hour trip at the summit of the Rodger's Pass. That was with the tired 1600 DP engine that came with the car. Yes we are pulling a trailer with a canoe on it! We used about 2 1/2 quarts of oil on that trip.

^^^This is the same route 3 years later after an engine upgrade. That is the trip that the transmission started to show it's age and would pop out of 4th gear on a hard bump.

I have been through nearly every part of this car over the years and upgraded/renewed them with good used parts and some new parts all except the wiring harness. That is this winter's project.

^^^This is how it sits today with a late model IRS and 4 wheel disc brake upgrade. We are ready to travel as soon as it warms up a bit more!

I trust this car to take us anywhere in North America anytime we want to go. Just toss in some extra fuel, this Beetle tank is pretty small!

Don't be so timid! These cars were meant to be driven distances and they are perfectly comfortable doing it!

Last edited by oprn on Thu May 16, 2024 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

I took my bus along with 2 other Buses and a Ford Van on a 2400 mile trip from Bishop GA to Northport MI and back. We had no issues than a little preventive maintenance.

We avoided highways as much as possible, but had no trouble when we had to use the highway. Drive it and enjoy it!

74 Bug
63 Bug
87 Scirocco
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

I'd confidently drive the Ghia's anywhere. Cars were made to drive however I do feel that since they have survived for more than a half century they deserve to rest a bit more.

I've ventured a couple of hundred miles with no issues. The time in the seat is a killer. Anything longer than an hour is about all can take these days.

That being said, the jackassery on the roads and general inattention of others put's me at additional risk that I just don't want to chance anymore.

When I do take a longer trip I definitely route plan and try to avoid the worst roads and traffic. It's not easy when you live in a larger metropolitan area.

You really have drive these old cars very defensively.
Happy trails Cool

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

Yes, stick to less travelled roads and off hours if you can. I take on the the biker mindset that everyone on the road hates me and is trying to kill me. It's worked so far...
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

VWs were built to be daily drivers and as long as they are in decent shape and have regular maintenance, you should be able to drive it as far as you'd like and in most conditions. Sitting unused for long periods of time is more of a problem than driving them often.

I drove my 73 Bus coast to coast a few times (once stopping only for gas) and had no issues. The only time I hesitated to drive it was in crush hour traffic on hot days. The Bus was fine but my clutch leg got tired and I sweat my but off.

With my 76 Westy now, I don't hesitate to drive it anywhere but it's not stock so that doesn't count. We regularly drive 500 to 1000 miles on long weekends and put about 8,000 - 12,000 miles on the Bus a year.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Mon May 27, 2024 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

These are 50+ year old cars for the most part nowadays, so if you're going to take them long distance, you'll need to know how to work on them, and have all the critical mechanical components in good enough shape for long trips. That said, I've repaired and restored most of the systems in my car over the years, to the point where I'm comfortable taking it on very long trips -- up to 400+ miles per day or more on some occasions.
oprn wrote:
Yes, stick to less travelled roads and off hours if you can. I take on the the biker mindset that everyone on the road hates me and is trying to kill me. It's worked so far...

Totally agree with oprn's take above -- for road safety purposes, best to imagine yourself as being on a big, slower motorcycle. Maintain 360° "yellow alert" awareness of your surroundings, and always leave yourself plenty of room for emergency maneuvering & extra stopping distance!

My car is a comfortable 65 mph cruiser (stock 1600 DP), but a lot of our local highways and interstates now have 75 mph or even 80 mph speed limits, which effectively means many people will be regularly blowing past you at 90+ mph. That speed differential is a little too big for my personal tastes safety-wise, so I tend to avoid those higher speed limit roads as much as practicable. The slower back highways are usually more scenic and suited to leisurely/interesting travel anyway... Smile

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
These are 50+ year old cars for the most part <snip>

My car is a comfortable 65 mph cruiser (stock 1600 DP), but a lot of our local highways and interstates now have 75 mph or even 80 mph speed limits, which effectively means many people will be regularly blowing past you at 90+ mph. That speed differential is a little too big for my personal tastes safety-wise, so I tend to avoid those higher speed limit roads as much as practicable. The slower back highways are usually more scenic and suited to leisurely/interesting travel anyway... Smile

I'm with baldessariclan... I don't want to scream my buggy down the road to keep up with other people who aren't even paying attention Shocked

Besides, I noticed last time I had my buggy out... I sit about eyeball level to a Camry (or insert ricer of your choice) door handle. EVERYTHING ELSE is bigger than me!

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

slayer61 wrote:
Besides, I noticed last time I had my buggy out... I sit about eyeball level to a Camry (or insert ricer of your choice) door handle. EVERYTHING ELSE is bigger than me!

Oh ya! lots of that going around these days!

And not just Buggies either!

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

How far?
I'll let Ralph answer the question.

Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

One thing is for certain…
My time on this plain of existence will end behind the wheel of a Karmann Ghia.
That trip will be incredible 😎

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

I would trust our 69 Westfalia to go anywhere anytime, and any distance. Realistically, I would not want to because the comfort and fatigue factor.
The contrary tune is that our 2002 Eurovan camper is incredibly comfortable and easy to drive. I would not only trust it to drive it anywhere anytime any place but I would enjoy the ride.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

I average over 30,000 miles a year on my VW, I wouldn’t think twice about hopping in it & driving it across country.

Like previously mentioned, I tend to take the back roads, I’d rather be the fastest car on a slow road, than the slowest car on a fast road. Besides, the scenery is so much better off the beaten path.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

Like previously mentioned, I tend to take the back roads, I’d rather be the fastest car on a slow road, than the slowest car on a fast road.

Quoted for truth Idea

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Distance | How far would you trust your VW to take you? Reply with quote

I've had VWs as my daily driver for many years (1970s through 1990s). So I made them reliable, slowly, by fixing what broke and eventually rebuilding engines, transaxles, brakes, steering, wiring. VWs responded well to as-you-go, side-of-the-road fixes to get me home, done with a promise to them that I'd fix it right when I got home. I regularly drove from SoCal to the Bay Area without incident, but I always brought my tools and expected spares.

Now that they are cars for leisure and pleasure, I have had the time (and being older, the resources) to do more preventive repairs and rebuilding. At this point I'd drive them much longer distances. In the last two months I finally got the last of the major work done on my camper bus (steering, brakes, engine, trans), and now I'd take her anywhere. I would consider the west coast Treffen if it starts up again.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback

Last edited by KTPhil on Fri May 17, 2024 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: